27 replies to this topic

#21 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53365 posts

Posted 14 July 2017 - 10:23 AM

I have learned that salsa is really hard to mess up. You can get as creative as you like. I have smoked tomatoes on the grill and added that. I have put tomatoes, peppers and onions in the oven and roasted them and then blended them, added cilantro, lime juice and salt, etc. Just have fun with it. Start with the core recipe and see how you like it... it's really good by itself. But then there are so many things you can do. A lot of people like to use green chiles to get heat but I like the adobo sauce and/or chipotles so I can get that smoky thing going.

#22 Felix Furbush

Felix Furbush

Comptroller of King Richard V

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 42893 posts
  • LocationCamarillo, CA

Posted 14 July 2017 - 01:51 PM

Also if you use tomatillos in your recipe, leave the "lanterns" on too, when you grill them

Edited by Moonie Mc Moonface, 14 July 2017 - 01:51 PM.

#23 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 15 July 2017 - 09:05 AM

so the salsa is decent.  better than canned salsa from the store but it's hard to compete with fresh tomatoes I think.  maybe it's the muir glenn?  I figured they would be good.  I seem to remember them getting good reviews from ATK for other canned tomatoes or maybe tomato paste.

#24 Stains_not_here_man

Stains_not_here_man

Phat O'Mic Chef Winner!

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 111243 posts

Posted 15 July 2017 - 10:17 AM

Made some of this last night. I ended up adding some sweated onions as well. Is good.

#25 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53365 posts

Posted 15 July 2017 - 10:27 AM

so the salsa is decent.  better than canned salsa from the store but it's hard to compete with fresh tomatoes I think.  maybe it's the muir glenn?  I figured they would be good.  I seem to remember them getting good reviews from ATK for other canned tomatoes or maybe tomato paste.

The tomatoes I have been getting are called Signature Kitchens or something. They're very good and seem to have a really good flavor to them. Other brands, not so much and I didn't care for the salsa I made with the Muir Glen.

Made some of this last night. I ended up adding some sweated onions as well. Is good.

Good call on the onions. I think I read somewhere that the four basic salsa ingredients are tomatoes, chiles, onions and cilantro (or is it lime?). Anyway, for there to be no onions in this recipe seems weird but I think it's good without them. That said, I sometimes add some chopped Vidalia to the blender.

#26 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 15 July 2017 - 11:07 AM

the lack of onions is not unique to this recipe it seems.

#27 Stains_not_here_man

Stains_not_here_man

Phat O'Mic Chef Winner!

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 111243 posts

Posted 25 March 2019 - 03:48 PM

So I made this again today on a whim. Yesterday I was at Whole Foods and got some really nice Roma tomatoes so I decided to make it with fresh instead of canned.

I also added a serrano pepper to the mix to add a little more heat as the jalapenos I am getting are pretty mild.

Otherwise I made it as described, without onion.

It came out pretty watery so I put it over a strainer and strained out a little over a cup of juice. The juice has a little kick to it and a lot of tomato flavor so I'm going to use it for something else (stay tuned to this forum!)

Meanwhile the salsa itself is looking really good. I didn't blend it too fine so there are visible chunks of peppers and garlic. It tasted pretty good and I'm letting it meld in the fridge overnight, I expect it to be really tasty tomorrow :cheers:

#28 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 26 March 2019 - 04:13 AM

It came out pretty watery so I put it over a strainer and strained out a little over a cup of juice. The juice has a little kick to it and a lot of tomato flavor so I'm going to use it for something else (stay tuned to this forum!)

rice.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users