#1 awall

awall

Comptroller of Being a Cool Dude

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10394 posts
  • LocationRowley

Posted 02 September 2010 - 05:10 PM

Was looking for something malty as we move into cooler (hopefully) weather. This is the first time I've seen this offering from SN. Poured a deep brown wih nice garnet undertones and a rich creamy head that left terrific lacing down the pint. Nose is definitely a bit toasty, hops are nicely muted. I have seen reviews calling it an American brown, but it is nothing like dogfish head's India brown ale. This has a little bite at the end for balance, but is really all about the malt. Great sessionable beer for the fall, will buy more.

#2 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

Open Letter (and similar documents) Comptroller

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 03 September 2010 - 04:25 AM

Was looking for something malty as we move into cooler (hopefully) weather. This is the first time I've seen this offering from SN. Poured a deep brown wih nice garnet undertones and a rich creamy head that left terrific lacing down the pint. Nose is definitely a bit toasty, hops are nicely muted. I have seen reviews calling it an American brown, but it is nothing like dogfish head's India brown ale. This has a little bite at the end for balance, but is really all about the malt. Great sessionable beer for the fall, will buy more.

why would you expect it to be like an india brown ale? I would expect an india brown ale to be a hoppier version of a more standard brown ale.

#3 awall

awall

Comptroller of Being a Cool Dude

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10394 posts
  • LocationRowley

Posted 03 September 2010 - 07:59 AM

why would you expect it to be like an india brown ale? I would expect an india brown ale to be a hoppier version of a more standard brown ale.

the term "american" always seems to be associated with hoppier versions of whatever the style is. so i thought it would lean closer to the india brown than to a traditional brown.

#4 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

Open Letter (and similar documents) Comptroller

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 03 September 2010 - 09:27 AM

the term "american" always seems to be associated with hoppier versions of whatever the style is. so i thought it would lean closer to the india brown than to a traditional brown.

right in order of hoppiest to least hoppy I would expect india > american > english

#5 CaptRon

CaptRon

Comptroller of jokes about violence against women

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 31533 posts
  • LocationRight behind you!

Posted 03 September 2010 - 10:39 AM

I too really liked this beer. I'm not usually a fan of the Brown Ales (Can't stand Newcastle) but this one was definitely one I'd buy again. Not surprised though being it came from Sierra Nevada, they pretty much just knock everything out of the park IMO. <_<

#6 MolBasser

MolBasser

Comptrolled by Seahawks

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15351 posts
  • LocationChico, CA

Posted 10 September 2010 - 07:48 PM

Word.I really like this beer. The smokey note is epic.Very sessionable.Buy more!MolBasser

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users