#1 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 13 September 2013 - 04:03 AM

I recently was sent an e-mail from b3 regarding firestone walkers pale 31.  I've never had this beer but I went to the b3 website to see what the hubbub was about.  So I'm reading the description and this beer is made with 2-row, munich, carapils.  other than the carapils that almost sounds like an IPA recipe to me.  I've always used some crystal and maybe even wheat or other specialty grains.  this recipe seems very base grain centric which is surprising.  might very well be delicious though!  i wonder if they mash kind of high.  b3 isn't sharing the inventory.

https://morebeer.com...n-beer-kit.html

#2 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 13 September 2013 - 05:02 AM

No, they mash low, very low at 145.  FW did a series of Can You Brew it Beers.  From that series I started doing a fair amount of beers with that simple grain bill and liked them.  I have moved my grain bill to Pils, Marris Otter and Caravienne or C20.  To me that is all I need in a pale ale or small hoppy beer.

Pale 31 has a bit of oak in it because they blend it with Double Barrel Ale

FW Mission Street Pale

[color=#000000;][font="verdana, sans-serif;"]6 gallons post-boil, 70% efficiencyOG 1044IBUs 12.2SRM 4.13.85kg Pale Malt 80%720g Munich 15%240g Carapils 5%90 minute boil7g Fuggles 4.75%AA at 90m7g Chinook 13%AA at 30m24g Cascade 6% at 0m24g Centennial 10.5%AA at 0m24g Centennial dry hop24g Cascade dry hopWLP002Mash at 145F for 60m, 155F for 10m[/color][/font]

Edited by drez77, 13 September 2013 - 05:02 AM.

#3 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts
  • LocationCoconut Creek, FL

Posted 13 September 2013 - 05:28 AM

I really appreciate and enjoy a simple APA; not too malty, not too bitter, not too high alcohol. 

On Sunday I'm brewing such a beer;

84% Pale, 5% Vienna, 5% C10, 3% Wheat, 3% Carapils.  Bittered with Columbus, finished with Cascade, about 35 IBU.  Might dry hop with a half ounce of each but for not more than 5 days.  Hoping for super high quaffability.

#4 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53927 posts

Posted 13 September 2013 - 06:30 AM

I make a lot of different "pale ales" and I agree that it's one of the styles that I really enjoy.  There is a lot of wiggle room for grains, hops and yeast so it just seems so wide open.  https://www.brews-br...-pale-ale/]THIS[/url] pale ale I made came out outrageously good and the grain bill is pretty simple and the hop schedule is relatively predictable.  I typically use a straightforward grain bill with base malt plus some small percentage of either Vienna, Munich or wheat and then anywhere from 4 ounces to a full pound of crystal which might range from C20 to C80.  I'm a "clean hop" person but the Amarillo-Citra combination is awesome.  I'm typically a "clean yeast" person as well.  I have something coming up that might straddle the blonde/pale ale categories where it will be SRM 5-6, simple grain bill with Magnum up front and some late Santiam hops.  I haven't used them before and I want them to come through.  Cheers Peeps.

#5 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 13 September 2013 - 06:45 AM

I guess I'm mostly surprised at the lack of crystal or something similar.  this is pretty much just a base malt APA which I've never seen before.

#6 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 13 September 2013 - 06:58 AM

I guess I'm mostly surprised at the lack of crystal or something similar.  this is pretty much just a base malt APA which I've never seen before.

There is a huge movement it seems to remove crystal form APA's and IPA's. 

#7 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts

Posted 13 September 2013 - 07:00 AM

Reminds me of the SNPA recipe that was in BYO several months ago.  If I recall; 11# pale and 10 ounces of C40.  Perle to bitter, Cascade to finish.  Doesn't get much simpler than that.  Of course it has crystal, which you say/think should be lacking....  The simplicity does appeal to me tho.

Thoughts?

#8 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 13 September 2013 - 07:04 AM

Reminds me of the SNPA recipe that was in BYO several months ago.  If I recall; 11# pale and 10 ounces of C40.  Perle to bitter, Cascade to finish.  Doesn't get much simpler than that.  Of course it has crystal, which you say/think should be lacking....  The simplicity does appeal to me tho.

Thoughts?

From the horses mouth

https://www.brews-br...-pale-and-cele/

#9 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68757 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 13 September 2013 - 07:09 AM

the Munich and CaraPils together will have a similar effect

#10 djinkc

djinkc

Comptroller of Non-Defending Defenders of Inarticulate Twats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts
  • Locationout the backdoor

Posted 13 September 2013 - 07:25 AM

My simplest is 95% 2-Row and 5% Special Roast.  FWH only (C-hops). 1.050 - 1.056 and 50 - 60 IBUs. Mashed low and fermented low.

#11 MtnBrewer

MtnBrewer

Skynet Architect

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6695 posts
  • LocationThe Springs

Posted 13 September 2013 - 07:56 AM

This is a great galloping generalization but I think most commercial recipes tend to be simpler than most homebrew recipes.drez if you happen to have a recipe that approximates DBA, you'll be my hero.

#12 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts

Posted 13 September 2013 - 08:11 AM

This is a great galloping generalization but I think most commercial recipes tend to be simpler than most homebrew recipes.

I'd think they have to be.drez if you happen to have a recipe that approximates DBA, you'll be my hero.

What is this DBA you speak of?

#13 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 13 September 2013 - 08:15 AM

This is a great galloping generalization but I think most commercial recipes tend to be simpler than most homebrew recipes.drez if you happen to have a recipe that approximates DBA, you'll be my hero.

They talk about it here https://thebrewingne...k.com/shows/484

The re-brew they did was this recipe, deemed not cloned because the control beer they had was off/infected but they felt it would be cloned if they got a correct version of the commercial.

6 gallons post-boil

70% efficiency,

OG 1051IBUs 13SRM 13.13.8kg British Pale Malt 68.2%900g Marris Otter 16.2%390g light munich 7%340g crystal 75 6%110g crystal 120 2%30g chocolate malt 0.6%90 minute boil3g Magnum 14%AA at 75m18g EKG 5%AA at 30m22g EKG at 0m22g Styrian Goldings or US Fuggles or Willamete or German Tradition) at 0mWLP002Mash at 145F for 60m, 155F for 15m, then mash outCool to 63F and pitch, raise to 66F after 24 hours.1.4oz american oak cubes (medium or medium plus) after 24 hours of fermentation.

#14 MtnBrewer

MtnBrewer

Skynet Architect

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6695 posts
  • LocationThe Springs

Posted 13 September 2013 - 08:29 AM

:cabbagepatch:3g of Magnum? Or is that a typo?

Poptop, DBA is Double Barrel Ale from FW, more of an English style pale ale.

#15 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 13 September 2013 - 08:36 AM

:cabbagepatch:3g of Magnum? Or is that a typo?

Poptop, DBA is Double Barrel Ale from FW, more of an English style pale ale.

That is what the % comes out to when you follow what Matt Brynildson says.  I would up it a bit if it was me.  Matt talks about his reverse hopping scheme that they use at FW.  Basically they add a low amount of hops early and a lot at the end and get a fair amount of utilization from the whirlpool.  What is 3g of magnum, 4 pellets?

#16 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 13 September 2013 - 08:39 AM

the Munich and CaraPils together will have a similar effect

maybe for body but not flavor wise.

#17 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53927 posts

Posted 13 September 2013 - 08:42 AM

All of this begs the question as to why people add crystal to a beer, especially a pale ale.  Do people add crystal just because they want the color?  Do they add it for the flavor and carmelly notes you get?  Do they do it to lower mash pH, etc?  Is it because they just assume that a pale ale needs to be "amber"?  Is it to offset an aggressive use of hops?  I admit to using less and less crystal these days but also using a wider variety of crystal like C20 and C40 which I have not used much of in the past.

#18 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 13 September 2013 - 08:45 AM

My APA is pale malt and 10% C60.  Whatever hops I'm in the mood for that day, to about a .8:1 BU:GU ratio.

#19 cavman

cavman

Comptroller of BigPossMan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12937 posts
  • LocationSomerville, MA

Posted 13 September 2013 - 08:47 AM

There is a huge movement it seems to remove crystal form APA's and IPA's. 

And I agree with this movement.

#20 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 13 September 2013 - 08:47 AM

All of this begs the question as to why people add crystal to a beer, especially a pale ale.  Do people add crystal just because they want the color?  Do they add it for the flavor and carmelly notes you get?  Do they do it to lower mash pH, etc?  Is it because they just assume that a pale ale needs to be "amber"?  Is it to offset an aggressive use of hops?  I admit to using less and less crystal these days but also using a wider variety of crystal like C20 and C40 which I have not used much of in the past.

Good question.

For me I like to use the crystal for color first and then flavor second.  I do have the MO in my grain bill and that will lead to a bit of flavor and sweetness IMO.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users