#1 StankDelicious

StankDelicious

Comptroller of BigBossMan

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14017 posts
  • LocationMarylandistan

Posted 18 August 2013 - 09:36 AM

After picking Hophead's brain via PM, this is what I've come up with.

All Grain (6 gallons)

4 lbs Pilsner (2 Row) Ger (2.0 SRM) 47.4 %

3 lbs Wheat Malt, Ger (2.0 SRM) 35.5 %

12.0 oz Munich Malt (9.0 SRM)  8.9 %

11.0 oz Acid Malt (3.0 SRM) 8.2 %

0.80 oz Hallertauer [4.00 %] - 7.8 IBUs

1.00 Items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 15.0 mins)

1.00 oz Coriander Seed (Boil 10.0 mins)

0.75 oz Himalayan Sea Salt (Boil 10.0 mins)

1.0 pkg Berliner Weiss (Wyeast Labs #3191)

Mash at 149. 30 min boil.

I plan on giving this a shot this Saturday. Never used a lacto/brett strain before. Should be interesting.

#2 StankDelicious

StankDelicious

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14017 posts
  • LocationMarylandistan

Posted 18 August 2013 - 12:48 PM

Why use acidulated malt? I was under the impression that you do a sour mash? Or you could try to do a "seven day sour."

I've googled every recipe I could find on the subject. A lot of them have 1-2lbs of acidulated malt in them, others don't and use lactic acid and some rely on the yeast. Then I came across hophead's old thread over at the greenboard and decided to contact him here. He is the one who recommended the yeast strain.

The seven day sour is for a gueuze style beer, which isn't what you want in a gose (not the same styles). The combination of the yeast and the acid malt should give it a more complex tartness. One of the chief complaints I read of only using acid malt or just lactic acid is it was too one dimensional.

This is my initial stab at it. Hophead's recipe called for more pilsner malt, no munich and the amounts of coriander and salt were reversed.

Edited by BigBossMan, 18 August 2013 - 12:51 PM.

#3 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68757 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 18 August 2013 - 03:10 PM

Yeah, I know that. But you could use similar technique for the gose. A gose is a sour beer, FWIW. It should, IMO, get its sourness from lactic and brett fermentation. You can get a lot of complexity from doing a sour mash or from pitching lacto in the hot wort before the boil for a day, then ferment with brett after the boil. I think using acid malt is a cop out, but it also might add undesired contributions (it is pale malt).

I don't know about the munich - I thought the style was just pilsner and wheat.

https://byo.com/stor.../item/2349-gose

confused

why would you pitch lacto bre boil? 

#4 StankDelicious

StankDelicious

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14017 posts
  • LocationMarylandistan

Posted 18 August 2013 - 03:20 PM

Yeah, I know that. But you could use similar technique for the gose. A gose is a sour beer, FWIW. It should, IMO, get its sourness from lactic and brett fermentation. You can get a lot of complexity from doing a sour mash or from pitching lacto in the hot wort before the boil for a day, then ferment with brett after the boil. I think using acid malt is a cop out, but it also might add undesired contributions (it is pale malt).

I don't know about the munich - I thought the style was just pilsner and wheat.

https://byo.com/stor.../item/2349-gose

Most of the recipes just call for pilsner & wheat, but I was intrigued by the ones I saw with Munich in them. I just wanted to put a bit of Munich in this first batch to see how it goes. The small amount of acid malt is there to work with what the yeast will hopefully give me.

The 3191 has Lactobacillus in it as well as Brett. Although the Brett characteristics won't develop unless I bottle age it for a long while. I'm not really looking for that though. I'm not making a Berliner Weisse. I just want the acidity the yeast will give me.

Edited by BigBossMan, 18 August 2013 - 03:22 PM.

#5 StankDelicious

StankDelicious

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14017 posts
  • LocationMarylandistan

Posted 18 August 2013 - 05:33 PM

Lacto hates hops. You can make a hoppy sour beer this way.

I'm not sure how my tastebuds would feel about that. :P

I guess I'm confused - I thought gose was basically a berliner weisse with salt and coriander.

I don't think you're wrong. They do look very similar recipe wise, but I don't think the Brett is supposed to be the dominant characteristic in a Gose and it shouldn't be as sour as a Berliner Weisse. I could be wrong. I'm very new to this area of brewing.

Edited by BigBossMan, 18 August 2013 - 06:18 PM.

#6 StankDelicious

StankDelicious

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14017 posts
  • LocationMarylandistan

Posted 18 August 2013 - 06:42 PM

Since I know you had it, the Union Craft Gose was more tart than a lot of berliner weisses I've had. But you are correct with the brett, I think.

I don't have a lot to compare it to unfortunately. I did have a marionberry hibiscus gose the other day. Very tasty.

#7 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68757 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 18 August 2013 - 07:15 PM

Lacto hates hops. You can make a hoppy sour beer this way.

I was assuming you were going to boil the lacto impregnated wort :D you did state pre boil, I think you meant un boiled?

#8 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68757 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 18 August 2013 - 08:07 PM

Yes, boil the lacto-impregnanted wort. Read that link I posted up:  

derp, missed the for a day part, the article says 3 days though

#9 StankDelicious

StankDelicious

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14017 posts
  • LocationMarylandistan

Posted 23 August 2013 - 06:40 PM

Well despite the Brew Gods best efforts to thwart me today, she is in the fermenter. I can't detect the acidulated malt in the wort, but the amount of salt and coriander is spot on. I can't wait to see what the 3191 does to this beer.

I was hoping to get 5.5 gallons in the ferment but barely managed to get 5. OG is 1.036.

#10 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68757 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 25 August 2013 - 10:11 AM

Well despite the Brew Gods best efforts to thwart me today, she is in the fermenter. I can't detect the acidulated malt in the wort, but the amount of salt and coriander is spot on. I can't wait to see what the 3191 does to this beer.

I was hoping to get 5.5 gallons in the ferment but barely managed to get 5. OG is 1.036.

awesome!

I'll take quality over quantity

#11 StankDelicious

StankDelicious

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14017 posts
  • LocationMarylandistan

Posted 09 September 2013 - 02:42 PM

When can I drink it? I got a growler of Union's Old Pro Gose this weekend and drank it all myself.

It is still in the primary. Hophead said to let the yeast work its magic for 30 days. So I won't be kegging until the end of the month.

#12 StankDelicious

StankDelicious

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14017 posts
  • LocationMarylandistan

Posted 09 September 2013 - 02:45 PM

When can I drink it? I got a growler of Union's Old Pro Gose this weekend and drank it all myself.

And I hate you.

#13 StankDelicious

StankDelicious

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14017 posts
  • LocationMarylandistan

Posted 09 September 2013 - 06:21 PM

We should head over there again before it gose away. I think it's seasonal.

How much was the growler?

#14 StankDelicious

StankDelicious

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14017 posts
  • LocationMarylandistan

Posted 20 September 2013 - 03:58 PM

Cold crashed, kegged and force carbed. Initially tasting has left me unsure, The yeast is a little funkier than I expected but not unpleasantly so,

#15 StankDelicious

StankDelicious

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14017 posts
  • LocationMarylandistan

Posted 22 September 2013 - 08:16 AM

After numerous pints, I've decided I love the taste but don't care for the nose the yeast gives the beer.

#16 hophead

hophead

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
  • LocationWalk About Creek

Posted 22 September 2013 - 03:34 PM

That beer has a very long shelf life. That's the main reason we bottled instead of kegging. It gets better as time goes by.

#17 StankDelicious

StankDelicious

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14017 posts
  • LocationMarylandistan

Posted 22 September 2013 - 05:22 PM

I see I wasn't invited over.

Are you still spending weeknights in Frederick? I can put some in a growler and drop it off after work.

#18 StankDelicious

StankDelicious

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14017 posts
  • LocationMarylandistan

Posted 23 September 2013 - 10:26 PM

BBM just dropped a growler off for me and we tasted a bit. It is very good! Perhaps the coriander will age out and be less strong. The salt and funk are good, but the sourness needs development, IMO. Hell of a first attempt without much reference to go on! :cheers:

I think next time I'll back off the coriander just a tad and go with .75oz instead of a full ounce.

I'm happy to receive the Guest mushroom stamp of approval. Wait... what?

#19 hophead

hophead

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
  • LocationWalk About Creek

Posted 24 September 2013 - 09:39 AM

BBM just dropped a growler off for me and we tasted a bit. It is very good! Perhaps the coriander will age out and be less strong. The salt and funk are good, but the sourness needs development, IMO. Hell of a first attempt without much reference to go on! :cheers:

I don't know man, I'm fairly experienced with it. Just for info only, when using 3191 if you get the IBU's too high, you will subdue the sourness. I use 6 IBU's...

#20 StankDelicious

StankDelicious

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14017 posts
  • LocationMarylandistan

Posted 24 September 2013 - 02:23 PM

I don't know man, I'm fairly experienced with it. Just for info only, when using 3191 if you get the IBU's too high, you will subdue the sourness. I use 6 IBU's...

I was at 7.8 IBU's.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users