#1 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts
  • LocationCoconut Creek, FL

Posted 15 August 2017 - 11:40 AM

Although I make what I believe to be pretty good beer, I still buy my fair share to enjoy and also R&D for future batches. Lately I’ve noticed that the store shelves are not interesting me half as much as they used to. Total Wine etc always have huge varieties but more and more I’m making comparisons to my own, or what I'd like to make and I'm walking out and thinking why spend the money. To me this is huge because I’m my best/worst critic and if I’d rather not crack the wallet and instead crack one of mine then so-be-it. So how do you think your brew stacks up to commercial craft?
Do you buy a lot off the shelf?
Are you buying less?
If you do is it for simple quaffable beer or R&D or other?
Do you love your beer over the other guys stuff?

#2 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18047 posts

Posted 15 August 2017 - 11:51 AM

I brew a lot and buy my fair share too.  I have noticed I am buying more and more single cans and not 4/6 packs especially for hoppy beers.  While I like the new hoppy beers I find that I cannot drink as much of them as I could before, I seem to get heartburn from them.  I have noticed I am buying more lagers and European beers for R&D and inspiration.  One thing I have noticed is that I am tired of seeing only IPAs on the shelf and I love IPAs and hops.  I really wish there would be a bit more variety out here. Sometimes I just wish I cold find a nice brown ale :)

#3 BrewerGeorge

BrewerGeorge

His Royal Misinformed

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 47784 posts
  • LocationIndianapolis

Posted 15 August 2017 - 11:55 AM

Heartburn from the hops was one of the first signs that I had before becoming intolerant of them.

#4 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts

Posted 15 August 2017 - 12:03 PM

I brew a lot and buy my fair share too.  I have noticed I am buying more and more single cans and not 4/6 packs especially for hoppy beers.  While I like the new hoppy beers I find that I cannot drink as much of them as I could before, I seem to get heartburn from them.  I have noticed I am buying more lagers and European beers for R&D and inspiration.  One thing I have noticed is that I am tired of seeing only IPAs on the shelf and I love IPAs and hops.  I really wish there would be a bit more variety out here. Sometimes I just wish I cold find a nice brown ale :)

I think you just nailed my visits to the liquor store how I buy my beer. I thought you were Joe Hop guy though. Is it the commercial stuff that's giving you the burn? I tired out of IPA's and the like a long while ago and have definitely gravitated toward lagers and Euro beers in general. Variety is waning and IPA's seem to be getting generic in taste (to me). Denny's Noti Brown is on my to-do list.

Heartburn from the hops was one of the first signs that I had before becoming intolerant of them.

I'm glad that you're getting a chance to circle back :)

#5 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9090 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 15 August 2017 - 12:10 PM

Heartburn from hops?  Never heard of that one before.

I don't buy a lot of beer these days.  Of course, I don't drink a lot of beer these days.

#6 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18047 posts

Posted 15 August 2017 - 12:15 PM

It is not all hoppy beers.  Mainly from NEStyle IPAs.  I feel it has to do with their water treatment.

I think you just nailed my visits to the liquor store how I buy my beer. I thought you were Joe Hop guy though. Is it the commercial stuff that's giving you the burn? I tired out of IPA's and the like a long while ago and have definitely gravitated toward lagers and Euro beers in general. Variety is waning and IPA's seem to be getting generic in taste (to me). Denny's Noti Brown is on my to-do list.

I still love my hops, really do and love brewing them but I just wish There were a few more options out there.  Yes, only commercial beers seem to give me the heartburn and my gut is that it is related to water treatment.

#7 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts

Posted 15 August 2017 - 12:19 PM

It is not all hoppy beers.  Mainly from NEStyle IPAs.  I feel it has to do with their water treatment.

I still love my hops, really do and love brewing them but I just wish There were a few more options out there.  Yes, only commercial beers seem to give me the heartburn and my gut is that it is related to water treatment.

I'll bet you are right

#8 matt6150

matt6150

Moderately Accelerated Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10544 posts
  • LocationMooresville, NC

Posted 15 August 2017 - 02:06 PM

I rarely buy beer myself. I just went on road trip that entailed 23 breweries that I bought a bunch of beer along the way, But besides that it is rare. It seems the quality has gone down across the board. Half the shelves or more are IPA's. If I do buy beer it is something easy drinking that I take camping or to some other event.

#9 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16523 posts

Posted 15 August 2017 - 02:14 PM

I feel it has to do with their water treatment.

What specifically?

#10 djinkc

djinkc

Comptroller of Non-Defending Defenders of Inarticulate Twats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts
  • Locationout the backdoor

Posted 15 August 2017 - 06:28 PM

I hardly ever buy in the store anymore.  Occasionally something when we're out to eat.  I don't think I've bought 12 this year.

#11 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 15 August 2017 - 07:14 PM

Heartburn from hops? Never heard of that one before.

I don't buy a lot of beer these days. Of course, I don't drink a lot of beer these days.

I feel like I must have missed something.

I pretty much only want hoppy beers if it's commercial. But I don't buy any unless it's at a bar.

#12 BrewerGeorge

BrewerGeorge

His Royal Misinformed

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 47784 posts
  • LocationIndianapolis

Posted 15 August 2017 - 10:07 PM

I've been drinking a lot of SNPA for the last few weeks. Thought I'd venture out a bit tonight and looked at a wall of beer 80 ft wide. Only one other beer advertised as an APA among all of them. I bet there were 100 different brews there and just two of what I'd consider the baseline craft beer. There were 40 IPAs of course.

I bought a Founder's Centennial because I thought it was a delicious centennial APA I drank years ago, but they've turned it into an IPA now too - it's good beer, but not the easy drinker I wanted.

#13 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18047 posts

Posted 16 August 2017 - 04:18 AM

What specifically?

Chloride level maybe?  Post treating the beer with acid after fermentation to get a certain pH of flavor?  I have also thought that it may be some kind of extract being used late for hop aroma or even the luplin powder that is hot.  Seems to have started in the last 8 months with one brewery.  It could also be I am just not used to it, I do not get it often because it is a PITA.

I bought a Founder's Centennial because I thought it was a delicious centennial APA I drank years ago, but they've turned it into an IPA now too - it's good beer, but not the easy drinker I wanted.

I think that is my issue these days.  The beers, even double IPAs are WAY to easy to drink.  I think I just need a bit more bitterness in my beers.  I like the smooth IPAs and IIPAs but not all the time.

#14 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts

Posted 16 August 2017 - 05:50 AM

I rarely buy beer myself. I just went on road trip that entailed 23 breweries that I bought a bunch of beer along the way, But besides that it is rare. It seems the quality has gone down across the board. Half the shelves or more are IPA's. If I do buy beer it is something easy drinking that I take camping or to some other event.

My personal opinion only but the IPA thing is worn out and quality is definitely an issue with MANY. Easy drinking is what I seek out and have been making for the last several batches.

#15 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18047 posts

Posted 16 August 2017 - 06:01 AM

My personal opinion only but the IPA thing is worn out and quality is definitely an issue with MANY. Easy drinking is what I seek out and have been making for the last several batches.

Worn out on who though?  It seems that every brewery that opens has about 6 IPAs and 1 or 2 other beers.  Maybe it is just the area I am in but if you open and don't have an IPA you will not last, sad but true.

#16 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts

Posted 16 August 2017 - 06:15 AM

Worn out on who though?  It seems that every brewery that opens has about 6 IPAs and 1 or 2 other beers.  Maybe it is just the area I am in but if you open and don't have an IPA you will not last, sad but true.

Worn out on me. Many of my beer buddies feel the same. But that's my thoughts not meant to intrude on others. I agree about having to have the IPA's to please the masses at present. Btw I wouldn't turn away an IPA but I'd search the menu for something other first.

#17 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18047 posts

Posted 16 August 2017 - 06:21 AM

Worn out on me. Many of my beer buddies feel the same. But that's my thoughts not meant to intrude on others. I agree about having to have the IPA's to please the masses at present. Btw I wouldn't turn away an IPA but I'd search the menu for something other first.

Agh, okay.  I understand now.  I would not mine a shift where there are still IPAs but also some other styles, variety is not a bad thing!

#18 LeftyMPfrmDE

LeftyMPfrmDE

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 592 posts
  • LocationDelaware

Posted 16 August 2017 - 07:00 AM

I haven't bought beer in a few weeks now. I feel the same that selection at the store has become monotonous. I used to work part time at total wine years ago, and helped me get into the craft movememt and ultimately, brewing. But grow tired of my selection is either bmc, or a wall of ipa in the reach in cooler. While i love an ipa, freshness has become an issue; cant stand plucking down close to 10 bucks for a six pack and have it that oxidized hop flavor.

Om thr rare times i do go out, theres a local nano that only has 4 ipas out of 12 taps, so theres that. On the same hand, theres a 150 lbs of grain in the garage, and ive been making session strength apas, pilsners, and stouts; so i can have a couple after work and not wake up fuzzy headed.

#19 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68748 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 16 August 2017 - 11:34 AM

I have been drinking mostly macro lager this summer, it's been hotter than heck, and I just now got the brewery back up and running, been through a lot of PBR and High Life.

#20 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts

Posted 16 August 2017 - 12:08 PM

I have been drinking mostly macro lager this summer, it's been hotter than heck, and I just now got the brewery back up and running, been through a lot of PBR and High Life.

Maybe it's nostalgia about my Dad but there's always a couple PBR, Miller, Natty etc in my beer fridge. He ran the gamut of cheap beer haha. Hot as balls here too. Hotter than a siracha enema.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users