#1 AspenLeif

AspenLeif

Comptroller of Gingerliness

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28036 posts
  • LocationAspen, CO

Posted 26 November 2012 - 01:06 PM

Dough recipe.4cups flour1tsb salt1stick butterFor the liquid, in a measuring glass crack an egg, 1/4 cup heavy sour cream, and fill the rest of the glass up to 1 cup with milk, so 1 cup liquid total.Cut the butter in, then knead the liquid in. Don't knead long, you don't want the gluten to form, just long enough to incorporate the dry/wet.Roll out to ~1/8" and go.Add filling and fold dough in half and pinch them closed. After you get them all made, boil till they float (3-4 min). Make sure you give them one quick stir after you drop them in so they don't stick to the bottom. Rinse under cold water and lay out on drying racks for a few hours. Then when you freeze them, they don't stick together.I typically make a double dough batch. It takes about 3 hrs from start to drying rack of a 100 made pierogi including making the filling if you are doing it by yourself.I can post some filling recipes if requested, but I typically doPotato and cheesePotato, jalapeno, and cheeseSauteed mushroom and onionSauteed Kraut and onionItalian plum (these are more traditional Polish for desert ones)BlueberryMB

#2 phalanxausage

phalanxausage

Atomic Chef! and Full-Time Francophile

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3164 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 08:12 AM

This isn't a popular thing in NC but I love all manner of dumplings, European, Asian, what have you. I have had pierogies exactly once & loved them. Hand made, not factory frozen in a home cooking restaurant somewhere in central PA. I'm interested in more detail, as I'd like to crank out a batch or two this winter. Fillings, cooking methods, etc.. I'm sure I could figure a lot of it out but I may wander far away from actual pierogies. My daughter would like them and my wife would curse me for making another heavy, delicious foodstuff. Thanks in advance!

#3 AspenLeif

AspenLeif

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28036 posts
  • LocationAspen, CO

Posted 03 December 2012 - 05:57 AM

Sorry for the delay Phalanx. Just saw this post.Another tip when filling the pierogies, After you cut them, fold them so the counter side of the dough is what makes the seal. It will stay tackier than the rolling pin side.I just made 86 mushroom filled last night. So, the potato ones and mushroom filling recipes are fresh in my mind. The tip about filling them is to NOT use warm fillings. They need to be chilled.Potato/Cheese filling: (can add jalapenos too)4-5 medium sized potatoes peeled and make mashed potatoes how you like them. I use sour cream, butter, salt and milk.Make the potatoes a day ahead of time, if they conceal the fridge overnight, they have the right consistency.I use block cheese and shred rather than bagged cheese.Grate about a cup and a half to 2 cups into the bowl and mash in with a fork. (add jalapenos now, don't make them overpowering...like 4 peppers)Use a teaspoon to fill the pierogi and fold in half and pinch together.Mushroom:2 cartons of mushrooms - finely diced2 medium onions - finely diced1 stick of butterSautee the mushrooms and onions until they sweat/dewater. Cook until very little liquid is left.Put the mix in the freezer for ~30min to stiffen up the butter for filling.fill with a teaspoonKraut filling:I use a quart jar of homemade kraut - diced finely2 medium onions - diced finely1 stick of butterSame as mushrooms, sautee until dewatered and cook until liquid is almost gonePut in the freezer to stiffen up. Fill.Blueberry filling:Use fresh blueberries and add some sugar and cook them down until they get thick.Fill.I've also just done frozen blueberries...by just putting frozen berries in the dough pads and not cooking at all. That works too and not as sweet.Another touch if doing the last method, after you boil the pierogi and they are still wet and on the drying rack, sprinkle a little sugar on them and it will stick. Gives them a sweeter/more desert appeal.Italian plums:Very hard to find, sometimes you can find them pitted/canned in the fruit section. Those work better as they have no pits in them.1 plum per pierogi.MB

#4 phalanxausage

phalanxausage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3164 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 07:19 AM

I'll be making a batch of these in the next couple of weeks. Thanks!

#5 AspenLeif

AspenLeif

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28036 posts
  • LocationAspen, CO

Posted 10 December 2012 - 05:49 AM

Made another 74 kraut ones this weekend. Brings the xmas present total up to 260 so far. I still want to do the blueberry ones before I am done.Just as an aside, if you are getting ~70 perogies out of a single batch of dough, you are rolling it out thin enough. Last batch, I got 74 and ran out of filling.Here is a traditional meal of when I was a kid my mom made to use up the left over dough. Home made Kluski noodles and cheese.Roll out the remaining dough and use a pizza cutter to cut 1/4" wide noodles. Or use a pasta roller/cutter if you have one. With the boiling water, use the spoon to get it swirling and drop in about 20 noodles at a time and cook them till they float. Pull them out and put them on a drying rack.You can now use these in soup. A more traditional meal is sauteeing them with onion and farmers cheese. Mince about 1/2 a medium onion and drop the noodles in a pan with the onion and butter. Saute until the onions are clear and the noodles will just start to brown. Kill the heat and drop in some farmers cheese or even cottage cheese if that is all you have. Stir around until it melts. Serve. This will be my lunch today. :)MB

#6 phalanxausage

phalanxausage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3164 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 10:15 PM

Finally made these tonight & they were a huge hit! Filled with mashed red potatoes, lardon & cheddar. Served with some salmon smeared with mustard, then coated in almond meal. Wife & daughter insist that they be made again. Thanks for posting the recipe!

#7 Genesee Ted

Genesee Ted

yabba dabba doob

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 49850 posts
  • LocationRochester, NY

Posted 08 March 2013 - 10:21 PM

Rogis Rock!

#8 Stains_not_here_man

Stains_not_here_man

Phat O'Mic Chef Winner!

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 111401 posts

Posted 09 November 2013 - 02:48 PM

Dough recipe.4cups flour1tsb salt 

question is this a tablespoon of salt or a teaspoon? :)

#9 Felix Furbush

Felix Furbush

Comptroller of King Richard V

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 42953 posts
  • LocationCamarillo, CA

Posted 11 November 2013 - 03:16 PM

Tsp teaspoon

#10 Stains_not_here_man

Stains_not_here_man

Phat O'Mic Chef Winner!

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 111401 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 05:22 PM

Tsp teaspoon

It says tsB so I wasn't sure. ;)  figured though.

#11 AspenLeif

AspenLeif

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28036 posts
  • LocationAspen, CO

Posted 12 November 2013 - 03:13 AM

question is this a tablespoon of salt or a teaspoon? :)

I went back and looked.  It should be 2tsp ...so I was wrong on both!

MB

#12 pods8

pods8

Grand Duke of Near Misses

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28289 posts
  • LocationThornton, CO

Posted 25 November 2013 - 04:14 PM

So MB, are you making half moon shaped ones or a more easy rectangular/square shape?  How big are you cutting your raw dough pieces also?

Your 3-4min of cooking is for a full cook (ie ones you want to serve) or just a partial cook in preparation to freeze?

#13 AspenLeif

AspenLeif

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28036 posts
  • LocationAspen, CO

Posted 26 November 2013 - 07:01 AM

So MB, are you making half moon shaped ones or a more easy rectangular/square shape?  How big are you cutting your raw dough pieces also?

Your 3-4min of cooking is for a full cook (ie ones you want to serve) or just a partial cook in preparation to freeze?

1/2 round.  Cut the rounds with a pint glass rim.

The 3-4 min is pretty close to a full cook (cook until they float), but I will always finish by sauteeing in a pan with butter. 

MB

#14 Stains_not_here_man

Stains_not_here_man

Phat O'Mic Chef Winner!

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 111401 posts

Posted 15 May 2016 - 02:53 PM

When you cook these from frozen do you reboil them, or just thaw then sautee or what?

#15 Stains_not_here_man

Stains_not_here_man

Phat O'Mic Chef Winner!

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 111401 posts

Posted 15 May 2016 - 04:08 PM

Also, do you salt the boiling water

#16 AspenLeif

AspenLeif

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28036 posts
  • LocationAspen, CO

Posted 17 May 2016 - 01:12 AM

When you cook these from frozen do you reboil them, or just thaw then sautee or what?

No, you don't reboil.  Just let thaw and then fry in butter.

Also, do you salt the boiling water

When boiling for the initial cook, I never have...but I am sure it wouldn't hurt to salt the water same amount for making pasta. 

MB

#17 AspenLeif

AspenLeif

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28036 posts
  • LocationAspen, CO

Posted 17 May 2016 - 01:23 AM

I have no idea why the spacing got all screwy on my earlier posts in here.  (Mods?) Please take this and replace post #1, and delete post 5

Dough recipe - Dry ingredients:

4cups flour

2tsp salt

1stick butter

For the liquid:

in a measuring glass crack an egg

1/4 cup heavy sour cream and fill the rest of the glass up to 1 cup with milk, so 1 cup liquid total.

Cut the butter in, then knead the liquid in.

Don't knead long, you don't want the gluten to form, just long enough to incorporate the dry/wet.  Roll out to ~1/8" and go.  Add filling and fold dough in half and pinch them closed. After you get them all made, boil till they float (3-4 min).   Make sure you give them one quick stir after you drop them in so they don't stick to the bottom.  Rinse under cold water and lay out on drying racks for a few hours. Then when you freeze them, they don't stick together.  I typically make a double dough batch.  It takes about 3 hrs from start to drying rack of a 100 made pierogi including making the filling if you are doing it by yourself.I can post some filling recipes if requested, but I typically do Potato & cheese, Potato & jalapeno & cheese, Sauteed mushroom & onion,  Sauteed Kraut & onion, Italian plum (these are more traditional Polish for desert ones), and Blueberry

Made another 74 kraut ones this weekend.  Brings the xmas present total up to 260 so far.  I still want to do the blueberry ones before I am done.  Just as an aside, if you are getting ~70 perogies out of a single batch of dough, you are rolling it out thin enough.  Last batch, I got 74 and ran out of filling. 

Here is a traditional meal of when I was a kid my mom made to use up the left over dough. Home made Kluski noodles and cheese. Roll out the remaining dough and use a pizza cutter to cut 1/4" wide noodles. Or use a pasta roller/cutter if you have one.  With the boiling water, use the spoon to get it swirling and drop in about 20 noodles at a time and cook them till they float. Pull them out and put them on a drying rack.  You can now use these in soup.  A more traditional meal is sauteeing them with onion and farmers cheese.  Mince about 1/2 a medium onion and drop the noodles in a pan with the onion and butter.  Saute until the onions are clear and the noodles will just start to brown.  Kill the heat and drop in some farmers cheese or even cottage cheese if that is all you have. Stir around until it melts. Serve. This will be my lunch today. :)

MB

Edited by Mainelybrew, 17 May 2016 - 01:25 AM.

#18 Stains_not_here_man

Stains_not_here_man

Phat O'Mic Chef Winner!

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 111401 posts

Posted 17 May 2016 - 04:41 AM

Made these the other day... Salted the water lightly. Dough might have been a tad thick as I only got 64 of them :D but they are delicious as hell, I made bacon potato and cheese

#19 AspenLeif

AspenLeif

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28036 posts
  • LocationAspen, CO

Posted 18 May 2016 - 07:18 AM

Yeah, the filling can be quite variable if you go non-traditional.  Those potato, jalapeno and cheese one I made were freakin awesome.  The mushroom & onion & butter ones are fantastic too. 

MB

Edited by Mainelybrew, 18 May 2016 - 07:19 AM.

#20 Stains_not_here_man

Stains_not_here_man

Phat O'Mic Chef Winner!

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 111401 posts

Posted 18 May 2016 - 06:05 PM

Making more now... Lol. These are fucking good you guys

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users