#41 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 14 September 2013 - 09:17 AM

I don't quite get the anti-crystal trend.  i understand overuse is an issue and people's tastes will vary from wanting to use more/less but to go completely to none most of the time seems too far.  on the regular i'd miss the body and flavor that crystal brings.  it's one the things I enjoy about a lot of beers and it balances oh so nicely with lots of hops.

#42 Clintama

Clintama

No Life

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30244 posts
  • LocationRight Here

Posted 14 September 2013 - 09:42 AM

I've been buying various styles from Lagunitas. The Maximus (another thread) is absolutely delicious, as is their pale ale. The IPA was good, but not outstanding. If anyone has ever cloned the pale ale, please share your recipe.

#43 CarlosM

CarlosM

Señor Joykill

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12344 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 14 September 2013 - 11:04 AM

when I was brewing it was dead simple.

8# 2 row

1/3 of crystal 30

Magnum and cascade or amarillo depending on how I was feeling.

and always 1056.

damn I miss brewing. 

#44 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68757 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 14 September 2013 - 11:43 AM

when I was brewing it was dead simple.

8# 2 row

1/3 of crystal 30

Magnum and cascade or amarillo depending on how I was feeling.

and always 1056.

damn I miss brewing. 

remember our I-90 IPA collaboration?

12 lbs of 2-Row

1   lbs of C-40

whole bunch of Whole Ahtanum 

Chico yeast

#45 Clintama

Clintama

No Life

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30244 posts
  • LocationRight Here

Posted 14 September 2013 - 12:17 PM

I use C-10 and carapils in my APA. Because of my overnight mashing, my beer can become very dry and the crystal add some body to them.

#46 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68757 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 14 September 2013 - 12:31 PM

I use C-10 and carapils in my APA. Because of my overnight mashing, my beer can become very dry and the crystal add some body to them.

that's a pale Pale, I like a little more maillard flavor 

#47 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 14 September 2013 - 01:05 PM

that's a pale Pale, I like a little more maillard flavor 

+1.  I use crystal mainly for the flavor and way down the list is body.  But that's the great thing about having so many crystal options.  You can do a lot with it.

#48 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68757 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 14 September 2013 - 01:19 PM

+1.  I use crystal mainly for the flavor and way down the list is body.  But that's the great thing about having so many crystal options.  You can do a lot with it.

I am in love with European Crystals, though I still like GWs standard crystals well enough

#49 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 14 September 2013 - 01:40 PM

I am in love with European Crystals, though I still like GWs standard crystals well enough

Ya know, I haven't used much Euro crystal.  Thanks for mentioning it....I think I'll start messing around with it.  Now that you mention it, I wonder how many people who say they don't care for crystal have been using something like Briess crystal, which is usually made from  row, without knowing it?  And for that matter, I wonder how much difference 6 row makes for something like crystal?

#50 johnpreuss

johnpreuss

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1460 posts
  • LocationWay Up North Minnesota

Posted 14 September 2013 - 02:05 PM

I know I'm chiming in late here but I love my crystal malts in APAs and IPAs.  I would agree on the simplicity of 95% Pale/2row 5% C40-75.  I know there is a movement towards no crystal but the style is defined by SNBC's PA which has crystal in it and a healthy dose of it. 

Next thing people are going to say is Cascades don't belong in an APA. :frantic: :frantic: :frantic:

#51 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68757 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 14 September 2013 - 02:22 PM

I know I'm chiming in late here but I love my crystal malts in APAs and IPAs.  I would agree on the simplicity of 95% Pale/2row 5% C40-75.  I know there is a movement towards no crystal but the style is defined by SNBC's PA which has crystal in it and a healthy dose of it. 

Next thing people are going to say is Cascades don't belong in an APA. :frantic: :frantic: :frantic:

I know a couple cascade haterz

#52 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68757 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 14 September 2013 - 02:24 PM

Ya know, I haven't used much Euro crystal.  Thanks for mentioning it....I think I'll start messing around with it.  Now that you mention it, I wonder how many people who say they don't care for crystal have been using something like Briess crystal, which is usually made from  row, without knowing it?  And for that matter, I wonder how much difference 6 row makes for something like crystal?

I heart Cara Munich

#53 johnpreuss

johnpreuss

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1460 posts

Posted 14 September 2013 - 02:31 PM

I know a couple cascade haterz

:crazy:

take away they're beer drinker card!

#54 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 14 September 2013 - 02:43 PM

I heart Cara Munich

Yeah, I have some of that but only use it in a couple recipes.  Time to experiment!

#55 davelew

davelew

Comptroller of ACMSO That Are Not Beans

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19204 posts
  • LocationReading, Massachusetts

Posted 14 September 2013 - 06:42 PM

Ya know, I haven't used much Euro crystal.  Thanks for mentioning it....I think I'll start messing around with it.  

I use Weyermann's CaraAroma instead of C120 in SSOS and also in an all-citra AIPA I make, and like it a lot.  

While a lot of people seem to be switching to lower Lovibond crystal malts, I've tended towards smaller quantities of higher Lovibond crystal malts.

#56 johnpreuss

johnpreuss

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1460 posts

Posted 14 September 2013 - 07:26 PM

I use Weyermann's CaraAroma instead of C120 in SSOS and also in an all-citra AIPA I make, and like it a lot.  

While a lot of people seem to be switching to lower Lovibond crystal malts, I've tended towards smaller quantities of higher Lovibond crystal malts.

I have used 1/2lb of caravienna and 1/2lb of C120 with good success in both APA and AIPA.

#57 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 15 September 2013 - 03:51 AM

are some of you guys not considering euro crystals to be crystal?  i kind of lump it all together.  anything cara i think of as a sort of crystal.

#58 Clintama

Clintama

No Life

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30244 posts
  • LocationRight Here

Posted 15 September 2013 - 06:11 AM

I don't quite get the anti-crystal trend.  i understand overuse is an issue and people's tastes will vary from wanting to use more/less but to go completely to none most of the time seems too far.  on the regular i'd miss the body and flavor that crystal brings.  it's one the things I enjoy about a lot of beers and it balances oh so nicely with lots of hops.

I don't get it either. I've made a lot APA's and have tweaked the recipe many different ways. The carapils I use helps a lot. I got the idea from a guy who was once a commercial brewer.

#59 Clintama

Clintama

No Life

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30244 posts
  • LocationRight Here

Posted 15 September 2013 - 06:13 AM

I like a little more maillard flavor 

Do you ever pull some wort and do a boil down?

#60 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 15 September 2013 - 09:18 AM

Do you ever pull some wort and do a boil down?

To me, that's a totally different flavor than you get from crystal malt.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users