#1 pods8

pods8

Grand Duke of Near Misses

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28296 posts
  • LocationThornton, CO

Posted 11 June 2013 - 09:53 AM

Reading through some of the ideas that were tossed around in the group brew thread got my brain going on chocolate mead.  I have a batch of semi-sweet mead that was spiced with cinnamon and vanilla that has about 6mo on it.  I was thinking of pulling off a quart of it and hitting it with 1/2oz of unsweetened cocoa powder to try it out.  However in some poking around I see mentions of a long aging time needed for cocoa powder?  I was naively thinking I could sample the above combo after a shorter period since it was powder mixing in verse the alcohol extracting flavors (like with vanilla beans/cinn sticks/etc.).  What experiences/advice do you all have with the stuff?

#2 eldernerd

eldernerd

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts
  • LocationMooseville

Posted 12 June 2013 - 04:55 PM

I would not do it.

Unsweetend cocoa is bitter and will offset any sweetness in the mead. plus I'm not sure how it would mix. you might make Mud.

With my limited cocoa experience the cocoa seems to settle out and just leave the modest cocoa taste.

#3 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68748 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 12 June 2013 - 05:39 PM

chocolate liquor?

#4 Genesee Ted

Genesee Ted

yabba dabba doob

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 49850 posts
  • LocationRochester, NY

Posted 12 June 2013 - 09:52 PM

chocolate liquor?

Liqueurs are an excellent way to flavor meads.  I cannot recommend them highly enough.  Some may see this as cheating, I do not. 

#5 pods8

pods8

Grand Duke of Near Misses

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28296 posts
  • LocationThornton, CO

Posted 18 June 2013 - 11:07 AM

On a whim I ended up heating up ~6oz water and mixed with 1oz(wt) cocoa to disolve it, then mixed it with 1/2gal of mead.  I sampled some and it tasted like super dark chocolate, ie that bitter taste but not intolerable but not super enjoyable.  I'll just let that age and see what happens. :)

#6 eldernerd

eldernerd

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts
  • LocationMooseville

Posted 01 July 2013 - 04:26 PM

This works great to add Choclate flavor to your brews. Fortifies it a bit too!

Chocolate LiqueurIngredients3/4 cup cacao nibs (I used Raw Nibs from Whole foods)1 3/4 cup vodka 80 or 90 proof el cheepo1 1/2 cups sugar1 cup water1/2 Vanilla Bean cut into 1/4 piecesProcedures1. Combine the cacao nibs, Vanilla Bean pieces and vodka in a clean sealable glass jar. A Quart Mason jar with a new lid works nice. Shake Daily for 2 or 3 weeks.2. Boil the water then turn off the heat and add the sugar, stir fast and as best you can to dislove it all. Add the thick syrup to jar when cool.   Stir to get it mixed up a bit then Let stand for a week, shaking daily.3. Filter out the nibs and Vanilla through a coffee filter into a clean clear .750ml wine Bottle. Cap with a plastic tasking cork.

#7 eldernerd

eldernerd

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts
  • LocationMooseville

Posted 01 July 2013 - 05:46 PM

Liqueurs are an excellent way to flavor meads.  I cannot recommend them highly enough.  Some may see this as cheating, I do not. 

I don't see a problem as with the Liqueurs, either bought or home made thay both have the same sugar content and both will usally bring the ABV to a point that the yeast will no longer do their thing! 1122 stops at 14%

I've seen lots of comerical foritified meads.

Trying to understand the logic. I have pointed ears.

#8 Genesee Ted

Genesee Ted

yabba dabba doob

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 49850 posts
  • LocationRochester, NY

Posted 01 July 2013 - 10:31 PM

I don't see a problem as with the Liqueurs, either bought or home made thay both have the same sugar content and both will usally bring the ABV to a point that the yeast will no longer do their thing! 1122 stops at 14%

I've seen lots of comerical foritified meads.

Trying to understand the logic. I have pointed ears.

We are in agreement 

#9 StankDelicious

StankDelicious

Comptroller of BigBossMan

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14017 posts
  • LocationMarylandistan

Posted 14 July 2013 - 03:22 PM

What are the advantage of nibs over cocoa powder? And what would be the difference in the amounts added?

#10 eldernerd

eldernerd

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts
  • LocationMooseville

Posted 14 July 2013 - 08:44 PM

Thats Loaded Question... It Depends on what you are brewing. Something that requires some backsweetening use nibs to make a liqueur. If you want something in the brew use nibs over cocoa to avoid the cocoa settelment on the lees. make sure its still sweet enough to offset any bitterness of the nibs.

#11 StankDelicious

StankDelicious

Comptroller of BigBossMan

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14017 posts
  • LocationMarylandistan

Posted 16 November 2013 - 02:01 PM

I want to sub nibs for the powder. If a recipe calls for 10oz of cocoa powder, should I use the same amount of nibs, less or more?

#12 armagh

armagh

Grumpy Frost Giant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6705 posts
  • LocationBandit Country

Posted 16 November 2013 - 02:30 PM

What are the advantage of nibs over cocoa powder? And what would be the difference in the amounts added?

Roasted nibs leave behind far less oil than cocoa that hasn't been "Dutched", making for easier clean-up.  How much depends on the nature of the cocoa powder and the duration it stays in the must.  I use 3 oz. for 5 gal beer, but for a mead, I'd easily double that to 6 oz.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users