• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16523 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 12:12 PM

In January I made the following

6.5# OB honey

~3.25gal water to 1.072

4g Potassium Bicarbonate

11.5g US-05 yeast

Used GoFerm and SNA. This was cold crashed and stabilized upon transfer to secondary where it sat until today. It now sits 3 gallons of finished product at 1.004 in a keg. Its very clean tasting and surprisingly sweet.

The intent is to add fresh squeezed lime juice, fresh mint, lime zest and back sweeten if necessary. Then carbonate and serve. Today it went to the keg and where I need help is what to do next. Carbonate? Acid (Lime Juice)? Start with the mint or lime zest one at a time? In what order would you approach this? Thanks.

ETA: Also if anyone has used fresh mint leaves, do you muddle them before steeping in the keg or put them in whole? Will muddled or chopped mint leave grassy flavors?

Edited by ettels4, 23 August 2013 - 12:14 PM.

#2 eldernerd

eldernerd

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts
  • LocationMooseville

Posted 25 August 2013 - 06:20 PM

The intent is to add fresh squeezed lime juice, fresh mint, lime zest and back sweeten if necessary. Then carbonate and serve. Today it went to the keg and where I need help is what to do next. Carbonate? Acid (Lime Juice)? Start with the mint or lime zest one at a time? In what order would you approach this? Thanks.

ETA: Also if anyone has used fresh mint leaves, do you muddle them before steeping in the keg or put them in whole? Will muddled or chopped mint leave grassy flavors?

Personally, if its already sweet I would just carbonate. period. Once its in the keg keep the CO2 on it till its gone as oxidation and off flavors will happen when its expossed.

Think of it as a base for your bartender creations! How would you like your mead today? You can always add fresh lime or mint to each glass as the carbonation will do the rest.

Edited by eldernerd, 25 August 2013 - 06:25 PM.

#3 Genesee Ted

Genesee Ted

yabba dabba doob

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 49850 posts
  • LocationRochester, NY

Posted 26 August 2013 - 03:39 PM

Personally, if its already sweet I would just carbonate. period. Once its in the keg keep the CO2 on it till its gone as oxidation and off flavors will happen when its expossed.

Think of it as a base for your bartender creations! How would you like your mead today? You can always add fresh lime or mint to each glass as the carbonation will do the rest.

Good advice.  OTOH, if you are intent on entering your Mojto Mel in comps, it is hard to ask judges to to that.

#4 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16523 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 08:23 PM

You know this really is one of the best ideas I have heard that I probably wont follow. And I get exactly what you are saying. One day it could lime, mint and rum, and the next night orange and vanilla, or lemon verbena... whatever you can think up. Add honey to the glass if you need it. I probably will pursue that idea in the future too. My reason for sticking with plan A is just that I am somewhat trying to learn to dose these things and go through the process of additions and tasting and getting a feel for what it takes to dose the mead to my liking. Does that make sense?

Good advice.  OTOH, if you are intent on entering your Mojto Mel in comps, it is hard to ask judges to to that.

Good thought but negative on the comps doob.

#5 EWW

EWW

Regular, normal human being

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26137 posts
  • LocationSomewhere special

Posted 27 August 2013 - 06:07 AM

Friend of mine used to add simply limeaid to blondes an it turned out nicely.Maybe a mint simple syrup?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users