• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 HOPAZ

HOPAZ

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 09 July 2009 - 07:54 PM

I'm in Phoenix and was wondering if anyone else has seen one of these. They look as if they run on a CO2 cartridge. Just curious to see of anyone has hacked it for homebrew purposes. May be refilllable but not sure at all. I've checked the Coors website and no mention of it at all. It may be some sort of regional test shot or something. Sorry no pics. I did see it at Bev Mo though for those who have one.J

#2 RommelMagic

RommelMagic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 454 posts
  • LocationHighland Falls, NY

Posted 09 July 2009 - 10:43 PM

They had those draft balls here in NY years ago. I'm sure they were nationwide. But this was circa 1990EDIT: IIRC. Never brewed back then though

Edited by RommelMagic, 09 July 2009 - 10:44 PM.

#3 HOPAZ

HOPAZ

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 09 July 2009 - 11:32 PM

I barely remember those "party balls" myself. I think these new ones were in the same spirit, but more hi tech. No hand pump and they sat horizontally in a box. They looked a whole bunch like the Tap a Draft system at Northern Brewer. There was a strip of plastic that had to be removed to engage the cartridge. It seems to me there should be a way to utilize at least some of it..........as soon as you got rid of the beer.J

#4 Noontime

Noontime

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
  • LocationDelray Beach FL

Posted 10 July 2009 - 06:34 AM

I too remember the "beer balls" from the late 80' early 90's. They were a hard plastic ball with a push pump and looked like a big beer Christmas tree ornament. If the modern design is similar I'm sure there's a way to use it with a little ingenuity, but I persoanlly don't see a need to use plastic containers in wine or beer making. :1zhelp:

#5 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64057 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 10 July 2009 - 07:54 AM

We had a party ball on a camping trip last year (one of my idiot buddies actually carried 1.5 miles to the campsite :1zhelp:). I'm pretty sure that was more than a gallon and a half though.

#6 Winkydowbrewing

Winkydowbrewing

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 152 posts
  • LocationWorcester, MA

Posted 10 July 2009 - 08:25 AM

yeah beer balls are roughly 5 gal. You can still grab those out this way, actually decent price for what you get and if you want to suck back a bunch of swill, but for $40 i think you get a decent amount of beer without needing to kill a keg. These ones always need the pump, i wish there was a pic of the one you commented on in the OP, tried to google but got not good pics.

#7 HOPAZ

HOPAZ

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 10 July 2009 - 12:20 PM

I'm actually headed off to BevMo after work to take pictures of this thing or possibly just buy one. I'll post them at that time if I can figure out how to do it.J

#8 HOPAZ

HOPAZ

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 10 July 2009 - 07:19 PM

So I've finally figured out the photo thingee.It says on the tap that it is a one use only tap and not to reuse or recycle (bad news). It also says to remove tap and recycle bottle (good news?). It may be able to come apart in 2 pieces. Anyway, will now more when it is empty. Does anyone know anyone who needs 1.5 gallons of Coors Light?Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#9 Noontime

Noontime

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
  • LocationDelray Beach FL

Posted 10 July 2009 - 07:40 PM

Does anyone know anyone who needs 1.5 gallons of Coors Light?

You're probably just going to have to bite the bullet. Maybe throw some hops in the glass to help get it down. :1zhelp: The draft ball looks like a cool design; with some patient investigation you may be able to figure out how to reuse it. Good luck my friend!

#10 bigdaddyale

bigdaddyale

Linkbot

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9528 posts
  • LocationCurrent: New Homoco, Texas. Past : Lugner Island

Posted 10 July 2009 - 07:52 PM

https://www.u30.com/.......&pid=4#pid4

#11 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64057 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 10 July 2009 - 08:48 PM

from the link:

6. THE BEER IS VERY YUMMY.

:scratch:

#12 MolBasser

MolBasser

Comptrolled by Seahawks

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15351 posts
  • LocationChico, CA

Posted 13 July 2009 - 10:53 PM

That is far more advanced than the party ball of the late eighties.BrewBasser

#13 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

Open Letter (and similar documents) Comptroller

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 14 July 2009 - 03:07 AM

Posted Image

punch?Posted Image

#14 RommelMagic

RommelMagic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 454 posts
  • LocationHighland Falls, NY

Posted 14 July 2009 - 05:44 AM

"Coors Light Home Draft Forum"? :scratch:

#15 pods8

pods8

Grand Duke of Near Misses

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28448 posts
  • LocationThornton, CO

Posted 17 July 2009 - 11:46 AM

I too remember the "beer balls" from the late 80' early 90's. They were a hard plastic ball with a push pump and looked like a big beer Christmas tree ornament. If the modern design is similar I'm sure there's a way to use it with a little ingenuity, but I persoanlly don't see a need to use plastic containers in wine or beer making. :rolleyes:

Those were awesome in college to mix up a big batch of vodka/lemonade or whatever other concoction was on the horizon.

#16 stangbat

stangbat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 198 posts
  • LocationKC Metro, KS side

Posted 17 July 2009 - 02:30 PM

I've often wondered what happened to the CL Party Ball or if it was still around. But "Home Draft" is so much more sophisticated. I'd probably have to extend my pinkie finger while imbibing a libation served from it.

#17 cj in j

cj in j

Advanced Ninja

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 244 posts
  • LocationMishima, Japan

Posted 17 July 2009 - 03:06 PM

Looks like a small version of the Party Pig, but with a CO2 cartridge instead of the inflatable pouch that the PP uses. I really doubt that they will be reusable, especially long term. You might be able to find a way to reuse once or twice, but even that might be tough. Party Pig has a one-way version that's nearly impossible to take off the head to clean, sanitize and refill. But, good luck -- it'll be interesting to read what your experience is! If you survive the Coors Lite, that is. :rolleyes:

#18 Darterboy

Darterboy

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1952 posts
  • LocationVestavia Hills, Alabama

Posted 18 July 2009 - 08:36 PM

Press Release

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users