#21 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68757 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 31 July 2017 - 10:26 AM

Yes, if you have a 20amp breaker on that circuit.

just as an example:

8g with 2KkW and a starting temp of 50 will take 1:40 to boil.  Swap that to a 5.5kW element and you are at 36 minutes.

a small batch system for say, 3 gallon batches might be OK for 120V

#22 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 31 July 2017 - 10:27 AM

a small batch system for say, 3 gallon batches might be OK for 120V

37 minutes for 3g.

My small system is still 240v.  My RIMS is 120 but that is to maintain temps.

#23 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68757 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 31 July 2017 - 10:31 AM

37 minutes for 3g.

My small system is still 240v.  My RIMS is 120 but that is to maintain temps.

ahh

the only saving grace for someone stuck with 120V seems to be that those are the extreme numbers, as we rarely heat the full volume from 50F to 212F in one step, initial strike would be 3 gallons from 60F to around 165F.

#24 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 31 July 2017 - 10:38 AM

ahh

the only saving grace for someone stuck with 120V seems to be that those are the extreme numbers, as we rarely heat the full volume from 50F to 212F in one step, initial strike would be 3 gallons from 60F to around 165F.

24 minutes

#25 jayb151

jayb151

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1137 posts
  • LocationBatavia

Posted 31 July 2017 - 10:38 AM

the problem is that it will take a LONG time to heat up 5+ gal of liquid with 120V.

Even if I used multiple elements?

#26 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68757 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 31 July 2017 - 10:40 AM

24 minutes

mostly acceptable, during that 24 minutes there are other things to do

you'd need multiple 20 amp circuits, at that point you might as well run 240V wiring

#27 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 31 July 2017 - 10:48 AM

they would need to be on separate breakers.

mostly acceptable, during that 24 minutes there are other things to do

I think it takes me about that to heat up my strike water but that is close to 8g.  I try to get done as quick as I can so time in important to me. 

#28 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68757 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 31 July 2017 - 10:55 AM

I think it takes me about that to heat up my strike water but that is close to 8g.  I try to get done as quick as I can so time in important to me. 

No question 240V is the way to go, if you already have the wiring in place, I'm just exploring options.

#29 jayb151

jayb151

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1137 posts
  • LocationBatavia

Posted 31 July 2017 - 11:02 AM

Ah! There's the rub. I've got multiple outlets in the garage, but I'm sure they're all on the same breaker.

#30 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 31 July 2017 - 11:17 AM

Ah! There's the rub. I've got multiple outlets in the garage, but I'm sure they're all on the same breaker.

Yup, the only way to get that to work is have them all on separate or else you will pop the breaker.

No question 240V is the way to go, if you already have the wiring in place, I'm just exploring options.

Lucky for me my brew room has the electric panel right in it.  I had to run maybe 10 feet of wire.

#31 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68757 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 31 July 2017 - 11:38 AM

Lucky for me my brew room has the electric panel right in it.  I had to run maybe 10 feet of wire.

:notworthy:

that'd be nice

#32 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 31 July 2017 - 12:00 PM

the logistics of getting plumbing, drains, ventilation into my basement would have me a bit daunted but if I were to build a new house a brew room would def be part of the house.  well that and highly functional "not-for-show" kitchen with it.

#33 jayb151

jayb151

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1137 posts
  • LocationBatavia

Posted 31 July 2017 - 12:22 PM

Yup, the only way to get that to work is have them all on separate or else you will pop the breaker.

Yea, min'es actually going to be pretty easy I think. The breaker and my brew space are on opposite ends of the house, but it's straight up out of the box and through the attic. Then back down through the ceiling of the garage. Should be easy enough!

(i hope)

#34 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68757 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 31 July 2017 - 12:50 PM

Yea, min'es actually going to be pretty easy I think. The breaker and my brew space are on opposite ends of the house, but it's straight up out of the box and through the attic. Then back down through the ceiling of the garage. Should be easy enough!

(i hope)

unless it's a low hip roof attic

#35 jayb151

jayb151

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1137 posts
  • LocationBatavia

Posted 31 July 2017 - 02:06 PM

unless it's a low hip roof attic

I have no idea what that means.  :blink:

What I will say is that one of my first projects in the new house was to get those damn bats out of the attic! I had to crawl through the attic (because I couldn't walk or crouch) and clean up that pile of shit they left me!

I assume you mean something like that. Yes going through the attic sucks, but at least it's doable!

#36 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68757 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 31 July 2017 - 02:26 PM

I have no idea what that means.  :blink:

What I will say is that one of my first projects in the new house was to get those damn bats out of the attic! I had to crawl through the attic (because I couldn't walk or crouch) and clean up that pile of shit they left me!

I assume you mean something like that. Yes going through the attic sucks, but at least it's doable!

there isn't much attic on a hip roofed house, like this, they are a pain (literally) to work in

800px-Chicago_bungalow.jpg

#37 jayb151

jayb151

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1137 posts
  • LocationBatavia

Posted 31 July 2017 - 02:44 PM

Yea, my place is like that if the floorplan was a rectangle. I can attest, it is a pain to work in. But I saw that the guy before used the attic to run power to the garage, so I think I'll follow suit with 240.

#38 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68757 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 31 July 2017 - 03:59 PM

Yea, my place is like that if the floorplan was a rectangle. I can attest, it is a pain to work in. But I saw that the guy before used the attic to run power to the garage, so I think I'll follow suit with 240.

was just looking up in mine yesterday (new house to me) it's tight, I am going to put an antenna up there and run coax down to 3 tvs

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users