#1 EWW

EWW

Regular, normal human being

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26154 posts
  • LocationSomewhere special

Posted 19 August 2011 - 04:41 AM

The basic info I'm seeing on them is to add around 4lbs/gallon to around a 1.070-1.1+ sugar/honey solution. Anyone have any other pointers?

#2 MtnBrewer

MtnBrewer

Skynet Architect

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6695 posts
  • LocationThe Springs

Posted 19 August 2011 - 08:34 AM

I'd treat them pretty much like peaches or nectarines except that there's probably no need to skin them. Pit them, slice them up and freeze in freezer bags. 4 lbs./gal. is a lot but I'm a big believer that you can't have too much fruit.

#3 EWW

EWW

Regular, normal human being

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26154 posts
  • LocationSomewhere special

Posted 21 August 2011 - 07:34 AM

I'd treat them pretty much like peaches or nectarines except that there's probably no need to skin them. Pit them, slice them up and freeze in freezer bags. 4 lbs./gal. is a lot but I'm a big believer that you can't have too much fruit.

Thanks. I can get them for cheap from one of my fruit guys, so it's probably worth hitting it heavy with fruit

#4 MtnBrewer

MtnBrewer

Skynet Architect

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6695 posts
  • LocationThe Springs

Posted 21 August 2011 - 08:21 AM

Absolutely!By the way, Redstone makes a plum mel that is pretty good. I'm sure they use juice and not whole fruit so yours should be miles better. I'm just bringing it up to point out that plum is a very good flavor in a mel.

#5 ColdAssHonky

ColdAssHonky

Comptroller of Fashion

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 579 posts
  • LocationPortland, OR

Posted 18 July 2013 - 08:55 AM

Bringing this one back from the dead.

The place I just moved to has an old, established plum tree out front that is producing like crazy. I saw some simple recipes for a plum wine, but it seemed like half the people loved it and the rest hated it.

I'm thinking about a plum cider instead.

So far, I have two 1 gallon freezer bags filled with pitted, quartered fruit. I'm thinking of just thawing and adding the fruit to the juice, no big sugar additions. Other than the additional acidity (which I wouldn't mind), I can't see any reason not to do this.

Any advice?

#6 Genesee Ted

Genesee Ted

yabba dabba doob

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 49855 posts
  • LocationRochester, NY

Posted 18 July 2013 - 04:05 PM

No honey addition? 

#7 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68757 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 18 July 2013 - 04:34 PM

what type of plum? 

#8 ColdAssHonky

ColdAssHonky

Comptroller of Fashion

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 579 posts
  • LocationPortland, OR

Posted 20 July 2013 - 11:24 AM

No honey addition? 

I'm not really looking to up the ABV on this one.

what type of plum? 

I really have no idea. When cut, the fruit looks yellow up top by the stem and purple as it gets lower. That's as much as I know about plums.

#9 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68757 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 20 July 2013 - 01:17 PM

I'm not really looking to up the ABV on this one.

I really have no idea. When cut, the fruit looks yellow up top by the stem and purple as it gets lower. That's as much as I know about plums.

I have 40 lbs of plums in my freezer that will shortly become 10 gallons of wine per one of Jack Kellers recipes

#10 eldernerd

eldernerd

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts
  • LocationMooseville

Posted 22 July 2013 - 06:56 PM

I have 40 lbs of plums in my freezer that will shortly become 10 gallons of wine per one of Jack Kellers recipes

Nice, I have a 3 gallon batch from jacks reciped clearing in a carboy now. The plums i used were deep red and very ripe and juicy so I felt no need to freeze them. 8 lbs of plums gave me almost 1 gallon of juice addition to the must.  It threw my calculations off a bit. So I did the right thing and added 1.5 lbs of wildflower honey! its at SG 1.008 now and tastes Very good. I'll have to hide some under a blanket for 4 years too!

Edited by eldernerd, 22 July 2013 - 06:58 PM.

#11 Genesee Ted

Genesee Ted

yabba dabba doob

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 49855 posts
  • LocationRochester, NY

Posted 23 July 2013 - 05:38 PM

Nice, I have a 3 gallon batch from jacks reciped clearing in a carboy now. The plums i used were deep red and very ripe and juicy so I felt no need to freeze them. 8 lbs of plums gave me almost 1 gallon of juice addition to the must.  It threw my calculations off a bit. So I did the right thing and added 1.5 lbs of wildflower honey! its at SG 1.008 now and tastes Very good. I'll have to hide some under a blanket for 4 years too!

According to this Mic, you will only have 5 gal of must.  What comprises the rest of the recipe?

Also, this would be awesome with pluots 

#12 eldernerd

eldernerd

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts
  • LocationMooseville

Posted 23 July 2013 - 05:52 PM

According to this Mic, you will only have 5 gal of must.  What comprises the rest of the recipe?

Also, this would be awesome with pluots 

I doubled a 1 gallon batch of Jacks wine which usually has about 1.3 - 1.5 gallons total vol in the primary so  I used a 5 gal primary bucket cause i felt i would need it.

This racked real nice into a 3 gallon glass carboy.

jacks recipe - kinda - doubled

PLUM WINE – 2 gallon batch

8 lbs plums

4 lbs sugar

2 gallons water

3 tsp acid blend

2 tsp pectic enzyme

1/4 tsp grape tannin

added my me.. 1.5 lbs honey

#13 Genesee Ted

Genesee Ted

yabba dabba doob

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 49855 posts
  • LocationRochester, NY

Posted 23 July 2013 - 06:39 PM

Nice!  Thank you!

I just looked through Jack's page....  I totally forgot about that site.  It must have been some green board days since I check that out!

#14 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68757 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 24 July 2013 - 12:17 PM

Nice!  Thank you!

I just looked through Jack's page....  I totally forgot about that site.  It must have been some green board days since I check that out!

yeah I was gonna do 4lbs/gallon as well, plus a flat of plum jam that didn't set up all the way

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users