• Please log in to reply
102 replies to this topic

#1 keithd

keithd

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 01 April 2009 - 04:11 PM

This was posted by earthtone on the "other board". It's really good and easy, so I thought I'd re-share it.I just brewed up a ten gallon batch using S-04 instead of the 1084 specified, and it is delicious. :( Here it is, verbatim:-------This follows the 75-15-10 ratio for dry stouts that I have seen tossed around, sometimes 80-10-10. Anyway, this is probably the best brew I've made yet so I thought I would share the recipe so anyone looking for a very inexpensive and satisfying brew could grab it. I for one didn't know about the "classic" dry stout ratio before brewing this style do I feel it's safe to assume some of you didn't either. In any event, on with the goods....6lb Marris Otter (or american 2-row)2.2lb Flaked Barley14oz Roasted Barley1.5oz EKG @ 601 Tab Irish MossMash low @ 148df for at least an hour, last one I made I went an hour and a half.I use 1084 and get great results but for extra dryness use 1056 or equivalents.OG should be between 1.040 and 1.045, FG between 1.009 and 1.011.The flaked barley gives it a great mouthfeel, almost creamy but the dry finish leaves a crisp delicious desire for more. It's hard to keep this stuff around for very long and I highly recommend anyone hasn't tried this beer or made it to do so immediately!!Cheers!-----------------.earthtone

#2 ncbeerbrewer

ncbeerbrewer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2210 posts
  • LocationRaleigh NC

Posted 01 April 2009 - 05:32 PM

This is a good recipe. I brewed this up last month. Now just waiting to get it on tap. Its worth a brew as well.

#3 earthtone

earthtone

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 523 posts
  • LocationHalifax

Posted 04 April 2009 - 07:17 AM

awwwww thanks kiethd!!! I feel speshl.Time to get this one into rotation again.....the impending move is messing with my schedule. This is still my all time fav of all the homebrew I have made!

#4 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

Open Letter (and similar documents) Comptroller

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 06 April 2009 - 03:31 PM

awwwww thanks kiethd!!! I feel speshl.Time to get this one into rotation again.....the impending move is messing with my schedule. This is still my all time fav of all the homebrew I have made!

What kind of efficiency are you getting? I tend to get mid 60s to low 70s I think. Just asking so that I can adjust the grain amounts...

#5 earthtone

earthtone

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 523 posts
  • LocationHalifax

Posted 06 April 2009 - 06:11 PM

I get 83% eff. so my dry stouts are generally 4.5-5% ABV. If you want, you can just make it as is and get a lower ABV which hits the style a little closer anyways.Here's a rewrite of my tried and true way of doing things - not the 75-15-10 ratio.66% Marris Otter24% Flaked Barley10% Roasted Barley7.5 AAUs EKG @ 60Make it like this to hit your target OG on your system. I recommend the extra percentage in the flaked barley very highly, it gives this creamy mount-filling thickness but doesn't take away from the crisp dry finish and it makes this IMHO. I have made this a bunch of times now and it is sooooo good with the high flaked barley and I've never used rice hulls or had a stuck sparge!Cheers zymological, I hope this helps lemme know if you need any more info!

#6 djinkc

djinkc

Comptroller of Non-Defending Defenders of Inarticulate Twats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts
  • Locationout the backdoor

Posted 06 April 2009 - 06:56 PM

This one is in hand11.5 gal17# Canadian 2-row2# Flaked Barley.75 # Roasted Barley.25# C-40.25# C-120.25# Carafa 3.25# Black Patent40 min mash @ 149df2.5 oz Centennial2.5 oz ChinookFWH1272 Slurry, OG 1.052a bit of a busy grainbill but I wanted all of it in there for each contribution.nice dry, hoppy delight

#7 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 14 April 2009 - 04:46 AM

Ingredients for this arriving today - brewing this weekend hopefully :cheers:I slightly adjusted the amounts...6 lb MO2 lb flaked barley1 lb black roasted barley

#8 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 17 April 2009 - 03:10 AM

I get 83% eff. so my dry stouts are generally 4.5-5% ABV. If you want, you can just make it as is and get a lower ABV which hits the style a little closer anyways.Here's a rewrite of my tried and true way of doing things - not the 75-15-10 ratio.66% Marris Otter24% Flaked Barley10% Roasted Barley7.5 AAUs EKG @ 60Make it like this to hit your target OG on your system. I recommend the extra percentage in the flaked barley very highly, it gives this creamy mount-filling thickness but doesn't take away from the crisp dry finish and it makes this IMHO. I have made this a bunch of times now and it is sooooo good with the high flaked barley and I've never used rice hulls or had a stuck sparge!Cheers zymological, I hope this helps lemme know if you need any more info!

7.5 AAU for 60 min is coming out a little low on the IBU scale according to the BJCP guideline of 30-45. With 10 AAU of EKG my IBU calculation is around 26 IBU (still low for the style). Is the BJCP way off here? I never would have expected a stout to have 30 IBUs of bitterness based on the taste.

#9 earthtone

earthtone

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 523 posts
  • LocationHalifax

Posted 17 April 2009 - 06:55 AM

I dunno, I just got the comp results for this with 7.5 AAUs and all three judges said hops were bang on.I was using Jamil's article in BYO to help me put this together so I didn't actually check the BJCP guidelines until recently and still didn't catch that one. I like it a lot as is, but definitely do as you see fit with the hops, upping the IBUs would be just fine on this I think.

#10 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 17 April 2009 - 07:06 AM

I dunno, I just got the comp results for this with 7.5 AAUs and all three judges said hops were bang on.I was using Jamil's article in BYO to help me put this together so I didn't actually check the BJCP guidelines until recently and still didn't catch that one. I like it a lot as is, but definitely do as you see fit with the hops, upping the IBUs would be just fine on this I think.

If it aint broke I don't plan on fixing it :)

#11 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 18 April 2009 - 06:19 AM

If it aint broke I don't plan on fixing it :)

Strike water is heating right now! weeeeeeeee :cheers:

#12 earthtone

earthtone

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 523 posts
  • LocationHalifax

Posted 18 April 2009 - 07:22 AM

awesome! I'm jealous!!!

#13 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 18 April 2009 - 08:50 AM

awesome! I'm jealous!!!

So after leaving my cooler to temperature equalize for a long time I started the mash at 11:00. I'll go for the 1.5 hours - why the hell not...

#14 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 18 April 2009 - 10:18 AM

Does flaked barley absorb more liquid than regular grains? It seemed like I was a little light on my first runnings - I added a bit more liquid to my sparge so I should have enough to end up with 5 gallons still...

#15 earthtone

earthtone

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 523 posts
  • LocationHalifax

Posted 18 April 2009 - 12:05 PM

I think I get a little more absorbance from the flaked barley yeah, hasn't been problematic for me - I've always hit my volumes with this one. I usually keep an eye out and make any adjustments like you said, but the flaked itself comes out of the MLT big and squishy compared to the other grains so it wouldn't surprise me at all.

#16 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 18 April 2009 - 01:12 PM

I think I get a little more absorbance from the flaked barley yeah, hasn't been problematic for me - I've always hit my volumes with this one. I usually keep an eye out and make any adjustments like you said, but the flaked itself comes out of the MLT big and squishy compared to the other grains so it wouldn't surprise me at all.

So due to doing chores whilst brewing I just had a 7 hour brew day including cleanup - holy crap :)

#17 Rick

Rick

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 274 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA

Posted 18 April 2009 - 02:04 PM

I have had absorption issues when making my dry stout (70-20-10). I also like to grind my pound of RB in a coffee grinder to a nice powder. So between the flaked barley and powdered RB, my 10 lb grist absorbed 2 gals of water :)

#18 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 19 April 2009 - 03:25 AM

Just got around to reading my hydrometer and checking my final volume today. Looks like I got 79-80% efficiency! This is my best yet which is pretty surprising considering the low mash temp (147-149F). The 1.5 hour mash over my regular 1 hour may have made up for it though. The US-05 (rehydrated) took off pretty quick - I had positive pressure within a few hours and this morning the airlock has started bubbling away...

#19 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 19 April 2009 - 06:40 AM

Just got around to reading my hydrometer and checking my final volume today. Looks like I got 79-80% efficiency! This is my best yet which is pretty surprising considering the low mash temp (147-149F). The 1.5 hour mash over my regular 1 hour may have made up for it though. The US-05 (rehydrated) took off pretty quick - I had positive pressure within a few hours and this morning the airlock has started bubbling away...

Okay - I probably jumped the gun - more like 77-78% efficiency but still my best yet :)

#20 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 19 June 2009 - 04:21 AM

So this beer is finally on tap for me. My grain bill was just slightly altered b/c I wanted to work in round amounts:6lbs MO2lbs Flaked Barley1lbs Roasted BarleyIt isn't carbed yet but this beer seems ROASTY. My wife described it as like a weaker imperial stout (which kind of makes sense). My stouts in the past must have been on the more malty side. I'll have to report back when this guy is carbed but I think there is potential for an awesome beer here. :D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users