#1 CaptRon

CaptRon

Comptroller of jokes about violence against women

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 31546 posts
  • LocationRight behind you!

Posted 27 March 2009 - 02:52 PM

So I need advice on planning to change my Rubbermaid 10 gallon cooler from using a Phill's false bottom to a manifold or braid. For the braid, then only challenge that I'm finding is that I haven't been able to find a true stainless water supply line at HD or Lowes - they seem to be making them out of some other material (can't remember, poly something maybe??). So I'm thinking of making a manifold.The design in my head is a simple roundish one using copper 45's and pieces of 1/2" copper tubing between each 45. Then I would need to figure out a different bulkhead as what I have currently is just a plastic spigot that was supplied with the coolers in the HBA Mashing system that I got a few years ago.So I felt like I was hijacking the other thread about the manifold, so I created this for your guys' ideas. What do you think?

#2 JReigle

JReigle

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 120 posts
  • LocationSan Leandro, CA

Posted 27 March 2009 - 03:05 PM

For the braid, then only challenge that I'm finding is that I haven't been able to find a true stainless water supply line at HD or Lowes - they seem to be making them out of some other material (can't remember, poly something maybe).

If you're considering the braid, since you're in the Bay check out OSH for stainless braids, I've had poor luck at HD and Lowes, too. Lowes does have a stainless water heater hose that is much, much thicker than the toilet supply line, but I've not tried it, looks like it would be almost as beefy as a Bazooka.

#3 Kremer

Kremer

Comptroller of MS Paint Diagrams and other vague unspecified stu

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9173 posts
  • Location38.360502, -85.311022 (Louisville, KY area)

Posted 27 March 2009 - 03:17 PM

The braid I used was 1/2 of a watts 4' washing machine hose from Lowes.For a round tun I think you are on the right track with 45's the bulkhead fitting in my ice cube is a 1/2" thread 'hose bib' ball valve, on the inside is a 1/2 thread to sweat fitting, all from Lowes.

#4 chuck_d

chuck_d

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1022 posts
  • LocationAtlanta, GA

Posted 27 March 2009 - 03:24 PM

Just curious as to why you are giving up on the false bottom...

#5 CaptRon

CaptRon

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 31546 posts

Posted 27 March 2009 - 03:30 PM

Just curious as to why you are giving up on the false bottom...

It just seems to be a little restrictive on the flow. I seem to be getting a stuck sparge that I have to struggle with every time. Maybe i'm doing something wrong with it, but it just seems to be a pain in that regard.

#6 chuck_d

chuck_d

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1022 posts
  • LocationAtlanta, GA

Posted 27 March 2009 - 03:59 PM

Yeah, I have a 10 gallon Gott cooler MLT myself with a false bottom. I too have had some bad stuck sparges, but usually when using tons of wheat. I've outgrown the size of the cooler now that I like to do 10 gallon batches though and am thinking of getting a large rectangular cooler and just sticking a bazooka in it.

Edited by chuck_d, 27 March 2009 - 04:17 PM.

#7 MolBasser

MolBasser

Comptrolled by Seahawks

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15351 posts
  • LocationChico, CA

Posted 27 March 2009 - 04:13 PM

If you are using a round/tall cooler, then the stuck sparge could be because your grain bed is too deep.I am a very large proponent of wider shallower grain beds, and would never personally recomend a circular tall cooler for a mash tun.In my opinion, you will not get better flow from a braid or a manifold over a false bottom. I don't have any data to back this up, just mentally picturing the hydrodynamic possibilities.BrewBasser

#8 CaptRon

CaptRon

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 31546 posts

Posted 27 March 2009 - 04:35 PM

If you are using a round/tall cooler, then the stuck sparge could be because your grain bed is too deep.I am a very large proponent of wider shallower grain beds, and would never personally recomend a circular tall cooler for a mash tun.In my opinion, you will not get better flow from a braid or a manifold over a false bottom. I don't have any data to back this up, just mentally picturing the hydrodynamic possibilities.BrewBasser

So do the guys that are using a 15.5 gallon keg system with a stainless false bottom have the same issues or are the stainless false bottoms just a little better at the job than this platic one I got?

#9 MolBasser

MolBasser

Comptrolled by Seahawks

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15351 posts
  • LocationChico, CA

Posted 27 March 2009 - 04:47 PM

Yes.In fact a buddy of mine at work was lamenting just this issue about his keggle mash tun.Keggles make fine kettles, but the demensions are just not there for high efficiency lautering (of course they do work, but they are not perfect).BrewBasser

#10 Iceman

Iceman

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 27 March 2009 - 07:58 PM

Ive used these from NB with good results:https://pivo.norther...rm=false bottomnever a stuck sparge, at least due to the FB.Ice

#11 chuck_d

chuck_d

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1022 posts
  • LocationAtlanta, GA

Posted 27 March 2009 - 11:12 PM

Ive used these from NB with good results:https://pivo.norther...rm=false bottomnever a stuck sparge, at least due to the FB.Ice

Yeah, I've got the 12" there in a 10 gallon Gott cooler. Back in July I did a mash for 10 gallons of Quiet Storm and my mash go so stuck it's the 4 gallons of Imperial Oatmeal Stout I decided to age for 9 months.

#12 beach

beach

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1160 posts
  • LocationMichiana

Posted 28 March 2009 - 06:33 AM

The Lowes in my area carry a 1/2" x 5' washing machine supply that has a large stainless braid. I've use this with very good sucess.

#13 Kremer

Kremer

Comptroller of MS Paint Diagrams and other vague unspecified stu

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9173 posts
  • Location38.360502, -85.311022 (Louisville, KY area)

Posted 28 March 2009 - 07:06 AM

The Lowes in my area carry a 1/2" x 5' washing machine supply that has a large stainless braid. I've use this with very good sucess.

That watts hose was my source for stainless braid.

#14 Dave

Dave

Grammaraticus of Titty Money

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32475 posts
  • LocationLugnar Island

Posted 28 March 2009 - 07:08 AM

Lowes does have a stainless water heater hose that is much, much thicker than the toilet supply line, but I've not tried it, looks like it would be almost as beefy as a Bazooka.

This is what I have but got it at the Home Depot.... works great!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users