#61 Stout_fan

Stout_fan

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3115 posts
  • LocationKnoxville, TN

Posted 12 July 2012 - 06:15 PM

I packed a set of beers for some comp a while ago, knowing the cellar man. Amidst the bubble wrap was ONE packing peanut.I was told it got a laugh. :-D

#62 Stout_fan

Stout_fan

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3115 posts
  • LocationKnoxville, TN

Posted 12 July 2012 - 06:19 PM

Interesting how everyone feels about Porters because as a noob I feel that why drink a Porter since you can have a stout. I porter feels a bit watered down...like a Pinot in wines.

In a way, I can agree with this.I call Pinot Noirs castrated reds. Gimme a Cab or a Bordeaux any day.** providing they come with the correct level of oak and complete ML.

#63 davelew

davelew

Comptroller of ACMSO That Are Not Beans

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19134 posts
  • LocationReading, Massachusetts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 06:33 AM

In a way, I can agree with this.I call Pinot Noirs castrated reds. Gimme a Cab or a Bordeaux any day.** providing they come with the correct level of oak and complete ML.

Funny, since some Bordeaux wines (especially from the right bank) are mostly merlot, and merlots are generally considered less bold than pinot noirs.

#64 MtnBrewer

MtnBrewer

Skynet Architect

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6695 posts
  • LocationThe Springs

Posted 26 July 2012 - 09:14 AM

Funny, since some Bordeaux wines (especially from the right bank) are mostly merlot, and merlots are generally considered less bold than pinot noirs.

Not really. Merlot is still quite powerful, particularly the ones from Bordeaux. Not as much as Cabernet but much more so than most pinot noirs. I don't agree with the "castrated red" characterization however. I consider pinot noir (particularly Burgundy from a good vineyard) to be the king of all red wines (and therefore all wines).

#65 davelew

davelew

Comptroller of ACMSO That Are Not Beans

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19134 posts
  • LocationReading, Massachusetts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 09:27 AM

Not really. Merlot is still quite powerful, particularly the ones from Bordeaux. Not as much as Cabernet but much more so than most pinot noirs. I don't agree with the "castrated red" characterization however. I consider pinot noir (particularly Burgundy from a good vineyard) to be the king of all red wines (and therefore all wines).

I agree with you about Bordeaux merlots, I was talking more about the perception of merlot than the reality. I strongly believe that terroir / microclimate / farming technique is more important than the type of grape. Try tasting a Chianti next to a Brunello; they're both 100% Sangiovese grapes, but a Chianti is a mild wine best drunk young, while Brunello is one of the harsher wines that needs to age 10-15 years before it's drinkable.

#66 MtnBrewer

MtnBrewer

Skynet Architect

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6695 posts
  • LocationThe Springs

Posted 26 July 2012 - 09:52 AM

I agree with you about Bordeaux merlots, I was talking more about the perception of merlot than the reality. I strongly believe that terroir / microclimate / farming technique is more important than the type of grape. Try tasting a Chianti next to a Brunello; they're both 100% Sangiovese grapes, but a Chianti is a mild wine best drunk young, while Brunello is one of the harsher wines that needs to age 10-15 years before it's drinkable.

No question. That's why old world wine labels state where the wine came from, not what kind of grape it's made from (except Germany).

#67 armagh

armagh

Grumpy Frost Giant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6705 posts
  • LocationBandit Country

Posted 26 July 2012 - 02:05 PM

I consider pinot noir (particularly Burgundy from a good vineyard) to be the king of all red wines (and therefore all wines).

I've got some Barolos from the of 60s, 70s and 80s that would shoot down any DRC burgundies you can bring to the table.

#68 crankycat

crankycat

Comptroller of Zombies

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2107 posts
  • LocationMinneapolis, MN

Posted 08 August 2012 - 02:23 PM

I thought you guys were going to send me some beers. :(

#69 realbeerguy

realbeerguy

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1974 posts
  • LocationBluffton, SC

Posted 08 August 2012 - 06:06 PM

Kegerator died. Put a glitch in the schedule.

#70 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68748 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 08 August 2012 - 06:54 PM

I knew I was forgetting something

#71 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

Grand Duke of Inappropriate Announcements

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts
  • LocationKnee deep in business plans

Posted 28 August 2012 - 12:48 PM

I admit I completely dropped the bomb on this one. I'm not gonna try for this again unless I have room in my brew schedule or I already have the style on hand.

#72 MtnBrewer

MtnBrewer

Skynet Architect

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6695 posts
  • LocationThe Springs

Posted 28 August 2012 - 12:54 PM

I admit I completely dropped the bomb on this one. I'm not gonna try for this again unless I have room in my brew schedule or I already have the style on hand.

I also entertained thoughts of doing one. Originally I was going to do it for the local club and figured I could enter it in this one too. But while I enjoy a porter now and then, I rarely want several gallons of it around. Then brew season ended and I knew I wouldn't get around to it so I bailed.There are two more club-only comps coming up. One is old ale and the other is barley wine. If you're interested in the BW comp, then start soon.

#73 MtnBrewer

MtnBrewer

Skynet Architect

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6695 posts
  • LocationThe Springs

Posted 28 August 2012 - 01:01 PM

Don't you have some of the group barrel aged BW remaining?

Probably better in 22 or 23 than 19.

#74 MtnBrewer

MtnBrewer

Skynet Architect

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6695 posts
  • LocationThe Springs

Posted 28 August 2012 - 01:34 PM

Ah, I see - they're only doing category specific.

Club-only comps pick one specific style that they announce ahead of time. Then whoever is interested brews a beer in that style (or uses one he's previously brewed), enters it into the comp and it's judged against other beers from his club. The best in the club goes on to the larger competition and is judged against the other club winners.

#75 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68748 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 28 August 2012 - 01:40 PM

Yeah, I knew that, I just use my definition of style and not BJCP. You take a BW or a RIS and add oak and suddenly it's cat 23 22 - bullshit.

I dunno it's aged in wood, right?

#76 MtnBrewer

MtnBrewer

Skynet Architect

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6695 posts
  • LocationThe Springs

Posted 28 August 2012 - 01:42 PM

Yeah, I knew that, I just use my definition of style and not BJCP. You take a BW or a RIS and add oak and suddenly it's cat 23 - bullshit.

Let me know how that works out for you.

#77 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68748 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 28 August 2012 - 01:48 PM

I meant to send in a beer to Cranky, but it was really a Stout and likely woulda bombed

#78 MtnBrewer

MtnBrewer

Skynet Architect

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6695 posts
  • LocationThe Springs

Posted 28 August 2012 - 01:49 PM

It's the reason why I don't enter comps.

Yeah, it is pretty complicated.

#79 Howie

Howie

Feltersnatch

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14606 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC

Posted 28 August 2012 - 01:51 PM

I don't have the time yet. I saw this gem in one of the Porter threads in the Recipe sub-forum:Maybe someone should reach out to Howie.

Doh! I've been a bit AWOL on brewing. . .for a few years.I'm guessing that First Place was as much beginner's luck as anything. It was my first AG batch. Funny, though, that years later Jamil's recipe book came out, and his porter recipe was strikingly similar to mine. . .hmmmmmmmI'm guessing the club only comp is long since over. I can dig out that recipe if someone wants it, though.

#80 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68748 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 28 August 2012 - 01:53 PM

Yeah, whatever. Point is you then have a lot of different styles competing against each other. There's more in common with an oaked/un-oaked BW than there is with an oaked RIS/BW.

Oaking might give an unfair advantage over other beers in those categories

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: competitions, recipes

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users