#1 CaptRon

CaptRon

Comptroller of jokes about violence against women

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 31546 posts
  • LocationRight behind you!

Posted 20 April 2009 - 09:21 AM

So I am going to need a CO2 Manifold here really soon to split up my CO2 regulator to 4 kegs. :)Anyone done their own manifold and be willing to share how they did it?

#2 stellarbrew

stellarbrew

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 682 posts
  • LocationAcworth, GA

Posted 20 April 2009 - 09:49 AM

I have always just split off from the main CO2 line with the nylon barbed tee fittings. At the end of each tubing drop, I attached the gas ball lock coupling. No valves are necessary, since the ball lock coupling will close itself off when not attached to a keg. This is the simplest and cheapest way to do it. However, I've been thinking of getting a manifold just for the sake of aesthetics.

#3 CaptRon

CaptRon

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 31546 posts

Posted 20 April 2009 - 09:57 AM

I have always just split off from the main CO2 line with the nylon barbed tee fittings. At the end of each tubing drop, I attached the gas ball lock coupling. No valves are necessary, since the ball lock coupling will close itself off when not attached to a keg. This is the simplest and cheapest way to do it. However, I've been thinking of getting a manifold just for the sake of aesthetics.

I think that would work for me for a while. I would just need a couple of tee's then. :)

#4 Sidney Porter

Sidney Porter

Comptroller of the Banninated

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 29248 posts
  • LocationColumbus OH

Posted 20 April 2009 - 10:45 AM

for a couple kegs the tee work fine, but in my experience onece you get above a couple the manifold works well.It is nice to be able to shut off kegs 2-4 if you want to force carb beer 1 quickly. Obviously you can disconnect the other 3 but if in a fridge may be difficult to get to the ones in the back. I have also notices that gas popitswill sometimes stick open not a big deal if there is a disconnect on it, but could lose pressure if you disconnect.I also reduce pressure when I bottle from a keg. you will need to disconnect the other kegs, since they will all want to equalize to the higher pressure. I would get the cheap nylon t and see if you get frustrated.

#5 HerrHiller

HerrHiller

Comptroller of HerrHiller

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2936 posts
  • Locationcanton,ohio

Posted 20 April 2009 - 10:48 AM

So I am going to need a CO2 Manifold here really soon to split up my CO2 regulator to 4 kegs. :)Anyone done their own manifold and be willing to share how they did it?

I personally dont use a manifold.. I jut bought 3 co2 regulators.. and i put them together with nipples. they have to be left handed threaded 1/2inch OD male pipe threaded nipples... but ya. this way i can regulat each keg at a different pressure but still use on co2 bottle.. Posted Image

#6 ChefLamont

ChefLamont

Comptroller of Fear

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9729 posts
  • LocationAtlanta

Posted 20 April 2009 - 10:54 AM

I have built my own with valves, t-fittings, nipples, and barbed fittings. Looking back, i dont think I saved any money, and it was a PITA to get it completely leak free. I had a leak and blew thorough a 20#er of CO2. I thought I got it all sealed up, and then proceeded to blow through another 20#er, albeit slower because of the slower leak. So, if I had it to do over, I would just buy one of the pre-made ones from a place like micromatic or somewhere. But that is just me. YMMV yada yada.

#7 Rustybrew

Rustybrew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 99 posts
  • LocationFort Worth, TX

Posted 20 April 2009 - 11:57 AM

I use this:Posted Imagehttps://www.homedepo...03 90016 5244036 bucks plus the fittings to hook up 3 kegs. I used lots of Teflon tape to make sure it wouldn't leak and it is working like a champ. I found some cheap backflow preventers with a threaded fitting on one end and a barb on the other. I couldn't find them looking online though.I dumped the whole assembly in the pool while pressurized to double check for leaks.

#8 CaptRon

CaptRon

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 31546 posts

Posted 20 April 2009 - 12:09 PM

I use this:Posted Imagehttps://www.homedepo...03 90016 5244036 bucks plus the fittings to hook up 3 kegs. I used lots of Teflon tape to make sure it wouldn't leak and it is working like a champ. I found some cheap backflow preventers with a threaded fitting on one end and a barb on the other. I couldn't find them looking online though.I dumped the whole assembly in the pool while pressurized to double check for leaks.

Item not available. Do you know what the part was called?

#9 pods8

pods8

Grand Duke of Near Misses

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28429 posts
  • LocationThornton, CO

Posted 20 April 2009 - 12:13 PM

I used an aluminum manifold that had 1/4" holes tapped into it. I used small ball valves and plugged the rest with some brass 1/4" plugs. I run 5 lines off the manifold at serving pressure. My second regulator I just run one line for an oddball pressure, carbing, beer gunning, etc.Posted Image

#10 Rustybrew

Rustybrew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 99 posts
  • LocationFort Worth, TX

Posted 20 April 2009 - 12:43 PM

Item not available. Do you know what the part was called?

Husky 3-Way Manifold, 1/4 In. NPTFModel HDA30800AV$6.49/EA EachNow that I think about it the backflow preventer and barbs may have been seperate pieces, but I got them from the hardware store not the homebrew store. Saved big bucks doing it that way.

#11 matt6150

matt6150

Moderately Accelerated Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10549 posts
  • LocationMooresville, NC

Posted 20 April 2009 - 02:40 PM

Here is the one I built brom a piece of aluminum tube I found laying around at work. I drilled and tapped four 1/4 pipe holes for the fairly pricey (12 bucks each) shutoff valve with internal check valve. Then tapped the two ends, one which I plugged and the other I put a fitting in for the gas line coming from the regulator/co2 tank. Attached to the inside of my freezer with some adel clamps and its been good to go.Posted Image

#12 Kremer

Kremer

Comptroller of MS Paint Diagrams and other vague unspecified stu

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9173 posts
  • Location38.360502, -85.311022 (Louisville, KY area)

Posted 21 April 2009 - 04:45 PM

I looked around and even priced up parts from McMaster when I built my keg fridge, but I couldn't build a 6 way manifold myself for any better a price than just ordering it from B3, which is what I ended up doing.

#13 dondewey

dondewey

No Life

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11638 posts
  • LocationVA

Posted 21 April 2009 - 04:49 PM

No manifold here for 7 kegs, but then again, I've always had all 7 hooked up. I have scavenged the majority of the parts, but then never decided it was worth it.

#14 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64049 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 21 April 2009 - 05:43 PM

I looked around and even priced up parts from McMaster when I built my keg fridge, but I couldn't build a 6 way manifold myself for any better a price than just ordering it from B3, which is what I ended up doing.

I think if you really want the check valves it's tough to beat the commercially available options, but it can be done.

#15 djinkc

djinkc

Comptroller of Non-Defending Defenders of Inarticulate Twats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts
  • Locationout the backdoor

Posted 21 April 2009 - 05:56 PM

I went with three 3 hole manifolds from micromatic or somewhere like that. The price was right at the time and I really don't think I could have pieced it together cheaper. And bought check valves from somewhere similar. Two are tied together (6 lines) with one regulator for carbing and serving, the other is on a separate regulator, usually for the same but I can set it to oddball setting when needed. And one line on the separate 3 hole manifold has a black out connection for purging kegs through the serving diptube. I used to fast carb with that one too but found it wasn't worth the effort since it also stirred up any yeast that was still in the keg. So the fast carb was basically worthless since I had to let things settle for a few days before serving anyway.

#16 hullabrew

hullabrew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
  • LocationLincoln, NE

Posted 21 April 2009 - 08:34 PM

I went with the one from B3 too because it was relatively inexpensive, and it can be expanded or reduced.

#17 Yeasty Boy

Yeasty Boy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
  • LocationFt Collins

Posted 23 April 2009 - 05:56 PM

I already have a bunch of check valves and ball valves. Thinking I'll sweat a copper manifold for my 6 faucets and maybe another one with two outlets for bottling/carbing. (I have two regulators in series.) Plumbing is supposed to be rated at something like 300 psi, right? Should easily handle my needs - even the 45 psi force carbing.

#18 Recklessdeck

Recklessdeck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
  • LocationLawrence

Posted 23 April 2009 - 06:01 PM

Here is the one I built brom a piece of aluminum tube I found laying around at work. I drilled and tapped four 1/4 pipe holes for the fairly pricey (12 bucks each) shutoff valve with internal check valve. Then tapped the two ends, one which I plugged and the other I put a fitting in for the gas line coming from the regulator/co2 tank. Attached to the inside of my freezer with some adel clamps and its been good to go.Posted Image

Since no one else has said it that is very slick! Nice that the "pricy" things were the shutoff valves. This is a real DIY co2 manifold.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users