56 replies to this topic

#21 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 10:43 AM

well on something like a brown ale it certainly doesn't seem like a bad idea. if I were to do it on a porter or stout I'd probably want to compensate with more overall chocolate (regular + pale combined) if I was using a good amount of pale.

Yes, I can get behind that logic

#22 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 27 March 2013 - 03:05 AM

so looking back at the percentages posted by steve everything seems really low. not much chocolate or crystal. what gives?

Edited by StudsTerkel, 27 March 2013 - 03:08 AM.

#23 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 27 March 2013 - 03:19 AM

working on the grain bill: 8.75 lbs golden promise (b/c I have some I need to use up) 0.25 lbs pale chocolate (2.4%) 0.25 lbs chocolate (2.4%) 1 lbs rauch malt (9.5%) 0.25 lbs C60 (2.4%) mash at 154F SRM: 19 OG: .1.055 anyone have any thoughts? seems a little light in color to me but I don't want to overdo it on the chocolate.

Edited by StudsTerkel, 27 March 2013 - 03:21 AM.

#24 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 05:22 AM

I would bump both chocolates up by .25#'s so you have a full pound of chocolate in there.

#25 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 27 March 2013 - 05:26 AM

I would bump both chocolates up by .25#'s so you have a full pound of chocolate in there.

does tumbler have a pretty low chocolate presence? I'm having a tough time remembering now...

#26 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 28 March 2013 - 10:09 AM

so as for the hops: I'll probably be using the perle that drez sent me today for bittering (shooting for an IBU like tumbler) and then wilamette for flavor/aroma. I was thinking of just an oz of willy at 5 minutes. I don't want to compete with the chocolate/malt/smoke too much. what do you guys think?

#27 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 28 March 2013 - 04:28 PM

reworked - not quite as tumbleresque. 8.0 lbs golden promise (b/c I have some I need to use up) 0.5 lbs pale chocolate (4.65%) 0.5 lbs chocolate (4.65%) 1.0 lbs rauch malt (9.30%) 0.75 lbs C60 (6.98%) mash at 154F hops: 2 oz perle @ 60 min 1 oz willy @ 5 min ferment on US-05 IBU: 40.75 SRM: 19 OG: .1.055

#28 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 05:26 AM

Just keep in mind the percentages. Mine has 13% smoke malt and yours has just under 10%. You think that is enough of a decrease in the smoked malt for what you are looking for?

#29 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 29 March 2013 - 06:22 AM

Just keep in mind the percentages. Mine has 13% smoke malt and yours has just under 10%. You think that is enough of a decrease in the smoked malt for what you are looking for?

I suspect it will be alright. i don't view this as a straight percentage thing in that I think the smoke pretty easily outcompetes other stuff. i think amount for batch size is the bigger factor. i'm one of the few that seems to think this way. even if it ended up as smokey as yours I'd like it.

#30 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 06:29 AM

Cool, just point out the %'s. I like the think in %'s! Now go and brew it

#31 Brauer

Brauer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1857 posts
  • Location1 mile north of Boston

Posted 29 March 2013 - 10:23 AM

i think amount for batch size is the bigger factor. i'm one of the few that seems to think this way. even if it ended up as smokey as yours I'd like it.

I think I've come to think this way for some things, too. Since so much difference in efficiency between brewers comes from differences in conversion, you wouldn't think things like crystal malt, color, and smoke would be as affected as base malt.

Just a couple questions about Tumbler and the recipe:
- Do you actually taste smoke in Tumbler? I keep trying, but I can never taste it.
- Do you think that your recipe might have become a Porter instead of a Brown Ale?

#32 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 10:34 AM

- Do you actually taste smoke in Tumbler? I keep trying, but I can never taste it.

I have one time or another. I think it was a very fresh bottling of Tumbler because it was early in the "season." I think because they use so little smoked malt and it is smoked in house it looses its flavor and aroma quickly. Of course that is just my opinion.

Edited by drez77, 29 March 2013 - 10:34 AM.

#33 Brauer

Brauer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1857 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 10:42 AM

I have one time or another. I think it was a very fresh bottling of Tumbler because it was early in the "season." I think because they use so little smoked malt and it is smoked in house it looses its flavor and aroma quickly. Of course that is just my opinion.

Right, maybe it just doesn't make it this far East.

#34 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 10:44 AM

Right, maybe it just doesn't make it this far East.

Not sure that extra 80 miles makes a huge difference :)

#35 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 29 March 2013 - 06:22 PM

I think I've come to think this way for some things, too. Since so much difference in efficiency between brewers comes from differences in conversion, you wouldn't think things like crystal malt, color, and smoke would be as affected as base malt.

- Do you think that your recipe might have become a Porter instead of a Brown Ale?

i can taste it on the back. i think my smoked malt isn't super smokey but we'll see. i was thinking about the porter versus brown ale just today. it might end up slightly hybrid. delicious beer all the same hopefully :P

#36 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 29 March 2013 - 06:52 PM

looking some more i'm not too far out of spec for southern brown ale. the beer i tasted from drez had a similar chocolate malt amount and it didn't taste too roasty to me. the crystal was actually a stronger factor in the taste I think.

#37 Brauer

Brauer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1857 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 06:56 PM

Not sure that extra 80 miles makes a huge difference :)

Yeah, I was including you in the list of people that don't get much smoke from it, assuming that it has enough smoke back in CA for them to bother listing it on the label. If I was entering it in a competition, I wouldn't mention the smoked malt because I think it would result in it getting marked down when the judges couldn't taste it.

Maybe I just can't distinguish that little smoke against the background of the roasted malts. I couldn't taste the smoke in the early versions of Jack's Abby Smoke and Dagger, either, though I have no problem tasting it now, since they increased the amount of smoked malt.

i can taste it on the back. i think my smoked malt isn't super smokey but we'll see. i was thinking about the porter versus brown ale just today. it might end up slightly hybrid. delicious beer all the same hopefully :P

There's certainly nothing wrong with a smoked Porter!

#38 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 07:26 PM

If I was entering it in a competition, I wouldn't mention the smoked malt

There's certainly nothing wrong with a smoked Porter!

I agree with that.I don't think there is enough smoke to bother entering it as a smoked beer.

I think my beer is verging on a porter, not really sure but either way it is just how I like it. Porter or brown are both ok by me.

#39 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 30 March 2013 - 02:03 AM

I agree with that.I don't think there is enough smoke to bother entering it as a smoked beer.

I think my beer is verging on a porter, not really sure but either way it is just how I like it. Porter or brown are both ok by me.

i think of porters of having more chocolate presence. although maybe you have too much to be a brown ale. i don't drink as many brown ales so I wouldn't really know.

#40 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16628 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 07:07 PM

Studs, How did this one come out?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users