#21 MolBasser

MolBasser

Comptrolled by Seahawks

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15351 posts
  • LocationChico, CA

Posted 29 March 2009 - 12:22 PM

Seriously, if you batch sparge, you need to rethink brewing.Just my .02BrewBasser

#22 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68757 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 29 March 2009 - 12:25 PM

Seriously, if you batch sparge, you need to rethink brewing.Just my .02BrewBasser

seriously, that kind of comment is why some people steered clear of the board that shalt remain nameless not ball busting just a friendly reminder

#23 MolBasser

MolBasser

Comptrolled by Seahawks

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15351 posts
  • LocationChico, CA

Posted 29 March 2009 - 12:27 PM

:shock:You must forget my reputation from the previous board about this subject.I have always, and will continue to, disparage batch sparging. It is just what I do.People who know me understand this and just move along.I guess if you didn't know me you would be put off......BrewBasser

#24 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68757 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 29 March 2009 - 12:28 PM

:shock:You must forget my reputation from the previous board about this subject.I have always, and will continue to, disparage batch sparging. It is just what I do.People who know me understand this and just move along.I guess if you didn't know me you would be put off......BrewBasser

I am not, you know me.

#25 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64049 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 29 March 2009 - 12:28 PM

What is the difference between batch sparging and fly sparging? I'm not exactly sure what batch sparging actually is.

#26 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68757 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 29 March 2009 - 12:29 PM

in commercial level fly sparging, do you not rake the top of the grain bed?

#27 MolBasser

MolBasser

Comptrolled by Seahawks

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15351 posts
  • LocationChico, CA

Posted 29 March 2009 - 12:30 PM

What is the difference between batch sparging and fly sparging? I'm not exactly sure what batch sparging actually is.

Batch sparging is when you're too lazy to do it right.BrewBasser

#28 Brian72

Brian72

Peter Freer

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 42074 posts
  • LocationYour mom

Posted 29 March 2009 - 12:30 PM

I realize your reputation and you're probably just breakingmy balls. I'd like to know why you think this though.FWIW, I'm still getting used to my system once I'm fully comfortable with it I'll probably try fly sparging at some point, just not now.

#29 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68757 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 29 March 2009 - 12:33 PM

In batch Sparging you add your sparge water 1/2 of it's quantity at a time, run it off add the second batch run it off and boil.in Fly Sparging you manitain a level of sparge water above the grain bed and constantly folw more through the grain until you reach the point beginning your boil.edit awful spelling

Edited by mikeinspokane, 29 March 2009 - 12:37 PM.

#30 MolBasser

MolBasser

Comptrolled by Seahawks

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15351 posts
  • LocationChico, CA

Posted 29 March 2009 - 12:34 PM

I realize your reputation and you're probably just breakingmy balls. I'd like to know why you think this though.FWIW, I'm still getting used to my system once I'm fully comfortable with it I'll probably try fly sparging at some point, just not now.

The efficiency (sp?) is better with fly. Every single pro brewer flys (every single one), it is just cooler any way.....The list goes on.BrewBasser

#31 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68757 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 29 March 2009 - 12:36 PM

i actually do a sorta in between method, I do a batch type sparge but in 3 smaller batches to get a little more rinse, out of the grain.

#32 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64049 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 29 March 2009 - 12:52 PM

In batch Sparging you add your sparge water 1/2 of it's quantity at a time, run it off add the second batch run it off and boil.in Fly Sparging you manitain a level of sparge water above the grain bed and constantly folw more through the grain until you reach the point beginning your boil.edit awful spelling

Well, I guess that's what I assumed it was, but what's the point? How is that easier than fly sparging? You don't have to continuously add water to get the benefit of a fly sparge (even though the name implies it's a continuous process). I add my water in "batches", but I always keep the level of the water above the grain bed and just keep the run-off at a constant slow trickle.I don't know, it just seems weird to me to compromise the process for something that makes it marginally easier (and probably doesn't save any time). But, then again, I've never participated in a fly vs. batch argument, so maybe I'm ill-informed.

#33 Dave McG

Dave McG

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9573 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 29 March 2009 - 12:54 PM

I kind of do #4. On an early batch, I sparged to 6 gallons in the boil and I was a bit shy in the fermenter. The next time, I collected 6.25, and marked my kettle. It came out dead on later in the fermenter, so now I just prepare extra sparge water to keep the mash floating and stop sparging at my mark. My cooler has graduations that are close enough for strike water measurements.

#34 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68757 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 29 March 2009 - 01:00 PM

Well, I guess that's what I assumed it was, but what's the point? How is that easier than fly sparging? You don't have to continuously add water to get the benefit of a fly sparge (even though the name implies it's a continuous process). I add my water in "batches", but I always keep the level of the water above the grain bed and just keep the run-off at a constant slow trickle.I don't know, it just seems weird to me to compromise the process for something that makes it marginally easier (and probably doesn't save any time). But, then again, I've never participated in a fly vs. batch argument, so maybe I'm ill-informed.

It's faster, and slightly less effiecintsparge can be doen in 20 minutes on a 5 gallon batch

#35 Brian72

Brian72

Peter Freer

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 42074 posts
  • LocationYour mom

Posted 29 March 2009 - 01:00 PM

I wouldnt say its for lazy people as much as an easier way to accomplish the same goal as fly sparging.

#36 MolBasser

MolBasser

Comptrolled by Seahawks

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15351 posts
  • LocationChico, CA

Posted 29 March 2009 - 01:09 PM

I don't see it as any easier.Well, I guess I do, but the difference is so trivial..... Just do it right. I don't get it.BrewBasser

#37 Dave McG

Dave McG

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9573 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 29 March 2009 - 01:10 PM

I wouldnt say its for lazy people as much as an easier way to accomplish the same goal as fly sparging.

I personaly find batch to be much harder. With fly, I crack 2 valves open and go eat lunch. When I finish my second sandwich, I turn on the burner. When I'm done with the potato chips and a beer, my kettle is just about to it's mark and nearly boiling.

#38 HoppingFrog Brewing

HoppingFrog Brewing

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
  • LocationNewport, WA

Posted 29 March 2009 - 01:17 PM

Fly sparg takes the same or less time than batch sparging. I have seen people stick their mash when batch sparging. Drying their mash bed. I hear of people sturing their mash (they like grain partical in their boil kettle. ) gives beer a good starchey flavor. Fly sparge or some sort of modified fly sparge works great for maximum grain eficency.

#39 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64049 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 29 March 2009 - 01:19 PM

It's faster, and slightly less effiecintsparge can be doen in 20 minutes on a 5 gallon batch

Why would you choose the compromised method to save a few minutes, though? process related: Do you stir the mash before you run off each batch? I would assume so, but out of curiosity...

#40 CaptRon

CaptRon

Comptroller of jokes about violence against women

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 31546 posts
  • LocationRight behind you!

Posted 29 March 2009 - 01:19 PM

How do people with rectangular coolers fly sparge? I have the round ones right now with the spinning sparge arm, but not sure how that would work in a rectangular cooler. I was thinking that if I switched to a rectangular cooler so I didn't have such a deep grainbed, that possibly using those little sprinklers that you use on a drip system in your garden. Or even maybe those little spinning ones that I've seen used in an airoponic uh, vegetable garden that seems to create like a fine mist of the water being fed to it.. :rolf:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users