10 replies to this topic

#1 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53518 posts

Posted 16 August 2010 - 11:40 AM

Big ups to my buddy Matt for bringing this to my attention. Victoria Lager (brewed in Mexico since 1865 and never available anywhere else) was launched in Chicago and reportedly California in June. I have had some trouble finding it because it sold out quickly and the brewery (now owned by Grupo Modelo) was not expecting it to take off as it did.Posted ImageBut I did eventually find it and it's as good as I remember. I first had it in 2002 and I just went to MX in December 2009 and drank A LOT of it. This is a light amber-colored Mexican Vienna that is very nice and I don't think it has an American equivalent. Anyone who has heard my breathless description of this beer knows that I really enjoy it. I have put a recipe together (Hacienda Lager) that closely resembles this beer when it's made with WLP940. There has been very little in the way of marketing for this beer (I could find anything relating Pacifico, Corona, etc. when I was in MX, but couldn't find as much as a Victoria t-shirt) and the brewery itself is very close-mouthed about it. I emailed them a number of times asking about anything they would share about making the beer and got NO response. If you happen to find yourself staring at it on a store shelf, pick some up and give it a try. It's delicious! I just bought a case of it and I have a case in the fridge! Cheers.Ps. There's more about this beer on my recipe site (under Hacienda Lager) and also on my Mexican Beer Page. Link to my site is below. Cheers.

#2 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53518 posts

Posted 16 August 2010 - 08:36 PM

There's an interesting (and short) article HERE about Victoria's arrival in the US. Funny how it says that if you Google it, you mostly see American homebrewers trying to duplicate the recipe! Damn right. Cheers.

#3 ChicagoWaterGuy

ChicagoWaterGuy

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3234 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 17 August 2010 - 12:52 PM

Binny's South Loop had a palet of the stuff. At $8.99 for a sixer, I took a pass. I love Negro Modelo, but will only buy it when it dips to the sale price of $12.99 for a 12 pack. I guess I'll try Victoria when the hype dies down and the price is more realistic.

#4 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53518 posts

Posted 17 August 2010 - 02:45 PM

I walked into a big liquor store in an area that is close to me and has a good sized hispanic population. This place carries a lot of Mexican and Latin American beers as well as a number from South America. They had Victoria in full 24-bottle cases for $29... so a little bit better.

#5 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 63979 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 19 August 2010 - 12:14 AM

Sounds tasty, send me some!

#6 Steve Urquell

Steve Urquell

Hot Loader

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3874 posts
  • LocationOzarks

Posted 19 August 2010 - 07:44 AM

Ken, I brewed your clone awhile back and it was tasty. Unfortunately, I haven't tasted Victoria in over 10 years and had no reference.How does your clone compare to the real thing?

#7 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53518 posts

Posted 19 August 2010 - 08:16 AM

Ken, I brewed your clone awhile back and it was tasty. Unfortunately, I haven't tasted Victoria in over 10 years and had no reference.How does your clone compare to the real thing?

Luckily, I just so happened to have a keg of my Hacienda Lager on tap that was just about drained when I got some bottles of the real Victoria. The timing was good. I tapped a glass on mine and then poured some of the Original into another glass. The color was exactly right. The clarity of the real Victoria obviously better than mine although mine was very, very clear. I probably have a smidge more hop presense in mine than in the original which is not a problem. But overall, the two compared very favorably with each other and they are definitely close, no question. IMO, it's the White Labs 940 Mexican Lager yeast that creates the profile that you need to get close to the original. Some websites suggest that 940 is actually Grupo Modelo's yeast and the combination of the Vienna malt, the mild noble hops and the 940 get you right into the ballpark for this beer. Cheers.

#8 jimdkc

jimdkc

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4907 posts
  • LocationIndependence, MO

Posted 19 August 2010 - 09:44 AM

Gotta love a good Vienna Lager! I'll watch for this!EDIT... Just visited your web page, Señor Ken! And I'm even more excited to try this... or even brew it!Jim

Edited by jimdkc, 19 August 2010 - 10:01 AM.

#9 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53518 posts

Posted 19 August 2010 - 10:02 AM

Yes, it's a nice Vienna as interpreted by German & Austrian brewers who modified the recipe to fit the climate and cuisines of Mexico.Posted ImageThe usual caveats apply: Hopheads & high-ABV types will not like this beer unless they have an open mind. People who only like Hefes or Belgians may not like this beer. But I don't think there is an American equivalent to this beer and just because it's from Mexico does not mean it should be discounted. A delicious & beautiful beer! Cheers.

#10 Malzig

Malzig

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 257 posts
  • LocationBOS

Posted 19 August 2010 - 10:46 AM

I hope we get it so I can give it a try. Sounds nice.

#11 Steve Urquell

Steve Urquell

Hot Loader

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3874 posts
  • LocationOzarks

Posted 19 August 2010 - 04:07 PM

Thanks Ken. When I brewed it, I used W-34/70 (WLP830 equiv) When WLP940 becomes available again, I'll brew a batch w/ it. This beer was a favorite of my non-craft beer drinking friends.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users