22 replies to this topic

#1 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16523 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 07:04 AM

Maturing trees and frozen blossoms in 2012 have led to a bumper crop of apples this year. Gonna need a cider press a year or two earlier than expected. A grinder too.

Do any of you have a press that you really like? Homemade or commercial doesn't matter. If the design is really nice I will try to make it myself. But I'm not against buying one. Within reason, I'll even spend a little extra if it's worth it.

#2 Genesee Ted

Genesee Ted

yabba dabba doob

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 49850 posts
  • LocationRochester, NY

Posted 28 July 2013 - 12:07 PM

I wish I could help you man.  The one I use is my buddy's.  I have no idea the make and model, but it has a conveyor belt that leads to the mill which drops the pomace into burlap lined wooden frames and then it gets pressed pneumatically.  It is from like 1954 I think.  It works flawlessly from what I have seen.  Pretty simple really.  He is saying the same thing about the crop though.  Massive bumper  :frank:   So much cider, cyser, and other treats will come of this!

#3 ScottS

ScottS

Lord and Master

• King of the Chickens
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 17487 posts
  • LocationMy lawn

Posted 29 July 2013 - 08:08 AM

*watching with interest*I've got TONS of apples on the way. The most convenient way to preserve them, of course, is to make cider and cyser. :)

#4 ScottS

ScottS

Lord and Master

• King of the Chickens
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 17487 posts
  • LocationMy lawn

Posted 29 July 2013 - 08:37 AM

I just ordered the book with instructions to build this:https://www.whizbangcider.com/

#5 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 29 July 2013 - 10:08 AM

I just ordered the book with instructions to build this:https://www.whizbangcider.com/

i've seen this before and every time i come across it again i think it moves a little bit.  what type of apples are you going to use?

#6 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16523 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 11:10 AM

i've seen this before and every time i come across it again i think it moves a little bit.  what type of apples are you going to use?

Producing this year I have Honeycrisp, Wolf River, Whitney Crab, September Ruby and Sweet Sixteen. I also have access to some "wild" apple trees that grow some that are sour and puckery. Not yet productive are St. Edmunds Pippen, Frostbite, Ashmead's Kernel, and Wickson Crab.

I'll have to check out that whizbang link. If money were no object I would get this bad-ass here https://www.yakimapr...ill-apple-press

Alas, money is an object.

#7 ScottS

ScottS

Lord and Master

• King of the Chickens
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 17487 posts
  • LocationMy lawn

Posted 29 July 2013 - 12:18 PM

The island is covered in semi-wild apple trees. There are old orchards all over the place. I've got 10-20 trees on our property that are easy to get at and pick. No idea what they are, but the locals tells me they used to come here as kids and pick these apples because they are so good. I just had the land cleared to plant a bunch more next spring, but those will be awhile to come in. Those will be all hipster/antique apples. I loved them before they were cool. :P We're leaving the antique trees downstate that I've got planted before the apples will mature. :(By the way, we built the Whizbang guy's chicken plucker about 10 years ago. Cheap, effective, and still running strong after 10 years. If this design is as good as that one, I'm going to be very happy with it.

#8 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 30 July 2013 - 05:05 AM

The island is covered in semi-wild apple trees. There are old orchards all over the place. I've got 10-20 trees on our property that are easy to get at and pick. No idea what they are, but the locals tells me they used to come here as kids and pick these apples because they are so good. I just had the land cleared to plant a bunch more next spring, but those will be awhile to come in. Those will be all hipster/antique apples. I loved them before they were cool. :P We're leaving the antique trees downstate that I've got planted before the apples will mature. :(By the way, we built the Whizbang guy's chicken plucker about 10 years ago. Cheap, effective, and still running strong after 10 years. If this design is as good as that one, I'm going to be very happy with it.

bummer about your trees but at least you are inheriting a bunch of new ones.  i'd really like to get my hands on the right kind of juice for cider but so far i've only been able to start with blends that are intended for drinking unfermented.  the end product is decent but probably not quite right to be truely authentic.  i'm working on getting a source though...

Edited by TheGuv, 30 July 2013 - 05:05 AM.

#9 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16523 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 09:57 AM

Ordered. Looks pretty solid. We'll see where this goes.

#10 eldernerd

eldernerd

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts
  • LocationMooseville

Posted 30 July 2013 - 10:24 AM

Hi, I bought a Cast Iron 8 quart press off Ebay for 32 bucks and 25 shipping. 57 bucks delivered. It needed restoring so I did Electrosys on it with a big car battery charger and washing soda. It removed all the old paint and stuff great combined with bakeing on the outside covered grill for a while. I did not repaint but rather Seasoned the cast iron parts like you would season a skillet. The Results were great. So for a little elbow grease and time I have a usable pretty good looking antique to squeeze my apples.Attached File  beforeb.jpg   21.34KB   14 downloadsAttached File  P7300407b.jpg   27.73KB   24 downloads

#11 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16523 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 10:40 AM

Wow nice job. That thing came out looking great. Have you used it yet?

#12 eldernerd

eldernerd

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts
  • LocationMooseville

Posted 30 July 2013 - 11:44 AM

Wow nice job. That thing came out looking great. Have you used it yet?

Nope not yet, September I'll use it a lot. Grapes and apples. BTW I seasoned it with grapeseed oil so it wants grapes first... :rolf:

#13 Genesee Ted

Genesee Ted

yabba dabba doob

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 49850 posts
  • LocationRochester, NY

Posted 30 July 2013 - 05:34 PM

Wow awesome project!  That is some serious dedication!  I hope it brings you years of joy!  So cool!  

Exclamation points!!!!  :frank:  :cheers:

#14 ScottS

ScottS

Lord and Master

• King of the Chickens
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 17487 posts
  • LocationMy lawn

Posted 18 August 2013 - 05:53 AM

Started ordering parts last night. I haven't bought any wood yet, and I'm already $600 in. :covreyes: I'm sure I could have saved some money getting some parts used, but I'm crunched for time and I wanted to make sure I was getting equipment with the right specs.

#15 StankDelicious

StankDelicious

Comptroller of BigBossMan

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14017 posts
  • LocationMarylandistan

Posted 18 August 2013 - 01:00 PM

Started ordering parts last night. I haven't bought any wood yet, and I'm already $600 in. :covreyes: I'm sure I could have saved some money getting some parts used, but I'm crunched for time and I wanted to make sure I was getting equipment with the right specs.

I want the first bottle of cider with bits of Scottflesh in it.

#16 ScottS

ScottS

Lord and Master

• King of the Chickens
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 17487 posts
  • LocationMy lawn

Posted 18 August 2013 - 02:46 PM

I want the first bottle of cider with bits of Scottflesh in it.

I have no intention of sticking my hand into the disposal, so you're going to have to live with just apples. :)

#17 StankDelicious

StankDelicious

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14017 posts
  • LocationMarylandistan

Posted 18 August 2013 - 03:27 PM

I have no intention of sticking my hand into the disposal, so you're going to have to live with just apples. :)

No one ever has the intention...

#18 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68748 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 18 August 2013 - 03:30 PM

No one ever has the intention...

blood will be good for clarification

#19 StankDelicious

StankDelicious

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14017 posts
  • LocationMarylandistan

Posted 18 August 2013 - 05:34 PM

blood will be good for clarification

I call this the Vagus method.

#20 EWW

EWW

Regular, normal human being

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26137 posts
  • LocationSomewhere special

Posted 18 August 2013 - 07:17 PM

I built a press a couple years ago, but the press stand needs to be rebuilt for more strength. Disposal grinder ala wiz bang. HF farm lift jack to apply pressure, and the rims from a kid's bike for hoops on the press basket.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users