#21 MolBasser

MolBasser

Comptrolled by Seahawks

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15351 posts
  • LocationChico, CA

Posted 09 August 2010 - 06:05 PM

I think the technical term is "Strig", but yeah, the central stem.If they have too much water in them they will spoil. A couple of days is no biggy.MolBasser

#22 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68757 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 09 August 2010 - 06:14 PM

I don't think it's heat that's the cause, apparently you guys aren't familiar with Yakima in the summer, it's freaky hot down there in the summer

#23 MolBasser

MolBasser

Comptrolled by Seahawks

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15351 posts
  • LocationChico, CA

Posted 09 August 2010 - 09:34 PM

Not Chico hot.I guarantee that.MolBasser

#24 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68757 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 09 August 2010 - 09:53 PM

Not Chico hot.I guarantee that.MolBasser

no, but closer than you'd thinkaverage is within 3 degrees for July and August on average high

#25 MolBasser

MolBasser

Comptrolled by Seahawks

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15351 posts
  • LocationChico, CA

Posted 09 August 2010 - 10:00 PM

I bet it is more humid up there though.MolBasser

#26 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68757 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 09 August 2010 - 10:10 PM

I bet it is more humid up there though.MolBasser

Rain Shadow of the Cascades, but slightly higher Yakima is a hot dry place, like most of Central Washingtonthey only get 8.6 inches of rain annually Chico get 4 times that, yikesall I am saying is Yakima is more inhospitable temperature wise than most would believe when compared to the traditional Hop Growing regons of the World.

#27 BarelyBrews

BarelyBrews

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1631 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 11 August 2010 - 06:18 PM

Basser ,looks like your math was accurate for me atleast. From 11 oz wet i got 3oz dry,my second harvest was 6.75 oz, and im expecting 2oz , a third harvest i shall get but could be less than that.Still,it's been a good year for me.Now what to do with Cascade hops? :P

#28 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

Open Letter (and similar documents) Comptroller

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 12 August 2010 - 02:44 AM

I think the technical term is "Strig", but yeah, the central stem.If they have too much water in them they will spoil. A couple of days is no biggy.MolBasser

so how many days is a biggie? they've been out there since saturday night and they seem dry to me but the strig isn't snapping as far as I can tell.

#29 ANUSTART

ANUSTART

The Drunk Dump Truck Euphanism.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3268 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 12 August 2010 - 07:21 AM

Anyone use a dehydrator on their hops? We just got one and I'm thinking of trying it. I believe it goes down to 90 or 95 degrees.

#30 BarelyBrews

BarelyBrews

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1631 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 12 August 2010 - 07:30 AM

Anyone use a dehydrator on their hops? We just got one and I'm thinking of trying it. I believe it goes down to 90 or 95 degrees.

I ended up using one on mine,i don't have temp setttings on mine.I would check them every thirty minutes or so,and rotate the trays around.Worked OK.

#31 Kremer

Kremer

Comptroller of MS Paint Diagrams and other vague unspecified stu

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9173 posts
  • Location38.360502, -85.311022 (Louisville, KY area)

Posted 12 August 2010 - 12:46 PM

Here's the vertical flow hop dryer I built last year from spare parts at the house:Posted Image.Posted Image12v squirrel cage blower and power supply, some window screen, and a copy paper box. Notice the wood pieces glued in the corners of the lid to keep the box/screen up off the bottom.It worked well last year but took a couple days. This time I may duct the fan to suck _hot_ air out of the attic, or maybe just put the whole thing in the attic.That's a whole 5gal bucket of cones in there, room for more :P

Edited by Kremer, 12 August 2010 - 12:47 PM.

#32 jimdkc

jimdkc

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4967 posts
  • LocationIndependence, MO

Posted 12 August 2010 - 02:10 PM

I've used a food dehydrator from Harbor Freight. Works pretty well. Keep a eye on it and rotate the trays for even drying. Be careful, though... you want a unit with a heating element and a fan. The current model HF sells is listed as using convection to save energy... meaning it probably doesn't have a fan!Jim

#33 ANUSTART

ANUSTART

The Drunk Dump Truck Euphanism.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3268 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 12 August 2010 - 03:01 PM

I've used a food dehydrator from Harbor Freight. Works pretty well. Keep a eye on it and rotate the trays for even drying. Be careful, though... you want a unit with a heating element and a fan. The current model HF sells is listed as using convection to save energy... meaning it probably doesn't have a fan!Jim

I thought convection just meant blowing hot air. The one I got is the Nesco FD-61. It has a fan, and controllable temp. Last night we dried some banana slices, it worked really well, but it takes a long time.

#34 shmgeggie

shmgeggie

Comptroller of Mythical Creatures

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9205 posts
  • LocationPort Orchard, WA

Posted 12 August 2010 - 03:28 PM

Mic's right on, he just beat me to it. The Yakima valley is extremely hot and extremely low humidity and hops grow really well there.

#35 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

Open Letter (and similar documents) Comptroller

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 13 August 2010 - 03:37 AM

so round 1 harvest of hops was about 7.3oz. they really shrink when you vacuum seal them!

#36 jimdkc

jimdkc

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4967 posts
  • LocationIndependence, MO

Posted 13 August 2010 - 11:40 AM

I thought convection just meant blowing hot air. The one I got is the Nesco FD-61. It has a fan, and controllable temp. Last night we dried some banana slices, it worked really well, but it takes a long time.

Well the word "convection" itself simply means the movement of molecules within a fluid. Natural convection would refer to the natural movement caused by heated air rising and cooler air falling. Forced convection is done usually with a fan or blower of some sort. When they tout "convection" as an energy saving feature, they are probably referring to using natural convection in lieu of a fan. The model that HF currently sells is quite a bit cheaper than my oder model... I'm guessing that lack of a fan is one reason. I'll gladly burn the few extra milliwatts that a fan uses!Sounds like your dehydrator is just fine... better than mine, in fact, since mine has no temp control!Jim

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users