#41 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68748 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 18 August 2017 - 01:46 PM

I'll see if it's done fermenting tonight and turn down the temp if so.  Then I've got to clean kegs and rebuild the whole serving setup.  I know I've got CO2 but no hoses are connected and that includes serving hose.

last year when I bottled my 21 bottles for entries at the Fair, I left my homemade filler apparatus attached to the system, it's goat a  leak.

#42 Bklmt2000

Bklmt2000

Five Way Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10650 posts
  • LocationCincinnati, OH

Posted 18 August 2017 - 02:28 PM

Guess I could give it some gelatin, too.  Or does that go in the serving keg?  I've forgotten so much!  :crybaby:

Preferably in the keg.  If you can get the beer cold first, as mic said, the gel works better.

Make up gel solution, dump into sanitized keg, and rack beer onto gel.  Super effective.

#43 BrewerGeorge

BrewerGeorge

His Royal Misinformed

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 47781 posts
  • LocationIndianapolis

Posted 18 August 2017 - 10:06 PM

Still bubbling once every 7 seconds, so I guess I'll work on the draft system tomorrow.

Check me on another vague memory: if I cold crash that fermenter with a 3 piece airlock, it's gonna suck the sanitizer down isn't it?

#44 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68748 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 19 August 2017 - 10:46 AM

Still bubbling once every 7 seconds, so I guess I'll work on the draft system tomorrow.

Check me on another vague memory: if I cold crash that fermenter with a 3 piece airlock, it's gonna suck the sanitizer down isn't it?

yes

S airlock or foil

#45 Bklmt2000

Bklmt2000

Five Way Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10650 posts
  • LocationCincinnati, OH

Posted 19 August 2017 - 11:12 AM

yes

S airlock or foil

I use 3-pc airlocks, and I've found that if the airlock is filled to the fill-line and no higher, no sanitizer gets sucked back into the primary. 

Filled beyond the fill line, and some sanitizer will likely end up in the fermenter.

I've also found that in my fridge, the airlock liquid tends to freeze solid after only a couple of days in the fridge, so this might be an anomaly.

#46 BrewerGeorge

BrewerGeorge

His Royal Misinformed

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 47781 posts
  • LocationIndianapolis

Posted 23 August 2017 - 07:56 AM

Alright, I am - By God - going to rack that beer into a keg tonight.  I bought replacement gaskets for the keg yesterday (Ever wonder what 5 year old diet root beer smells like?) but came home to find my wife had stacked a bunch of furniture in front of my garage sink.  She'd been to the consignment shop and picked up a dresser for us, but a bunch of other stuff for family and friends.  Most of that shit should be gone today so I can actually work in the garage.

It's going to be old-school racking with the auto-siphon.

#47 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68748 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 23 August 2017 - 08:48 AM

Alright, I am - By God - going to rack that beer into a keg tonight.  I bought replacement gaskets for the keg yesterday (Ever wonder what 5 year old diet root beer smells like?) but came home to find my wife had stacked a bunch of furniture in front of my garage sink.  She'd been to the consignment shop and picked up a dresser for us, but a bunch of other stuff for family and friends.  Most of that shit should be gone today so I can actually work in the garage.

It's going to be old-school racking with the auto-siphon.

I still use mine, I just fill the keg with CO2 and leave the gas post on flowing at very low pressure, and fill from the bottom.

#48 BrewerGeorge

BrewerGeorge

His Royal Misinformed

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 47781 posts
  • LocationIndianapolis

Posted 23 August 2017 - 07:02 PM

It's beer, Boys!

Tiny bit of a DME undertone, and I devalued that Citra a bit much so it's a little more bitter than I intended, but it's a nice simple APA.  1.045 down to 1.006, 5% ABV.

It's too late tonight for the gas and bev line setup, so we'll just consider this a cold crash overnight.  Keg setup and force carb tomorrow.

Now for cleanup.

#49 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts
  • LocationCoconut Creek, FL

Posted 24 August 2017 - 05:49 AM

Congrats Man, way to jump back in. What's next on the brewgenda?

#50 BrewerGeorge

BrewerGeorge

His Royal Misinformed

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 47781 posts
  • LocationIndianapolis

Posted 24 August 2017 - 05:54 AM

I think the next thing on my agenda is to defrost my freezer, which requires me using the fermentation fridge as a freezer during the process.  So that will put me OOC for a week-ish.

Then I'm going to start trying to figure out that Spotted Cow clone.  I think I've got a line on a guy to bring me back a 12er for comparison purposes.

#51 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts
  • LocationCoconut Creek, FL

Posted 24 August 2017 - 06:33 AM

I think the next thing on my agenda is to defrost my freezer, which requires me using the fermentation fridge as a freezer during the process.  So that will put me OOC for a week-ish.

Then I'm going to start trying to figure out that Spotted Cow clone.  I think I've got a line on a guy to bring me back a 12er for comparison purposes.

Can always throw in a Saison in the meantime, no fridge no problem :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users