#21 MtnBrewer

MtnBrewer

Skynet Architect

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6695 posts
  • LocationThe Springs

Posted 01 April 2013 - 08:50 AM

for a long time I filtered my water through a brita pitcher. holy snot did this suck. once I discovered campden tablets I was a happy, happy man.

And a Brita pitcher is just a carbon filter right? So that's not going to remove chloramine either.

#22 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 01 April 2013 - 09:05 AM

And a Brita pitcher is just a carbon filter right? So that's not going to remove chloramine either.

i must not have much then b/c that was never an issue.

#23 ColdAssHonky

ColdAssHonky

Comptroller of Fashion

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 579 posts
  • LocationPortland, OR

Posted 01 April 2013 - 09:47 AM

I thought I heard somewhere that when using campden tabs you have to let the water sit out for a long while for the chloramine to dissipate. Any opinions on this?

#24 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 01 April 2013 - 09:56 AM

I thought I heard somewhere that when using campden tabs you have to let the water sit out for a long while for the chloramine to dissipate. Any opinions on this?

i think it's pretty fast acting. zymot did a test I think.

#25 ColdAssHonky

ColdAssHonky

Comptroller of Fashion

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 579 posts
  • LocationPortland, OR

Posted 01 April 2013 - 10:02 AM

i think it's pretty fast acting. zymot did a test I think.

I hope that's true. I've been measuring out my water the night before so I can let it sit. I'll probably still do this since it shaves time from the brew day, but nice to know if I get lazy I can just toss in the campden and go.

#26 MtnBrewer

MtnBrewer

Skynet Architect

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6695 posts
  • LocationThe Springs

Posted 01 April 2013 - 10:08 AM

i must not have much then b/c that was never an issue.

I should say that charcoal doesn't remove all chloramine. Only about half is what I've read.

The FAQ says 5 minutes.

#27 ColdAssHonky

ColdAssHonky

Comptroller of Fashion

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 579 posts
  • LocationPortland, OR

Posted 01 April 2013 - 10:13 AM

The FAQ says 5 minutes.

Ah ha. I was mixing up the procedure for chlorine all along.

#28 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68757 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 01 April 2013 - 10:42 AM

if one overdoses the K-meta, like it sounds many are, how could this affect the water profile?

#29 Brauer

Brauer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1857 posts
  • Location1 mile north of Boston

Posted 01 April 2013 - 10:46 AM

so let's say 450 mg which would be good for 150 L or about 40 gallons. so yeah - I've been overdosing my 10 gallon batches :lol:

I read somewhere that a lot, of the weight was binder. The common stance is that 1 tab is good for treating 20 gallons of water.

#30 Brauer

Brauer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1857 posts
  • Location1 mile north of Boston

Posted 01 April 2013 - 10:52 AM

There's nothing much left to really let dissipate, after metabisulfite. You basically add a very few ppm of salt and a few ppm of sulfate. If you have little or no chlorine or chloramine, you might have a few ppm of sulfite left over. I don't know if that will survive the mash, boil and fermentation, though.

#31 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 01 April 2013 - 11:01 AM

I read somewhere that a lot, of the weight was binder. The common stance is that 1 tab is good for treating 20 gallons of water.

ah - sounds like my practices are about right then. 1 tab for about 14-15 gallons of water needed for a 10 gallon batch and 1/2 tab for about 7 gallons of water for a 5 gallon batch.

#32 djinkc

djinkc

Comptroller of Non-Defending Defenders of Inarticulate Twats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts
  • Locationout the backdoor

Posted 01 April 2013 - 07:05 PM

ah - sounds like my practices are about right then. 1 tab for about 14-15 gallons of water needed for a 10 gallon batch and 1/2 tab for about 7 gallons of water for a 5 gallon batch.

That's what I've been doing forever. Half tab to start, and use the smaller half to top off the EHLT.

#33 Clintama

Clintama

No Life

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30244 posts
  • LocationRight Here

Posted 01 April 2013 - 07:14 PM

I treat 15 gallons with a whole Campden tablet. Works great.

#34 SteveMillerTime

SteveMillerTime

Comptroller of Squirrel Nuts

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 486 posts
  • LocationNJ

Posted 02 April 2013 - 08:32 AM

On this topic, I had picked up one of those home depot "free" water tests and sent it in...I got a phone call today and the lady says you're water tested positive for hardness, chlorine, and (something else i can't remember). Then she started talking really fast, before I could get a word in, about how they'll send someone out to do further testing. I was like wait what? So your telling me it's chlorine not chloramine? She's like yup, thats what it says. So I told her that I'm a brewer and started talking about how chlorine can be boiled out but chloramine can't and she says "oh, I didn't know that" at which point a red flag shot up. She said someone will call and schedule an appointment to come out.At this point I hung up the phone and started thinking that she really sounded like a sales person...so I googled home depot water testing. Sure enough, it's a sales person that comes to your house to do all of these "tests" and then tries to sell you a $6,400 purification system, which has gotten tons of bad reviews...hah. I guess I'll just pay for a legit water test so I can actually get some useful information. I'll make sure to say something about that when the person tries to schedule an appointment. I'll probably say, hey, all I wanted was a paper with useful information, not someone trying to sell me crap.

#35 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 02 April 2013 - 08:53 AM

Nope. It's a pretty much instant chemical reaction.

#36 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 02 April 2013 - 09:30 AM

On this topic, I had picked up one of those home depot "free" water tests and sent it in...I got a phone call today and the lady says you're water tested positive for hardness, chlorine, and (something else i can't remember). Then she started talking really fast, before I could get a word in, about how they'll send someone out to do further testing. I was like wait what? So your telling me it's chlorine not chloramine? She's like yup, thats what it says. So I told her that I'm a brewer and started talking about how chlorine can be boiled out but chloramine can't and she says "oh, I didn't know that" at which point a red flag shot up. She said someone will call and schedule an appointment to come out.At this point I hung up the phone and started thinking that she really sounded like a sales person...so I googled home depot water testing. Sure enough, it's a sales person that comes to your house to do all of these "tests" and then tries to sell you a $6,400 purification system, which has gotten tons of bad reviews...hah. I guess I'll just pay for a legit water test so I can actually get some useful information. I'll make sure to say something about that when the person tries to schedule an appointment. I'll probably say, hey, all I wanted was a paper with useful information, not someone trying to sell me crap.

send it to ward labs. someone here will tell you which test to run that will have everything you need without any BS or hassle.

#37 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 02 April 2013 - 10:01 AM

www.wardlab.comTest W-6 for $16.50

#38 SteveMillerTime

SteveMillerTime

Comptroller of Squirrel Nuts

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 486 posts
  • LocationNJ

Posted 02 April 2013 - 12:40 PM

www.wardlab.comTest W-6 for $16.50

I was just talking to dan about that this morning. Will definitely be buying that kit from them...I don't get why the brewer's kit costs $20 more...

#39 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 02 April 2013 - 12:45 PM

I was just talking to dan about that this morning. Will definitely be buying that kit from them...I don't get why the brewer's kit costs $20 more...

i'm sure they offer something extra but I'm guessing not $20 more. i'd stick with the old stand by. it has everything you need as far as I know.

#40 MtnBrewer

MtnBrewer

Skynet Architect

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6695 posts
  • LocationThe Springs

Posted 02 April 2013 - 12:46 PM

I think they send you a sample jar or something like that.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: chemistry, competitions, drinking, finings, PSA, water

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users