#1 BrewerGeorge

BrewerGeorge

His Royal Misinformed

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 47946 posts
  • LocationIndianapolis

Posted 18 August 2017 - 09:12 AM

My LHBS is having their yearly grain sale right now, and I'm going to go ahead and take the plunge.  

I'll get Breiss White Wheat, 50# for $49.99, but want some advice on the barley because I don't have experience with all the malters.

Options are:

Avengard German Pilsner malt 55# for $45.99

Breiss 2-row 50# for $46.99

Canada Malting 2-row 55# for $47.99  (can also get their Pilsen or Pale Ale malt at this price)

Best Malz  PIlsner 55# for  $47.99

Great Western Northwest Pale or basic 2-row 50# for $48.99

I'm looking for the most versatile option and will probably make mostly pales, that Cow clone (if I figure it out) and wheats. I've used the Breiss and Best Malz before and thought they were fine.

Any reason not to just pick the lightest, cheapest Avengard?

#2 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 18 August 2017 - 10:12 AM

Personally I prefer Best to Avengard.  Seems to be more full flavored.  IMO you can't go wrong with Great Western.

#3 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 18 August 2017 - 10:21 AM

I got a sack of Avangard recently and while OK I think I would spend the few bucks and get Best if it was me.

#4 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68757 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 18 August 2017 - 11:17 AM

Personally I prefer Best to Avengard.  Seems to be more full flavored.  IMO you can't go wrong with Great Western.

I make almost all of my beers based on Great Western 2-Row Pale + appropriate specialty grain.

#5 BrewerGeorge

BrewerGeorge

His Royal Misinformed

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 47946 posts
  • LocationIndianapolis

Posted 18 August 2017 - 11:22 AM

No love for Canada Malting? Or nobody's used it?

#6 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68757 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 18 August 2017 - 11:33 AM

I have never seen it out here.  Seems kinda odd that you are seeing both GW and CMC in the same store.

#7 matt6150

matt6150

Moderately Accelerated Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10549 posts
  • LocationMooresville, NC

Posted 18 August 2017 - 12:11 PM

I've used it a lot. Seems to work great for me. I just ordered a sack of it last night actually.

#8 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 18 August 2017 - 12:24 PM

For pale I use it not for pils.

#9 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 18 August 2017 - 12:54 PM

No, it's pretty good.  In the GW range but IMO not quite as flavorful.

#10 gnef

gnef

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2533 posts
  • LocationAtlanta

Posted 18 August 2017 - 04:46 PM

I used CMC 2-row for many years when it was the cheapest available through NCM. Once they were absorbed, prices increased. Now, avangard is the cheapest, and I use their pils primarily. I have only used it on one batch so far though, so I don't have an opinion really on it yet. Once I get more batches under my belt with it, I'll be able to have a better idea. I am already committed though, so if I don't like it, I'll need to figure out how to adjust.

#11 djinkc

djinkc

Comptroller of Non-Defending Defenders of Inarticulate Twats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts
  • Locationout the backdoor

Posted 19 August 2017 - 05:02 PM

CMC is fine IMO.  Maybe not a flavorful as others but it's a solid base grain.  There's no law against throwing in some Munich with it sometimes.  I have a source again for bulk buys again that carries it and is closer.  I've gone through a couple bags and have no regrets going back.  That extra five pounds adds up after a while too.

#12 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68757 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 19 August 2017 - 08:22 PM

CMC is fine IMO.  Maybe not a flavorful as others but it's a solid base grain.  There's no law against throwing in some Munich with it sometimes.  I have a source again for bulk buys again that carries it and is closer.  I've gone through a couple bags and have no regrets going back.  That extra five pounds adds up after a while too.

the extra 5 lbs is  fine point

#13 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 21 August 2017 - 04:18 AM

I've been using CMC for years.  makes excellent beer.

#14 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53972 posts

Posted 21 August 2017 - 08:02 PM

George, have you checked out Label Peelers? I have gotten two sacks of this great SWAEN malt from Holland (one Pils and one Pale Ale) and each one was under $40. Yes it would be shipped but it's coming from Kent, Ohio so your shipping charges would be low. I got those two sacks delivered to me for cheaper than I could pick them up locally. If LP is not having a sale at this very moment, just wait a week and they drop prices. A nod to Chils for turning me onto them. I have not used the Swaen Pale Ale malt yet but I have a run of pale ales coming up. The Swaen Pils has made a delicious American Lager, a Helles, a Vienna, a Festbier and some other beers that have not been sampled yet. It's really nice.

#15 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 22 August 2017 - 04:12 AM

I agree on checking out LP and other options.  I can get $1/lb on sacks of grain at most homebrew shops.  the real deal is to get yourself tacked on to a small brewers order.

#16 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 22 August 2017 - 05:05 AM

I agree on checking out LP and other options.  I can get $1/lb on sacks of grain at most homebrew shops.  the real deal is to get yourself tacked on to a small brewers order.

LP turned out to not be much of a savings for me after shipping, I wish I was closer.  I talked to a brewer and he was cool with ordering but because of how he orders I needed to get a full pallet worth, that was not going to happen.  I miss the $26 bags of CMC pale!

#17 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53972 posts

Posted 22 August 2017 - 06:09 AM

It also depends on local grain costs which seem to vary widely. I used to be able to get a 50-55 pound sack of something for $45 but then it was $50, $55, $60, etc. I mentioned this somewhere else too but many homebrew shops are not equipped to sell full sacks of grain. They keep the sacks in the back of the store and just fill buckets that are out in the main part of the store as needed so when you come in and ask for a full sack of Rahr Pale Ale malt they wince and tell you no. That allows the places that do allow it to charge more for it. For me it's the best of all worlds... I order it online, it's cheaper (for me) and it comes right to my door. Based on George's prices from his post, he might be able to save money since LP is in a neighboring state which would keep shipping costs lower.

#18 BrewerGeorge

BrewerGeorge

His Royal Misinformed

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 47946 posts
  • LocationIndianapolis

Posted 22 August 2017 - 06:50 AM

Good idea, Ken, but shipping is still $17+.  I'd imagine they'd be competitive at other times of the year even with that shipping, but right now my LHBS is still better.

#19 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68757 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 22 August 2017 - 11:48 AM

of those options I think I'd go with either the CMC 2-Row or Best Pilsner

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users