#181 matt6150

matt6150

Moderately Accelerated Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10549 posts
  • LocationMooresville, NC

Posted 28 October 2014 - 12:15 PM

Not the greatest pic and had some condensation but... 75% red-x, 25% rye.Posted Image

#182 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts
  • LocationCoconut Creek, FL

Posted 28 October 2014 - 12:34 PM

Nice

#183 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16628 posts

Posted 28 October 2014 - 12:41 PM

Not the greatest pic and had some condensation but... 75% red-x, 25% rye.Posted Image

Was it more red than the pic shows? That looks more deep orange/amber to me. Seems like some of the other pics were like that too. That's one reason why I used pale chocolate in mine, to help redden it up. Still don't know if it worked or not. I'll post a pic when I tap it.

#184 matt6150

matt6150

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10549 posts

Posted 28 October 2014 - 03:25 PM

Was it more red than the pic shows? That looks more deep orange/amber to me. Seems like some of the other pics were like that too. That's one reason why I used pale chocolate in mine, to help redden it up. Still don't know if it worked or not. I'll post a pic when I tap it.

No, it pretty much looked like that. Really my 2 100% red-x beers were not that red either. Not sure if it's my water or what but I would very much like to brew a nice bright red beer.

#185 Genesee Ted

Genesee Ted

yabba dabba doob

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 49859 posts
  • LocationRochester, NY

Posted 28 October 2014 - 05:14 PM

I don't know, the beers I brewed 100% were pretty red.  Clarity helps.  Try using some finings and crashing as low as you can without freezing it.  

#186 matt6150

matt6150

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10549 posts

Posted 28 October 2014 - 06:06 PM

I usually crash for 48 hours at very close to freezing before I keg. Picked up some biofine awhile back so I will try that. Also I think the next time I brew with red-x I will start with a OG of around 1.050.

#187 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts

Posted 18 November 2014 - 06:38 AM

Good Morning Gents,

I checked gravity on my Red-X Doppel Alt last night and the WY1007 went from 1.065 to 1.012 in the course of a week.  Couldn't help but notice that within a half hour of getting my sample to temp a good layer of yeast was sitting in the bottom of the test jar.  Wyeast claims a lot of yeast will remain in suspension post fermentation.  While this doesn't bother me too much I was hoping to have a brilliantly clear red beer here :)  Can I assume that after a couple weeks in the keg the yeast will drop out and give me clarity?

I think I have a fantastically accidental Doppel on my hands here.  I wanted malty and the combo of Red-X and Munich delivered.  Mildly Magnum'ed and generously Moteuka'd this is going to be one stellar Christmas treat.

#188 ChicagoWaterGuy

ChicagoWaterGuy

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3234 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 18 November 2014 - 06:57 AM

Nice. 1007 will drop bright with some time. If you want to speed up the process, half a pack of gelatin works great.

#189 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts

Posted 18 November 2014 - 07:02 AM

Thanks CWG.  My only fear in adding gel is losing the perfect hop flavor I have going on.  It's very there in a mellow subtle way.  Thoughts?

#190 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53972 posts

Posted 18 November 2014 - 07:04 AM

Remember the shot I posted of an altbier in an authentic altbier glass? That was 1007 and the beer was brilliantly clear.Over HERE, page 2.

Edited by KenLenard, 18 November 2014 - 07:06 AM.

#191 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts

Posted 18 November 2014 - 07:06 AM

Ken, did you gel or did you let lagering time clear the beer?  And if lagering, how long and was the first draw a cloudy pint?

#192 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53972 posts

Posted 18 November 2014 - 07:09 AM

Ken, did you gel or did you let lagering time clear the beer?  And if lagering, how long and was the first draw a cloudy pint?

I gel everything when the beer goes to secondary. That beer was probably very much like almost every other batch I make... primary, secondary w/gel solution on the cool basement floor, into a keg and chilled, force-carbed and then allowed to sit until a tap opens up. Pretty much every "first pint" of a keg has some cloudiness to it but by glass 2 or 3, all clear. I'll say this... there was no additional effort on my part to get that beer clear. 1007 and 2565 can be stubborn floccers but they will clear if all the other variables line up.

Edited by KenLenard, 18 November 2014 - 07:10 AM.

#193 BlKtRe

BlKtRe

Comptroller of le Shartes

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16516 posts
  • LocationThe Land of Oz

Posted 18 November 2014 - 07:10 AM

Time and temp does wonders for clarity. 

#194 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts

Posted 18 November 2014 - 07:13 AM

Going to try and suck out a couple extra points on this batch, gel and keg.  I want to join the post a Red-X pic Club.  Excited about this batch.

#195 ChicagoWaterGuy

ChicagoWaterGuy

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3234 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 18 November 2014 - 07:56 AM

Thanks CWG.  My only fear in adding gel is losing the perfect hop flavor I have going on.  It's very there in a mellow subtle way.  Thoughts?

Gelatin shouldn't change the flavor any more than letting the beer settle bright on its own. 

#196 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53972 posts

Posted 18 November 2014 - 08:02 AM

Using a gel solution does not strip away any flavor nor does it add any flavor. I typically use the gel at room temps but if I have a pale beer that I think would benefit from better clarity, I will move the beer to a keg and chill it and then hit it with gel again when the beer is cold and then carb it. The gel will work on haze that forms when the beer is colder and you know it's working because the first glass of beer from the keg will be heavily sedimented as opposed to just 'cloudy'.

#197 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

Grand Duke of Inappropriate Announcements

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts
  • LocationKnee deep in business plans

Posted 18 November 2014 - 10:21 AM

1007 takes forever to clear on its own. +1 to using gel.

#198 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53972 posts

Posted 03 December 2014 - 07:49 PM

On 11/8 I made a sort of jacked-up marzenbier (jacked up in terms of hops... for the style). About 55% Rahr Pale Ale malt and 45% RedX. Perle, Mt. Hood and Hallertau on the hops and 2206 on the yeast. I sent that beer to secondary yesterday when I made the Pale Bock and I couldn't believe how nice that beer looked. Those of you who have already experienced your RedX beer already know this, I assume. First off, the beer coming out of primary was crystal clear. Then it had the most deep and saturated color to it. It looked and smelled unbelievable. I racked it onto a gel solution so now it's sitting on the cool basement floor (probably about 50° right now) and it looks filtered-clear. The only other beer I made with the RedX so far was a Red Ale that I fermented with WLP011 and it smells funky... so I'm avoiding it at the moment.

#199 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts

Posted 03 December 2014 - 08:22 PM

I finally poured some of Alt'ish Red X today and it's quite good. The 1007 is clearing and I'd say about a week or two from clear. Nice malt character.

#200 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16628 posts

Posted 03 December 2014 - 08:29 PM

My Red-X beer is drinking very well. I have been wanting to post a pic and give my thoughts on it but I haven't had the right timing to get a good picture of it in the daylight.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users