9 replies to this topic

#1 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

Open Letter (and similar documents) Comptroller

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 03 April 2009 - 03:52 AM

I can't believe I never thought of this while I had an empty keg. If I knew how much an empty keg weighed I could weigh a keg with beer in it and then try to estimate how much beer was actually there.So I pretty much need two things:1. the approximate weight of an empty soda keg2. the approximate density of beer so I can convert from pounds to pints.

#2 Dean Palmer

Dean Palmer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts
  • LocationSt. Petersburg FL

Posted 03 April 2009 - 04:10 AM

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Keg1/2 barrel Sankey keg 29.7lbs5 gallon corny keg ~11lbs per my scale when empty, 50lbs full, but the website says 55-60 which I know to be overflow territory.

#3 Dean Palmer

Dean Palmer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts
  • LocationSt. Petersburg FL

Posted 03 April 2009 - 04:16 AM

One Ounce of Draught Beer by Volume = One Ounce by Weight

#4 ChefLamont

ChefLamont

Comptroller of Fear

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9726 posts
  • LocationAtlanta

Posted 03 April 2009 - 04:28 AM

While this old saying applies to water, it should be good enough to accomplish your purpose. It refers to 16oz US pints.-A pint's a pound the world around. Which is basically what Dean said.....only in rhyme.

#5 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

Open Letter (and similar documents) Comptroller

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 03 April 2009 - 04:49 AM

While this old saying applies to water, it should be good enough to accomplish your purpose. It refers to 16oz US pints.-A pint's a pound the world around. Which is basically what Dean said.....only in rhyme.

So 20lb partially filled keg - 11lb = 9lb of beer = 9 pints of beerThanks!

#6 *_Guest_Milf Man_*

*_Guest_Milf Man_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 April 2009 - 06:30 AM

For an easy way to see how much is left in the keg;Pour some boiling water on the outside of the keg.In seconds, you will see the level of beer in the keg as a line of condensate.Cheers,Milf Man

#7 DuncanDad

DuncanDad

Comptroller of Complaints and Unruly Clients

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21285 posts
  • LocationLaGrange, GA

Posted 03 April 2009 - 07:10 AM

I just pull my keg out of the kegerator and let it sit on the floor for a couple of minutes. The condensation will give you the level in about a minute or 2.

#8 chuck_d

chuck_d

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1022 posts
  • LocationAtlanta, GA

Posted 03 April 2009 - 09:10 AM

So 20lb partially filled keg - 11lb = 9lb of beer = 9 pints of beerThanks!

Back when I first made this calculator I posted a thread on the old board about how to calculate the weight of a volume of liquid based on its gravity. I did it so I could fill my kegs on a scale and know when they reach near capacity without having to look in (doing a closed transfer).Posted ImageI expand it so you can do it backwards too, to calculate the volume from the weight, that way you can just write the tare weight on all you kegs and measure their weight to know the quantity left. To me, this would seem a much easier approach than splashing boiling water onto a keg in my kitchen or relying upon a low enough dew point for the condensation trick to work (which it has for me in the past). They also sell those little stickers at micromatic that you can wipe with a wet cloth and they'll show you the level of the keg, but they and the condensation tricks don't seem to work fast enough for handling the filling process from a fermenter.

#9 CoastieSteve

CoastieSteve

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 852 posts

Posted 03 April 2009 - 02:25 PM

At this year's unit Christmas party I ended up with a luggage scale in the gift exchange. Pretty handy for $10. It's basically a handle with a hook at the bottom and a digital readout. My cornies average about 50 lbs full and 10.9 lbs empty.

#10 BarelyBrews

BarelyBrews

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1631 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 03 April 2009 - 04:27 PM

I also have been wondering how to figure out the amount of beer left, i have a nice scale that i think will work too. But , have been afraid to disturb yeast in the bottom and cloudy my nice clear beer up again . I suspect it would clear again in a day or two if that happened though. Some good ideas here though.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users