#1 Howie

Howie

Feltersnatch

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14607 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC

Posted 18 December 2010 - 11:13 AM

Had a 750 of this beer last night. Jai Alai IPA aged on Spanish Cedar (used for making humidors)While I don't particularly like their IPA, I found this beer to be amazing. The character from the Spanish Cedar was woody, earthy, and spicy. It was quite prevalent in both aroma and taste, but I wouldn't say it was overpowering. Though it was a strong and unusual flavor, it laid down nicely in the beer.Wish I had more. . .

#2 Sidney Porter

Sidney Porter

Comptroller of the Banninated

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 29100 posts
  • LocationColumbus OH

Posted 02 February 2011 - 08:45 AM

I beleive that the original proto type for this beer was at NHC 2006 in Orlando after club night out on the deck near one of the retention ponds. I beleive the the orginal concept was from a homebrewer in Tampa (might of been from Orlando) eventually picked up by Cigar City when they opened a few years ago. I am pretty sure that the homebrewer is not the probrewer at cigar city but I could be wrong. If I remember correctly the original used an old humidor rather than just the spanish cedar might of give it more tobacco flavors, I don't remember it was a long time ago. I have also judged humidor beers a few times. i have no idea if they were from the original brewer or if it just caught on for a period within the FL comp circuit. I assume it is/was a regional fad.

#3 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 63979 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 27 February 2011 - 08:44 PM

Just had the Jai Alai IPA. It was pretty meh. Not up to what I would consider current standards in hop aroma and flavor. The bittering/maltiness was pretty nicely balanced and it has good body. Not one I'd go back to.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users