27 replies to this topic

#1 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53365 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 09:44 AM

I have seen variations of this and decided to make some myself.  I have 4 kinds of tomatoes along with jalapenos growing in the backyard so this was a good way to use them.  The molcajete (I believe) is the stone bowl and rock you see people use to make salsa or guacamole.  No molcajete is necessary for this one.

Take 1 jalapeno and 2 cloves of garlic and place them in a pan on the stove over medium heat.  No oil or anything else... just dry.  After 5-10 minutes the garlic will have some black spots on it and the pepper will be blistered.  Let them cool, take the stems off the chilis and cut everything up.  Throw a can of fire-roasted tomatoes (14.5 oz) into the blender along with the garlic and peppers & zip it up to your desired consistency.  I usually blend it pretty smooth.  Pour into a bowl and add fresh chopped cilantro to taste, the juice of half a lime (you want about 2tbsp of juice) and about 1 tsp of salt and stir it up.  Let it sit in the fridge for a bit and try it with good chips.  I have made three batches of this stuff over the past 3 days and everyone in the house is eating it.  You could easily use it on tacos, dress up some grilled fish, etc.  I had never seen the roasting of the garlic and peppers dry in a pan that way and I think it makes a nice difference in the salsa.  It's a very simple, classic & delicious salsa.  Want to make it hotter, use more peppers (or different peppers) and if you want to make more, just double everything.   Oh, and wash it down with some good beer.

Salud!

#2 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53365 posts

Posted 21 December 2016 - 09:06 AM

I've been making this salsa again over the past couple of months. The kids are all back for break and they have been wolfing it. It seems like the fire-roasted tomato brands are all a little different and the stuff I found that works best is called Signature Kitchens which could be a house brand for a local store herein Chicago (Jewel) which is owned by Albertson's so maybe it's something available elsewhere. The stuff I'm getting is Fire-Roasted tomatoes with garlic. I have also been using a pablano pepper and 4 cloves of garlic roasted in the pan as outlined above. I have also been putting some adobo sauce (from a can of chipotles) along with one of the chipotles. Chopped fresh cilantro, the juice of one key lime (there's a nice difference in the key limes) and maybe ¾ tsp of salt. Zip it up in a blender as chunky or fine as you like. Really, really good and fresh-tasting.

salsa2016.jpg

#3 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 24 December 2016 - 10:15 AM

sounds really good ken.  if I run out of garden salsa before we have maters again I may give this a try.  I like the idea of fire roasted maters.

have you tried any Persian limes?  I've found those to also be better than run of the mill "limes".

Edited by Evil_Morty, 24 December 2016 - 10:16 AM.

#4 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53365 posts

Posted 26 December 2016 - 08:15 AM

I've always heard that Persian limes are the limes we're used to... just your standard lime. The key limes are about half the size (or less) of a standard lime and they're round, not football-like. The other thing about salsa is how wildly creative you can get. You can make it as simple or as nutty as you like. There is no onion in this recipe although I consider onion to be one of the main ingredients of salsa. Sometimes I throw some in there but usually not. You can use different peppers in different amounts and come up with something completely different.

#5 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 26 December 2016 - 12:46 PM

I've always heard that Persian limes are the limes we're used to... just your standard lime. The key limes are about half the size (or less) of a standard lime and they're round, not football-like. The other thing about salsa is how wildly creative you can get. You can make it as simple or as nutty as you like. There is no onion in this recipe although I consider onion to be one of the main ingredients of salsa. Sometimes I throw some in there but usually not. You can use different peppers in different amounts and come up with something completely different.

not sure what I've been buying then.  I thought it said persian limes on the bag but they about 2/3 the size of a normal lime and contain way more juice per volume.

#6 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 26 December 2016 - 05:46 PM

My bad Ken. The ones I buy are key limes. My wife confirmed. My memory most be corrupted.

#7 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53365 posts

Posted 29 December 2016 - 09:28 AM

I think they're much better. I have a local grocery store that occasionally carries them by the bag. Sometimes I will go in there and they won't have them. I ask one of the guys and he tells me "People don't buy them so sometimes we won't carry them". The flavor of the key limes is much better than standard limes but most people just assume that limes are limes. If you're consistently getting key limes... YDIR.

#8 Augie1991

Augie1991

8 Lives

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23472 posts

Posted 30 December 2016 - 07:34 PM

sending to printer!!! we got jewel here too :)

#9 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53365 posts

Posted 02 January 2017 - 02:32 PM

sending to printer!!! we got jewel here too :)

I made this along with some guac on NYE. Gone. I have to make moar. :D

#10 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 12 July 2017 - 05:23 PM

Just realized... No onions in this?

#11 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53365 posts

Posted 12 July 2017 - 06:50 PM

Just realized... No onions in this?

I know... it seems like an abomination but the recipe does not have onions. That said, sometimes I put them in anyway. Try it straight up and just see what you think. The recipe "as is" is excellent. Then add some onion and see what you think.

#12 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 13 July 2017 - 03:40 AM

I know... it seems like an abomination but the recipe does not have onions. That said, sometimes I put them in anyway. Try it straight up and just see what you think. The recipe "as is" is excellent. Then add some onion and see what you think.

should I go for version number 2 with the chipotle in adobo or version number 1?

#13 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53365 posts

Posted 13 July 2017 - 06:30 AM

should I go for version number 2 with the chipotle in adobo or version number 1?

Try the original version first. It's excellent in its simplicity and I still remember the first I made it and exclaimed OH FECKING RIGHT! after tasting it. After that, feel free to go in whatever direction you like... onion, adobo sauce, chipotles, cumin, scrambled eggs, whatever. :D

#14 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 13 July 2017 - 06:37 AM

Try the original version first. It's excellent in its simplicity and I still remember the first I made it and exclaimed OH FECKING RIGHT! after tasting it. After that, feel free to go in whatever direction you like... onion, adobo sauce, chipotles, cumin, scrambled eggs, whatever. :D

sounds good.  do you just use a SS pan?  cast iron?

my plan is to get a few cans of the tomatoes and make this for my lunches next week :D

#15 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53365 posts

Posted 13 July 2017 - 06:50 AM

Bayless used a non-stick pan which I have tried and I've also used a big cast iron and it seems that they both come in right around the same place so take your pick.

#16 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 14 July 2017 - 06:21 AM

okay.  i acquired the goods.  I saw that muir glenn (organic) had big cans of fire roasted tomatoes that were only slightly more expensive than hunts per pound so I figured why not?

I also bought a can of goya chipotles in adobo in case I want to add some of that on round two (bought 2 big cans of toms).

bought a few large jalepenos and a head of garlic.  seems like I have all that I need (cilantro is in the garden).

#17 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53365 posts

Posted 14 July 2017 - 06:31 AM

That Muir Glen is a little different than the stuff I usually use. It's not bad but the consistency is a little finer as opposed to chunkier. It's all going in the blender anyway so I suppose it's all good. If you make this from time to time and use different brands of fire-roasted tomatoes, you'll eventually find a favorite. Some are sweeter, some saltier, some where the flavor just pops more. Good luck and make sure to get good chips too... no Tostitos! :D

#18 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 14 July 2017 - 06:36 AM

That Muir Glen is a little different than the stuff I usually use. It's not bad but the consistency is a little finer as opposed to chunkier. It's all going in the blender anyway so I suppose it's all good. If you make this from time to time and use different brands of fire-roasted tomatoes, you'll eventually find a favorite. Some are sweeter, some saltier, some where the flavor just pops more. Good luck and make sure to get good chips too... no Tostitos! :D

I only had a few options at my regular grocery store.

rotel with jalepenos

muir glenn (with and without salt)

hunts (with and without garlic)

pastene (can't remember if this had anything else added but was a little pricier than muir glenn)

one last question - do you take the paper off the garlic cloves before or after toasting them?

#19 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53365 posts

Posted 14 July 2017 - 06:54 AM

I only had a few options at my regular grocery store.

rotel with jalepenos
muir glenn (with and without salt)
hunts (with and without garlic)
pastene (can't remember if this had anything else added but was a little pricier than muir glenn)

one last question - do you take the paper off the garlic cloves before or after toasting them?

After. Leave the papery skin on there and roast away. Peel it off when you're done... it usually just falls off.

#20 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 14 July 2017 - 08:29 AM

After. Leave the papery skin on there and roast away. Peel it off when you're done... it usually just falls off.

glad I asked!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users