#1 Bklmt2000

Bklmt2000

Five Way Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10650 posts
  • LocationCincinnati, OH

Posted 11 August 2017 - 06:41 PM

Checked on my batch of hard cider I made Wednesday, and it's bubbling away nicely in a Better Bottle.

Found myself watching the yeast at work, swirling around like a snowglobe; a lava lamp for adults.

Took me back to when I was a newbie brewer and fermented all of my batches in glass carboys, watching the yeast hard at work during primary.

Still cool, all these years later.

#2 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68748 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 11 August 2017 - 06:54 PM

Checked on my batch of hard cider I made Wednesday, and it's bubbling away nicely in a Better Bottle.

Found myself watching the yeast at work, swirling around like a snowglobe; a lava lamp for adults.

Took me back to when I was a newbie brewer and fermented all of my batches in glass carboys, watching the yeast hard at work during primary.

microbiological aquarium

#3 djinkc

djinkc

Comptroller of Non-Defending Defenders of Inarticulate Twats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts
  • Locationout the backdoor

Posted 12 August 2017 - 12:53 PM

Yeah, this first gallon of cider is in plastic with an airlock.  Kinda fun to watch since beer in in stainless and behind a closed door here.

#4 Bklmt2000

Bklmt2000

Five Way Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10650 posts
  • LocationCincinnati, OH

Posted 12 August 2017 - 01:04 PM

Just spent a couple more minutes observing the yeast in action; it's almost hypnotic.  :D

#5 ncbeerbrewer

ncbeerbrewer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2210 posts
  • LocationRaleigh NC

Posted 12 August 2017 - 02:09 PM

Always been a fan of glass or plastic for this very reason. The wonders of brewing 👌🏻

#6 CarlosM

CarlosM

Señor Joykill

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12344 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 12 August 2017 - 03:10 PM

did you huff it? YOU HAVE TO HUFF IT.

#7 Bklmt2000

Bklmt2000

Five Way Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10650 posts
  • LocationCincinnati, OH

Posted 12 August 2017 - 07:42 PM

did you huff it? YOU HAVE TO HUFF IT.

Truth be told, I did take a couple of sniffs off the airlock. Smelled like apples and awesome. 

Looking forward to this batch in a month or so.

#8 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts
  • LocationCoconut Creek, FL

Posted 15 August 2017 - 05:11 AM

I'm right there with you. I find myself checking on a batch a couple times a day just to see the movement. I sniff airlocks too :)

#9 Bklmt2000

Bklmt2000

Five Way Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10650 posts
  • LocationCincinnati, OH

Posted 15 August 2017 - 06:32 AM

I've noticed with this batch (used Munton's Gold for the yeast) that the scent of apple is stronger than in prior batches, which tended to smell more yeasty and less apple-y, at least until the main ferment was done.

I've noticed far less sulfur; kinda nice to walk down to the basement and not get an olfactory bludgeoning.

MG might become my new favorite cider yeast; will have to wait to make that call until tasting, but so far, i like what i'm seeing/smelling.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users