#1 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

Grand Duke of Inappropriate Announcements

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts
  • LocationKnee deep in business plans

Posted 15 April 2013 - 01:54 PM

I've been doing a little reading on using hibiscus in beer. Seems like a night fruity and tangy addition to beer.I am building a pergola in the front yard (pics to come) for my hops and I need to fill out the garden in front of the office window. I'm thinking about planting hibiscus there since it gets nice and big and has pretty flowers year round. Also I could use the flowers in some beers.Anyone have experience using hibiscus and can offer some experience or advice?Cheers!

#2 armagh

armagh

Grumpy Frost Giant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6705 posts
  • LocationBandit Country

Posted 15 April 2013 - 02:38 PM

No experience but the missus has a bunch in the yard. If you find out anything, please post.

#3 Deerslyr

Deerslyr

Disliker of Nut Kicking

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23807 posts
  • LocationGod's Country!

Posted 15 April 2013 - 02:58 PM

I thought Hibiscus were poisonous??? We brought a plant back from Guam, and when we got a dog I remember we had to be careful.EDIT: But I could be, and most likely am, completely wrong.

Edited by Deerslyr, 15 April 2013 - 02:59 PM.

#4 Genesee Ted

Genesee Ted

yabba dabba doob

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 49860 posts
  • LocationRochester, NY

Posted 16 April 2013 - 03:24 AM

It is used in teas and other drinks so I don't think it is poisonous. Maybe just to dogs or just a certain part?

#5 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts
  • LocationCoconut Creek, FL

Posted 16 April 2013 - 06:05 AM

I'd imagine you'd have to use a ton of them to get any flavor. They have a pretty mild fragrance imho.

#6 chadm75

chadm75

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1029 posts
  • LocationSt. Louis, MO

Posted 16 April 2013 - 07:41 AM

Rich - there is a brewery West of St. Louis about an hour, 2nd Shift, that is brewing up Belgian Wit...they call it Hibiscus Wit. It's outstanding. It's got a pinkish hue to it and is really fruity and tangy. Part of that I'm sure comes from the Belgian yeast but you definetely get the fruit flavor and floral aroma from the Hibiscus as well. Anytime you brew with a flower, wouldn't you toss it in as close to flameout as possible? I'm not quite sure what they do but they're solid dudes out there so maybe drop a note and they'll enlighten you!Cheers!

#7 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 07:48 AM

Rich - there is a brewery West of St. Louis about an hour, 2nd Shift, that is brewing up Belgian Wit...they call it Hibiscus Wit. It's outstanding. It's got a pinkish hue to it and is really fruity and tangy. Part of that I'm sure comes from the Belgian yeast but you definetely get the fruit flavor and floral aroma from the Hibiscus as well. Anytime you brew with a flower, wouldn't you toss it in as close to flameout as possible? I'm not quite sure what they do but they're solid dudes out there so maybe drop a note and they'll enlighten you!Cheers!

I'll definitely look into that.Thanks!

#8 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54024 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 07:29 AM

We have 2 hibiscus plants... one is a tree (red flowers) and the other is more shrub-like and has yellow, double-flowering cultivar flowers. We have to bring them inside in the winter but they're outdoors the rest of the year. As you guys know, they need a lot of water and when they're blooming, the flowers go off in rapid succession then die and fall off quickly. I have to say I get little-to-no fragrance from these flowers. Maybe I'm just not picking it up. I would assume they would have to be added at flameout because how else could you sanitize them? Put them in a steamer and then pour the water from the steamer into the beer? Hmm. :scratch:Definitely keep us posted.

#9 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 07:53 AM

We have 2 hibiscus plants... one is a tree (red flowers) and the other is more shrub-like and has yellow, double-flowering cultivar flowers. We have to bring them inside in the winter but they're outdoors the rest of the year. As you guys know, they need a lot of water and when they're blooming, the flowers go off in rapid succession then die and fall off quickly. I have to say I get little-to-no fragrance from these flowers. Maybe I'm just not picking it up. I would assume they would have to be added at flameout because how else could you sanitize them? Put them in a steamer and then pour the water from the steamer into the beer? Hmm. :scratch:Definitely keep us posted.

From what I gather you should dry the nib and then add it at flameout. Petals need not go in.

#10 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54024 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 08:27 AM

From what I gather you should dry the nib and then add it at flameout. Petals need not go in.

What exactly is the nib? The very end of the flower that sticks out of the petals? It looks like it has little suction cups on it or something.

#11 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 09:23 AM

What exactly is the nib? The very end of the flower that sticks out of the petals? It looks like it has little suction cups on it or something.

Posted ImageSo far as I can tell, and I am definitely not an expert, it's the bit that supports the petals. I don't even know if "nib" is the correct term. The green bit under the flower on the closed one on the left.

Edited by SchwanzBrewer, 17 April 2013 - 09:24 AM.

#12 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 09:27 AM

Real question I have is, do you harvest it prior to flowering or while it's flowering?

#13 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54024 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 10:00 AM

Oh, ok. Those things disconnect from the shrub/tree when the flower comes off and getting a little handful of nibs wouldn't/shouldn't be tough. I can't imagine that there is much in the way of aroma or flavor on that little stick of green but the next time I have a flower that drops, I'm going to check that thing to see what it smells like.

#14 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16641 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 10:11 AM

Caught my curiosity with this so I took a whiff from the bulk hibiscus jar at the health food store today. I don't know what variety of hibiscus or what part of the plant it came from (it was dried) but it sure smelled good. If it tastes like it smells I could definitely see this going in a beer in light quantity. A wit, as suggested above, seems a good place to start.

#15 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54024 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 10:30 AM

Caught my curiosity with this so I took a whiff from the bulk hibiscus jar at the health food store today. I don't know what variety of hibiscus or what part of the plant it came from (it was dried) but it sure smelled good. If it tastes like it smells I could definitely see this going in a beer in light quantity. A wit, as suggested above, seems a good place to start.

This type of thing makes me nervous because what if it smells delightful but tastes nasty? I assume that there is plenty of stuff online about how to use it/prepare it but I would want to be careful... especially with flowers which we don't typically eat... speaking for myself, of course. :P

Edited by KenLenard, 17 April 2013 - 10:31 AM.

#16 zymot

zymot

Comptroller of Small Amounts of Money

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25597 posts
  • LocationMortville

Posted 17 April 2013 - 04:02 PM

You can buy hibiscus flowers at a Mexican grocery store. There call it Jamaica. It is hibiscus. If you want the challenge of grow your own go ahead. By far the easiest way to go is to buy the flowers at a store.I have seen Jamaica sold as a concentrate. Mix with water and you get instant Hibiscus tea.In the Caribbean it is known as Sorrel drink. You can search around for that too.

#17 JMcG

JMcG

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 335 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 08:00 PM

Posted ImageSo far as I can tell, and I am definitely not an expert, it's the bit that supports the petals. I don't even know if "nib" is the correct term. The green bit under the flower on the closed one on the left.

Yes, like the "rose hip", its like the fruit of the plant, the base of the flower after the petals drop off. Lots of Vita C. Common in teas (I think "Red Zinger").Tart and fruity flavor.Its the flower on Hawaiian shirts.

#18 armagh

armagh

Grumpy Frost Giant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6705 posts
  • LocationBandit Country

Posted 18 April 2013 - 04:56 AM

Yes, like the "rose hip", its like the fruit of the plant, the base of the flower after the petals drop off. Lots of Vita C. Common in teas (I think "Red Zinger").Tart and fruity flavor.Its the flower on Hawaiian shirts.

Ah. I have used rose hips in mead. Extremely tart from the ascorbic acid and the aroma of roses really did not come through the way I'd hoped.

#19 crankycat

crankycat

Comptroller of Zombies

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2107 posts
  • LocationMinneapolis, MN

Posted 19 April 2013 - 07:57 AM

I have used dried hibiscus. It gives a nice, delicate fruity tartness. I use in a hefe.

#20 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 22 April 2013 - 05:27 AM

I have used dried hibiscus. It gives a nice, delicate fruity tartness. I use in a hefe.

did you buy them? dry them yourself? I think the prep of the flowers is important here.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users