136 replies to this topic

#41 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

Open Letter (and similar documents) Comptroller

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 01 May 2010 - 04:44 AM

mmmm Alt .. is 620 to early to start drinking??

I just tasted a hydro sample so I'd say no.

#42 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64053 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 01 May 2010 - 05:03 AM

beer tastes good 24 hours a day

#43 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64053 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 01 May 2010 - 07:38 AM

might as well - I'll probably end up buying it b/c I want to start making alts I think.

Defintely. Pils is one of those that it never hurts to have on hand. I think I'm going to up my Pils to 2 sacks. I have a feeling I'm going to be hitting the Pils pretty hard this year.I'd be interested in some Vienna, if you're willing to part with it.Would anyone be down for some smoked malt? If it's the classic rauchmalt, I'm going to pick up a sack.So far we have:JK: 2 MO, 2 USPA, 2 Pils, 1 Mun, 1 Smokeddrez: 2 MO, 1 USPA, 1 Pils, 1 Wheatzym: 2 MO, 1 GP, 1 USPA, 2 Mun, 1 Pils, 1 Viennadrez club: 2 USPA, 1 Pilsbdutton: ???Still thinking on the cleaning products. I'm thinking about going with caustic for CIP cleaning and acid for CIP sanitizing. They also have a buttload of chemicals from Enerco. I'm going to take a look into those as well to see if they have better pricing on equivalent products to Five Star.We already have about the same amount of stuff we ordered last year, so once bdutton comes back with his order and we decide on chemicals I'll get the quote. I don't know when I'm going to order. I'm going to be traveling most of the next three weeks, so I may not have the order in until the week of the 24th, but that should give us plenty of time to get all the details finalized and monies collected.

#44 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 01 May 2010 - 08:37 AM

I'd be interested in some Vienna, if you're willing to part with it.

I'm actually already splitting that with a guy at my work. Sorry JK :frank:

#45 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 01 May 2010 - 04:19 PM

I'm actually already splitting that with a guy at my work. Sorry JK :frank:

JK if you want to split a bag of Vienna I would be down for that. just listened to a Brewing Network show on Vienna Lagers and my interest is peaked.

#46 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64053 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 01 May 2010 - 06:40 PM

JK if you want to split a bag of Vienna I would be down for that. just listened to a Brewing Network show on Vienna Lagers and my interest is peaked.

Sounds good. 50/50?

#47 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 02 May 2010 - 05:00 AM

Sounds good. 50/50?

works for me if that works for you

#48 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64053 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 02 May 2010 - 06:33 AM

works for me if that works for you

yup, I'll add it to the list.

#49 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64053 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 02 May 2010 - 07:11 AM

JK: 2 MO, 2 USPA, 2 Pils, 1 Mun, 1 Smoked, 1/2 Viennadrez: 2 MO, 1 USPA, 1 Pils, 1 Wheat, 1/2 Viennazym: 2 MO, 1 GP, 1 USPA, 2 Mun, 1 Pils, 1 Viennadrez club: 2 USPA, 1 Pilsbdutton: ???6 MO6 USPA5 Pils3 Mun2 Vienna1 GP1 Wheat1 Smoked

Edited by JKoravos, 02 May 2010 - 07:12 AM.

#50 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64053 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 02 May 2010 - 08:09 AM

I've been looking at the cleaners/sanitizers. I think PBW and Saniclean is the way to go. With Saniclean there is almost no price break with bulk (5 gallon pail), the lowest buy-in is a gallon jug for $24 (morebeer sells Saniclean for $15/qt~$60/gal). With PBW there is a big price break when you step up to the 50 pound pail ($3.50/lb for 8# jar vs. $2.40/lb for 50# pail). I don't know about you guys, but I go through a ton of PBW/Oxyclean. I could probably easily use 10#/year. If we can't get a few people in on the pail, we could still do 8# jars for the people who want it.Anyone who is interested in a gallon of Saniclean, or splitting a pail of PBW, post what you want.

#51 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64053 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 02 May 2010 - 08:50 AM

Here's a cool PDF I found on the Five Star site describing the proper cleaning path for all the different process equipment in the brewery: LINK #1 LINK #2It's interesting that they recommend an acid pre-rinse before sanitizing fermenters.EDIT: For some reason Five Star took down all the links to their product information from the website. If you want to search for information on a product, use the Google domain search function and you can still get all the PDFs for the products.

Edited by JKoravos, 02 May 2010 - 09:15 AM.

#52 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 02 May 2010 - 03:14 PM

Do they have any decent deals on hops this year? I could always use a pound or two at the right price.

#53 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64053 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 02 May 2010 - 06:17 PM

I don't know, I'll have to get updated prices when I call.

#54 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 03 May 2010 - 05:53 AM

I've been looking at the cleaners/sanitizers. I think PBW and Saniclean is the way to go. With Saniclean there is almost no price break with bulk (5 gallon pail), the lowest buy-in is a gallon jug for $24 (morebeer sells Saniclean for $15/qt~$60/gal). With PBW there is a big price break when you step up to the 50 pound pail ($3.50/lb for 8# jar vs. $2.40/lb for 50# pail). I don't know about you guys, but I go through a ton of PBW/Oxyclean. I could probably easily use 10#/year. If we can't get a few people in on the pail, we could still do 8# jars for the people who want it.Anyone who is interested in a gallon of Saniclean, or splitting a pail of PBW, post what you want.

I would be down for both. I am always using oxy clean to run through my HERMS and pumps so 10# woudl be nice and the same for the gallon of Saniclean.

#55 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 03 May 2010 - 05:58 AM

I would be down for both. I am always using oxy clean to run through my HERMS and pumps so 10# woudl be nice and the same for the gallon of Saniclean.

I know PBW is supposed to better than oxiclean but I can still get oxiclean for about $1.50/lb if I get it on sale (which I usually do). Are you guys paying more for oxiclean or is PBW really just that much better?

#56 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 03 May 2010 - 06:15 AM

I know PBW is supposed to better than oxiclean but I can still get oxiclean for about $1.50/lb if I get it on sale (which I usually do). Are you guys paying more for oxiclean or is PBW really just that much better?

I use both. But for a real good cleaning of the system, conical and carboys I like PBW.PBW has a surfactant (sp) that helps it rinse away. I have noticed that sometimes Oxy leaves a residue. I have also had some caked on stuff that Oxy did not touch but PBW took care of no problem.

#57 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 03 May 2010 - 06:19 AM

I use both. But for a real good cleaning of the system, conical and carboys I like PBW.PBW has a surfactant (sp) that helps it rinse away. I have noticed that sometimes Oxy leaves a residue. I have also had some caked on stuff that Oxy did not touch but PBW took care of no problem.

What's the ratio of PBW to water? I'm curious how fast I would go through it. I use one regular sized tub of oxiclean every year or so.

#58 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 03 May 2010 - 06:32 AM

What's the ratio of PBW to water? I'm curious how fast I would go through it. I use one regular sized tub of oxiclean every year or so.

I cannot remember off the top of my head but from the willimas brewing site"This four pound jar of PBW will make up to 160 gallons"

#59 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 03 May 2010 - 06:33 AM

I cannot remember off the top of my head but from the willimas brewing site"This four pound jar of PBW will make up to 160 gallons"

Not bad! I might be interested in some PBW then just to try it out.JK - I'm only interested in the PBW if we can get the 50# price. Are we pretty close to that?

#60 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 03 May 2010 - 06:46 AM

Zymo -- good to have you back on the board!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users