#21 Deerslyr

Deerslyr

Disliker of Nut Kicking

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23807 posts
  • LocationGod's Country!

Posted 27 July 2017 - 11:12 AM

I'm gonna freaking do this, Guys!  It'll take me a while to dig everything out and get it back together, but it's happening!

George... what recipe you gonna do?  Like I said, I'll be a couple of weeks out, but want to do it as well.  You want to formulate a recipe based on the link earlier in the thread?

I'm gonna freaking do this, Guys!  It'll take me a while to dig everything out and get it back together, but it's happening!

George... what recipe you gonna do?  Like I said, I'll be a couple of weeks out, but want to do it as well.  You want to formulate a recipe based on the link earlier in the thread?

#22 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53518 posts

Posted 27 July 2017 - 11:32 AM

It also occurs to me (and correct me if I'm wrong) but isn't Spotted Cow a little on the fizzy side? Does it seem like it's carbed up a little higher than some of the other offerings? I'm just going on long-term memory at this point but I seem to remember it being a little prickly. :D

#23 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16523 posts

Posted 27 July 2017 - 11:37 AM

It also occurs to me (and correct me if I'm wrong) but isn't Spotted Cow a little on the fizzy side? Does it seem like it's carbed up a little higher than some of the other offerings? I'm just going on long-term memory at this point but I seem to remember it being a little prickly. :D

I don't think so. I'll pay attention to it later when I'm having one.

#24 pkrone

pkrone

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 499 posts
  • LocationTejas

Posted 27 July 2017 - 12:48 PM

Folks on another forum who know the brewmaster at NG say it's actually closer to a kolsch than anything else.      I put a little corn in mine and it's great, but not a kolsch.   

#25 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68748 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 27 July 2017 - 02:02 PM

Just got back from WI and liked Spotted Cow enough that it might get me brewing again for the first time in 5 years. I don't honestly think I'll ever get back to hobby level brewing, but I'm thinking I could make this as sort of a regular kitchen chore.

So, she's anyone have a clone recipe for this beer? It's called a farmhouse ale, but it had only the barest hint of funk. I think it's more like a yeasty cream ale, but label says 1516 compliant.

Any ideas?

I think they are meaning a homestead in Wisconsin type of farmhouse, not the Westrn Euro funky beer

#26 Deerslyr

Deerslyr

Disliker of Nut Kicking

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23807 posts
  • LocationGod's Country!

Posted 27 July 2017 - 02:53 PM

Folks on another forum who know the brewmaster at NG say it's actually closer to a kolsch than anything else.      I put a little corn in mine and it's great, but not a kolsch.   

Interesting... I met Deb and Dan Carey at an alumni function my little Montana college had out at their brewery. (long story short is she went to the same college and was roommates with the one of the college big-wigs for fundraising)  Great people.  Innovative business people.  They had *just* gone "employee owned" before we had our function out there.  

Very tight lipped on what goes in their beers.

Can I get a link to the comment in the other forum?  Am just curious given my proximity to the brewery and shared alumni status with the President.  If you aren't comfortable posting it here, a PM would be fine.  Or you can tell me to just go pound sand.  :-)

#27 BrewerGeorge

BrewerGeorge

His Royal Misinformed

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 47784 posts
  • LocationIndianapolis

Posted 27 July 2017 - 05:04 PM

George... what recipe you gonna do? Like I said, I'll be a couple of weeks out, but want to do it as well. You want to formulate a recipe based on the link earlier in the thread?

Not sure yet, but I'll let you know. I'm realistically a couple of weeks out too. My heating element isn't even installed and I'll have to clean verdigris off all my copper and replace houses.

#28 pkrone

pkrone

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 499 posts
  • LocationTejas

Posted 27 July 2017 - 07:19 PM

Here's the thread on lowoxygenbrewing.com

https://www.lowoxyge...5&t=22&start=30

#29 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53518 posts

Posted 27 July 2017 - 08:07 PM

Interesting... I met Deb and Dan Carey at an alumni function my little Montana college had out at their brewery. (long story short is she went to the same college and was roommates with the one of the college big-wigs for fundraising)  Great people.  Innovative business people.  They had *just* gone "employee owned" before we had our function out there.  

Very tight lipped on what goes in their beers.

Can I get a link to the comment in the other forum?  Am just curious given my proximity to the brewery and shared alumni status with the President.  If you aren't comfortable posting it here, a PM would be fine.  Or you can tell me to just go pound sand.  :-)

I had sent an email to NG about something (Moon Man, maybe) and I got a very nice and very personal email back from Deb Carey telling me that the brewing industry is too competitive for her to give out any information and that she would politely decline giving me any information. I understood. But what was also weird was that a friend of mine had gone on the NG tour a few months before me and he told me that Dan Carey was the tour guide (our tour guide was just some random employee) and that on the tour my friend asked Dan all sorts of questions and got a lot of in-depth answers. At some point they must have decided not to share much.

#30 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18047 posts

Posted 28 July 2017 - 04:58 AM

I had sent an email to NG about something (Moon Man, maybe) and I got a very nice and very personal email back from Deb Carey telling me that the brewing industry is too competitive for her to give out any information and that she would politely decline giving me any information. I understood. But what was also weird was that a friend of mine had gone on the NG tour a few months before me and he told me that Dan Carey was the tour guide (our tour guide was just some random employee) and that on the tour my friend asked Dan all sorts of questions and got a lot of in-depth answers. At some point they must have decided not to share much.

I was going to joke earlier in this thread about asking them for the recipe because I knew what the response would be.  I remember an old Brewing Network Sunday Show where he was on.  It was customary for the brewer to give a recipe or tips how to brew one of their beers.  He was having NO part of that and went on a soap box about it.  

#31 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53518 posts

Posted 28 July 2017 - 05:44 AM

I was going to joke earlier in this thread about asking them for the recipe because I knew what the response would be.  I remember an old Brewing Network Sunday Show where he was on.  It was customary for the brewer to give a recipe or tips how to brew one of their beers.  He was having NO part of that and went on a soap box about it.

The funny thing is that I have had brewers give me ALL KINDS of information about a beer and I would even go as far as saying that it's the norm for a brewer to share information. I've had some places completely ignore a request, other places kindly say no but most will give you something like "2-row, wheat, C60, Nugget, Mt. Hood, Northern Brewer, British Ale yeast". Okay I'll figure it out. I've even had people tell me exact percentages, IBUs, SRM, ABV and even how cool to ferment the beer. One of those brewers I actually knew so that doesn't count but still... they seem more likely to share with homebrewers than not.

#32 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18047 posts

Posted 28 July 2017 - 05:47 AM

The funny thing is that I have had brewers give me ALL KINDS of information about a beer and I would even go as far as saying that it's the norm for a brewer to share information. I've had some places completely ignore a request, other places kindly say no but most will give you something like "2-row, wheat, C60, Nugget, Mt. Hood, Northern Brewer, British Ale yeast". Okay I'll figure it out. I've even had people tell me exact percentages, IBUs, SRM, ABV and even how cool to ferment the beer. One of those brewers I actually knew so that doesn't count but still... they seem more likely to share with homebrewers than not.

Agree, and as we all know, the recipe is a very small part of the finial product.

#33 Deerslyr

Deerslyr

Disliker of Nut Kicking

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23807 posts
  • LocationGod's Country!

Posted 28 July 2017 - 07:18 AM

There might be a difference between Deb and Dan's approaches.  I know I sent an e-mail while out in Cali asking about Spotted Cow.  I played up the "dislocated Wisconsonite" along with my "shared alumni status" and got the same response.  But maybe Dan likes to talk and maybe goes further in his discussions than she knows?

#34 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18047 posts

Posted 28 July 2017 - 07:24 AM

There might be a difference between Deb and Dan's approaches.  I know I sent an e-mail while out in Cali asking about Spotted Cow.  I played up the "dislocated Wisconsonite" along with my "shared alumni status" and got the same response.  But maybe Dan likes to talk and maybe goes further in his discussions than she knows?

See above, I do not think he does at least from his response on the BN.  He indicated he did not want people to clone his beer when they can just buy it.  

#35 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53518 posts

Posted 28 July 2017 - 07:45 AM

See above, I do not think he does at least from his response on the BN.  He indicated he did not want people to clone his beer when they can just buy it.

Maybe when he's talking to a person in an email it's one thing but when he's doing a show that many people will listen to... something else.

#36 Deerslyr

Deerslyr

Disliker of Nut Kicking

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23807 posts
  • LocationGod's Country!

Posted 28 July 2017 - 09:13 AM

Maybe when he's talking to a person in an email it's one thing but when he's doing a show that many people will listen to... something else.

This is more what I meant. 

It's an interesting dynamic for sure.  I think she really drives the overall success of the business.  If  could make a living working for them, I'd love to.

#37 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16523 posts

Posted 31 July 2017 - 07:50 PM

I don't think so. I'll pay attention to it later when I'm having one.

Ok I have had a few of these since last week. Its certainly a pleasant, easy drinking beer. I didn't think the carbonation was considerably different than what you might expect from most American ales. It is fruitier than I recalled. More hoppy too. Not hoppy, hoppy, but more so than I would have guessed before paying more attention to it this time. To my tastes it is a yeast and hop driven beer. Malt character is low. Basemalt character is very low, enough so that I could not begin to guess if it was made with pils or 2-row pale or what. Color is a slightly darker richer yellow than simply a ~1.045 beer that is basement alone, me thinks. I can't tell if the fruitiness is hop or yeast driven so I'll guess yeast since there is suspicion of Kolsch yeast at work here. Some light hoppy floral/spice in the finish. Spitballing I might start with a recipe that looks something like this for 6 gallons post boil. Somebody tell me where I am off.

IBU 18-20 (max.)

XX% 2-row

15-20% Wheat malt

6-8oz of something like Carahell or other very light crystal

Mash to finish ~1.007-10

Bittering hop of your choice, maybe something noble/American noble derivative

1/2oz. of American noble of choice or a blend @15 (crystal/sterling/liberty etc)

1/2oz.of the same thing again @5 

WY2565

#38 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53518 posts

Posted 31 July 2017 - 08:54 PM

Seems totally reasonable. I agree with your grist and the general idea of the hop types and the schedule too. 2565 seems like a winner not only because there is fruitiness to the beer but also because of the haze. I have been able to get 2565 to drop bright but it's stubborn so if NG made the beer with no effort to clear it, I could see it staying hazy. But... you're saying that it's hoppy but you show 18-20 IBUs. Is that because of low bittering levels but then you taste the 15 and 5 additions? I could see George making this and liking it. You have to start somewhere and if George can sample it and compare it that could help zero it in on batch #2. George, there will be a batch #2, right?

#39 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16523 posts

Posted 31 July 2017 - 09:34 PM

2565 seems like a winner not only because there is fruitiness to the beer but also because of the haze.

Right, which they claim to be the yeast.

But... you're saying that it's hoppy but you show 18-20 IBUs. Is that because of low bittering levels but then you taste the 15 and 5 additions? 

Yes exactly. Bitterness is quite low but there is some discernible character/flavor for sure.

And look, I'm no expert here. But were it mine, according to what I am tasting, this is where I would start.

#40 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53518 posts

Posted 01 August 2017 - 07:03 AM

I agree. Based on what we know from them and tasting the beer... this seems like a good jumping off point. Good luck George & keep us posted!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users