Stout_fan

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3115 posts
  • LocationKnoxville, TN

Posted 01 July 2013 - 04:58 PM

I'll upload some photos.

Umm, would y'all like to see them in stereo or just flatties (much quicker for me)?

If anybody else has some, please share.

#122 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16520 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 08:13 PM

2014 conference in Grand Rapids.

I'm so sorry. Perhaps this is their way of dealing with the increasing attendance.

#123 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16520 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 09:19 PM

Huh?

I'm going to guess you haven't spent any significant time there. I lived there for a while but managed to escape during GW's first term. However, I didn't grow up there so I already knew about the outside world. It is as socially conservative as any place I know of and not the location I would have placed a beer brewing and drinking conference. I'll leave it at that.

The upside is this... the surrounding area between GR and the lake does have some of the best local fruit you will find anywhere. The zones under the influence of Lake Michigan provide a fantastic microclimate for berry fruits, cherries, and peaches, as well as apples in the fall. So if you go, depending on the date of the conference, be sure to take advantage of this. Just make sure that when you are looking for the U-pick farm you do not to wander onto a militia training ground.

#124 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16520 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 07:03 AM

Sure, it's not a top 10 beer city destination...

Be honest, it's not a top 30 beer city destination, and I'm being generous. Amazingly, for town and surrounding area its size it's not a vacation destination at all. It's relevant U.S. history starts and ends with it being the birthplace of Gerald Ford and Amway. A mostly irrelevant president and a pyramid scheme.

If you can only give me that it is too socially conservative, well...

Well what? I'm not sure why this needs further detail. This mentality pervades everything about the town and surrounding area. Specifically it limits the amount of night life and other activities visitors will have available to them. Could everyone have a good time at a conference there? Sure I suppose so. You can stick together. But having a good time would be far more likely in dozens of other destinations.

If not for your friends and family nearby, how much time would you really spend in Grand Rapids, Michigan? Anyone else here go out of their way to get to GR just for the good times?

#125 Hines

Hines

Comptroller of Emus

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9736 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 08:24 AM

From what I gather, Grand Rapids has made a conscious effort over the past 2 years to get the community behind craft brewing and all things associated with it.If you moved during GWs first term and haven't been back, maybe you should go back and visit and see if they have refused to change in the past 8-12 years.

#126 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16520 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 09:10 AM

maybe you should go back and visit and see if they have refused to change in the past 8-12 years.

I have close friends there. I have been back several times.

I understand the typical web forum backlash to a guy who suddenly expresses a strong opinion about something. It's common, it can be annoying, I get it. But it does not render my point invalid. I'll reiterate once more...

How many of you had G.R. on your list of places to go before the conference was scheduled there? Few to none I'd bet. There is a reason for that. There are a lot of places that would be better suited for this kind of event. This is a curious choice of location.

#127 Hines

Hines

Comptroller of Emus

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9736 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 09:19 AM

Sorry if I came across in the wrong tone.  I was actually curious to know if you saw a change during that time frame.

I know the city made a push for people to vote in the "Beer City USA" poll, and their push helped them win.   Last winter it was posted that there were many brewpubs scheduled to open within the 2013 calendar year.

I'm certain i won't go to next year's convention....but that's the same reason I wouldn't go to another in Seattle---or any major city that is far away:  logistics.

#128 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16520 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 09:36 AM

Sorry if I came across in the wrong tone.

Likewise. No worries. 

Last winter it was posted that there were many brewpubs scheduled to open within the 2013 calendar year.

This will help immensely. Hopefully they will have the kinks worked out by conference time. It will be tough crowd to impress.

#129 Genesee Ted

Genesee Ted

yabba dabba doob

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 49850 posts
  • LocationRochester, NY

Posted 03 July 2013 - 03:12 AM

I think that another concern is that they need to find a place where they can host 4,000 people that has a local committee (AHA) who is willing to put in the leg work.  They made it sound like that wasn't an easy thing to do.  

#130 realbeerguy

realbeerguy

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1974 posts
  • LocationBluffton, SC

Posted 03 July 2013 - 07:44 AM

Fred Bonjour = AHA Conference. If you look at the last 6 or so,an AHA board member is located close.

#131 Genesee Ted

Genesee Ted

yabba dabba doob

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 49850 posts
  • LocationRochester, NY

Posted 03 July 2013 - 09:13 AM

I talked to a guy from MI who said that Fred has heavily involved in the planning.

#132 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9090 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 03 July 2013 - 12:02 PM

I think that another concern is that they need to find a place where they can host 4,000 people that has a local committee (AHA) who is willing to put in the leg work.  They made it sound like that wasn't an easy thing to do.

That is the TRUTH!Besides, you're not going to Grand Rapids...you're going to the conference. I almost never leave the hotel once I get there so it could be about anywhere.

#133 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9090 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 03 July 2013 - 12:02 PM

Fred Bonjour = AHA Conference. If you look at the last 6 or so,an AHA board member is located close.

Which has nothing to do with deciding where the conference will be.

#134 Stout_fan

Stout_fan

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3115 posts
  • LocationKnoxville, TN

Posted 07 July 2013 - 04:06 AM

.... I almost never leave the hotel once I get there so it could be about anywhere.

Unless you are in the overflow hotel  --OR -- The Reading Terminal Markets are half a block away and you can grab lunch there.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users