#1 ncbeerbrewer

ncbeerbrewer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2210 posts
  • LocationRaleigh NC

Posted 28 March 2009 - 07:27 AM

Ok so I am interested in getting some feedback from all of you here about this topic. Is making yeast starters using Malta Goya an acceptable means to build your yeast population for brewing or is this just an idea for when you are in a bind or pinch? I have used DME all the time for the yeast starters that I make for all of my liquid yeast fermentations. For me the LHBS is not close and DME is espensive as heck too I say. I don't have a stir plate I just do the basic starter aerate by hand before I pitch method. I am just wondering what the acceptable approach is to Malta Goya use. I know DME provides all kinds of nutrients for yeast of course too. Just looking for direction or how to approach this set up. If using Malta is acceptable as a regular item anyone know some good online resources with the steps to follow to make a starter. Appreciate the assistance. Mike

#2 djinkc

djinkc

Comptroller of Non-Defending Defenders of Inarticulate Twats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts
  • Locationout the backdoor

Posted 28 March 2009 - 07:51 AM

Never used malta goya. When I'm in a pinch I put a paintstrainer bag in a kettle with a gallon or so of water. One pound of crushed grain. Basically a no sparge single infusion mash. Mash for 20 min, boil for 10, cool and pitch. That seems easier to me than canning a bunch of starter or running out and buying some malta goya. Just another way around it.

#3 Mashman

Mashman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 553 posts
  • LocationGunnison CO

Posted 28 March 2009 - 08:01 AM

I have a pressure cooker, so I can starters. I did a 2 G batch stove top this winter and that should last me quite a while. If I were in a pinch I would use DJ's method.Mashman

#4 brewhead

brewhead

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 245 posts

Posted 28 March 2009 - 08:02 AM

i've heard a lot of people talk about malta goya but never met anyone that uses it. stir plates are easy enough to make. muffin fan from an old computer. the magnets from a dead hard drive and you'll have to buy a stir bar.this one was made from the same list of stuff and housed in a dead external hard drive case.stir plate

#5 ncbeerbrewer

ncbeerbrewer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2210 posts
  • LocationRaleigh NC

Posted 28 March 2009 - 08:12 AM

I like the suggestions already DJ's would work well I say also. If I decide to get a stir plate and I really am I think my question goes down the drain. It will be DME for sure. I am thinking of building a Stir plate. Cheapest new one I have seen is $78.

#6 Lagerdemain

Lagerdemain

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 148 posts

Posted 28 March 2009 - 08:25 AM

My method is to make 12 gallon batches of double-strength starter wort (1.080) then pressure can them. Generally, I'll get somewhere around 50 quart jars of starter wort which lasts me a while, but not forever. I generally try to work it out so I have a starter wort brew day when my fermenters are already full and I'm down to less than a dozen or so remaining jars.When I'm ready to use the starter wort, I just dilute with sanitized water and go. Works out pretty well for me. For example, this morning I prepared four different starters in about five minutes. If I were going to use DME for that, well...I'd rather not think about it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users