25 replies to this topic

#1 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54014 posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 07:19 PM

This is becoming one of my favorite beers lately.  I have made it 5 or 6 times and tweak it a little bit here or there.  When I had a bunch of family over in March (15-20 beer drinkers in the house), I tapped this beer around 4pm on a Friday and the keg burped around 2am Saturday and people were drinking from my three other taps as well.  I just made this beer twice in the spring of 2013 and I have the latest batch of it on tap right now.  Check it out...

Bordertown Mexican Dark Lager

5.25 lbs Pale Ale Malt or Pilsner Malt (I used Canada Malting 2-row for this last one)

3.00 lbs Weyermann Vienna

1.00 lbs Flaked Corn

6 ounces Belgian CaraMunich 45°L

2 ounces Midnight Wheat

5.2 AAU Hallertau Tradition pellets for 60 mins

1 oz Hersbrucker pellets 2.8% for 20 mins

Wyeast 2124 Bohemian Lager yeast

OG: 1.050, FG: 1.013, IBU: 30, SRM: 14, ABV: 4.8%

I mashed at 151° (single infusion for 60 mins) and I also used 25% distilled water to lower the bicarbonate.  I have used debittered black malt in the past but used Midnight Wheat in this one and it's really nice.  Very smooth with some color.  I made this one with White Labs 940 Mexican Lager yeast originally but 2124 works very well also.  I happen to have 940 working in a batch of Cabana Lager at the moment and I may just make another batch of Bordertown and use the 940 before I retire it.  A pic...

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by KenLenard, 04 June 2013 - 07:47 PM.

#2 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 05 June 2013 - 06:16 AM

I really like 2124.  what does flaked corn bring to the table?  I've never used it.

#3 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18068 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 06:29 AM

Damn it Ken .. you are really going to force me to try and make a lager.  I have everything on that list in "stock" except for the corn and yeast .. Hmmm ...

#4 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 05 June 2013 - 06:33 AM

Damn it Ken .. you are really going to force me to try and make a lager.  I have everything on that list in "stock" except for the corn and yeast .. Hmmm ...

A vienna type lager is a nice place to start.  My first was an oktoberfest which I think is also a good choice.

#5 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18068 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 06:46 AM

A vienna type lager is a nice place to start.  My first was an oktoberfest which I think is also a good choice.

I have been considering starting with a Vienna.  Of course now I am worried my water will not work with the style :1zhelp:

#6 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 05 June 2013 - 06:54 AM

I have been considering starting with a Vienna.  Of course now I am worried my water will not work with the style :1zhelp:

I'm not sure if this is a ken joke or serious :lol:

what is your water like?

#7 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18068 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 07:05 AM

Calcium 26

Magnesium 3

Sodium 19

Sulfate 12

Chloride 29

Bicarbonate 68

I know Ken cut this one 25% with RO, I think he posted his water profile in the MLPA thread.  I will have to go back and compare.

#8 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 05 June 2013 - 07:19 AM

Calcium 26

Magnesium 3

Sodium 19

Sulfate 12

Chloride 29

Bicarbonate 68

I know Ken cut this one 25% with RO, I think he posted his water profile in the MLPA thread.  I will have to go back and compare.

it's b/c ken has a lot of bicarb.  you and I do not.  your water will be fine with some additions to get the pH right.

#9 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18068 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 07:22 AM

it's b/c ken has a lot of bicarb.  you and I do not.  your water will be fine with some additions to get the pH right.

Alrighty then .. time to give one of these a go!

#10 Jdtirado

Jdtirado

Comptroller of Betties & Crocs

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2162 posts
  • LocationVirginia

Posted 05 June 2013 - 07:35 AM

The one that I made from Studs' recipe turned out good.

#11 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54014 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 07:35 AM

Agreed, your water would be fine.  A little CaCl and/or gypsum to get your Ca up to 50ppm and I think you would make an excellent Vienna Lager.  Studs, the flaked corn is just in there for fermentables, lighten the body, add a small amount of crispness, etc.  I had a conversation with a guy who runs a brewery in Denver and they only make Mexican Lagers.  He mentioned that corn is almost always used in traditional Mexican style beers because it's cheap and locally available.  Would you be able to tell the difference between one made with and without the corn?  Not sure.  Cheers gang.

#12 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 05 June 2013 - 08:22 AM

Agreed, your water would be fine.  A little CaCl and/or gypsum to get your Ca up to 50ppm and I think you would make an excellent Vienna Lager.  Studs, the flaked corn is just in there for fermentables, lighten the body, add a small amount of crispness, etc.  I had a conversation with a guy who runs a brewery in Denver and they only make Mexican Lagers.  He mentioned that corn is almost always used in traditional Mexican style beers because it's cheap and locally available.  Would you be able to tell the difference between one made with and without the corn?  Not sure.  Cheers gang.

I'd bet that with only a pound it would be a pretty minor difference either way.

#13 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54014 posts

Posted 13 July 2013 - 07:29 AM

I took a shot of this beer on Friday evening as I was making some shrimp skewers on the grill.  The keg blew a couple glasses later.  I'm making it again today!

Posted Image

#14 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18068 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 07:29 AM

I have some 2124 coming next week.  Time to give this lager thing a try.

#15 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68757 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 19 July 2013 - 07:38 AM

at the rate of 1# in that recipe one could easily use Rice and no-one would notice, plain old Minute Rice works great

#16 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54014 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 12:48 PM

I have some 2124 coming next week.  Time to give this lager thing a try.

Whoo!  Do you have a spot for fermentation around 50° or so?  2124 is a really nice yeast and I am going to be firing up a blob of it here soon too.  Cheers and keep us posted.

#17 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18068 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 12:58 PM

Whoo!  Do you have a spot for fermentation around 50° or so?  2124 is a really nice yeast and I am going to be firing up a blob of it here soon too.  Cheers and keep us posted.

Yes, I have a fermentation chamber and a converted wine fridge that can get down to that temperature.  I will probably just go 100% Hallertau seeing I have a ton of them.  Looking forward to this one.

#18 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54014 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 01:14 PM

Yum.  I hope it comes out nicely.  Let me know how it comes out.

#19 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64056 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 31 July 2013 - 06:51 AM

How does this compare with Negra Modelo, Ken?  NM is my go to summer refreshing beer, but it's just missing a little something.  I think a hair more on bitterness and maybe hop aroma would put it over the top for me.

#20 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54014 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 07:06 AM

How does this compare with Negra Modelo, Ken?  NM is my go to summer refreshing beer, but it's just missing a little something.  I think a hair more on bitterness and maybe hop aroma would put it over the top for me.

JK, you know what you should do?  Check out the Jamil Vienna Lager recipe.  I think I posted it in the beer forum (sort of... if it's not there, I'll post it here).  It's very much like NM, only better and fresher.  You could use the 2308 which is called for or you could use 2124 or 940 (Mexican Lager) and I think you would have a beer that is better than NM.  That Jamil recipe calls for hops at 60 and 10 and if you wanted a bit more aroma, go with a FO addition or whirlpool addition.  It's all Hallertau and the 2 ounces of Carafa really make a nice beer.  This Bordertown Lager recipe is a little lighter than Jamil's Vienna so possibly not in line with your tastebuds.  Cheers.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users