Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts
  • LocationCoconut Creek, FL

Posted 25 November 2013 - 08:16 AM

Hi Folks,

Anyone have a nice Alt recipe they'd care to share and comment on?  Think I would use WLP036 and attempt to use up some of the Munich I have on hand.  All I need is the Pils.  Thoughts?  Musings?  Tom Foolery?

Thanks, Mike

#2 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 25 November 2013 - 10:13 AM

First thing I'll tell you is forget the 036 and use WY1007.  Makes a world of difference.

I've won more ribbons with this one than any other recipe I've come up with....ferment about 55F if possible, lager as close to 35F as you can get for a couple mionths.

https://wiki.homebre...on.org/MilosAlt

#3 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts

Posted 25 November 2013 - 11:18 AM

Thanks Denny.  I'd say that's one heck of a Munich bill and just what I was looking for. 

Question; does this fall into category (BJCP)?  I ask because they suggest some Munich.  However I am not trying to adhere to style, I was just wondering since you've won awards with this one...

#4 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

Grand Duke of Inappropriate Announcements

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts
  • LocationKnee deep in business plans

Posted 25 November 2013 - 02:20 PM

I'd say since it's mashed at 150 and higher IBU it's closer to a duss alt if it comes out dry. Call it a nothern if you don't get the attenuation and you get some residual sweetness.

#5 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 25 November 2013 - 02:20 PM

It does, but mainly because most judges have never had a real alt!  It's more like a hopped up version of Alaskan Amber (which I hate, but claims to be an alt).  The main thing with it is to make sure it's very dry to balance out the Munich.

BTW, it was originally brewed as a tribute to my cat, Milo, a huge gray and white bundle of love.

#6 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts

Posted 25 November 2013 - 02:27 PM

Do they use am ale yeast in the amber? 

#7 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 25 November 2013 - 03:01 PM

Do they use am ale yeast in the amber? 

Yeah, I think so.  One of the alts I won an award for used 1056 and was made as a starter for a BW!  The real key it to keep it crisp.  To do that, you need to ferment in the mid 50s or so.  036 doesn't like that, which is one of the reasons I prefer 1007.  BTW, 1056 will ferment in the mid-upper 60s, too.

#8 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts

Posted 25 November 2013 - 03:23 PM

Yeah, I think so.  One of the alts I won an award for used 1056 and was made as a starter for a BW!  The real key it to keep it crisp.  To do that, you need to ferment in the mid 50s or so.  036 doesn't like that, which is one of the reasons I prefer 1007.  BTW, 1056 will ferment in the mid-upper 60s, too.

Well, duh! I think you meant 50's. I used WLP036 on my last one, but I haven't tried it yet and it was pre nuking (any contamination) the brewery so who knows if it will taste good anyway.

#9 dmtaylor

dmtaylor

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 325 posts
  • LocationTwo Rivers, WI

Posted 25 November 2013 - 04:22 PM

I recently read that the relatively new Safale K-97 might be the same or very similar to 1007.  I'm curious if anyone has tried the K-97.  I might give it a shot for my altbier recipe.  I've never made an alt before but I've designed a recipe for use in spring 2014.  It is pilsner malt based with 14% Munich, 4% CaraMunich, 5% rye malt, 1% Carafa II, and 1% roasted wheat, with both Hallertauer and Spalt for bittering and a hint of flavor.  Will call it Zweiflusser Alt in honor of the small Wisconsin town in which I live.

#10 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 25 November 2013 - 04:45 PM

First thing I'll tell you is forget the 036 and use WY1007.  Makes a world of difference.

I've won more ribbons with this one than any other recipe I've come up with....ferment about 55F if possible, lager as close to 35F as you can get for a couple mionths.

https://wiki.homebre...on.org/MilosAlt

i'd leave out the sinimar and just drink it in the dark :lol:

#11 djinkc

djinkc

Comptroller of Non-Defending Defenders of Inarticulate Twats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts
  • Locationout the backdoor

Posted 25 November 2013 - 05:20 PM

This was brewed at the end of last year.  Won first round nationals in KC.  Did nothing second round.  I usually brew some variation of this now.  Usually Spalt but not this time.

Canada Malting Pils  53.3%

Canada Malting Munich 40%

Melanoidin 5.6%

Dehusked Carafa 1.1%

Mashed 146df 90 minutes

75 minute boil

Magnum 24 AAUs 60 min

Hallertau Mittelfruh 12 AAUs 30 min

Hallertau Mittelfruh 6 AAUs 15 minutes

Fermented at 62df

1.061 OG

61 IBUs

#12 Brauer

Brauer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1857 posts
  • Location1 mile north of Boston

Posted 26 November 2013 - 04:16 AM

Thanks Denny.  I'd say that's one heck of a Munich bill and just what I was looking for. 

Question; does this fall into category (BJCP)?  I ask because they suggest some Munich.  However I am not trying to adhere to style, I was just wondering since you've won awards with this one...

Those recipes look great, and I've made similar beers, but they are up over the OG of a Sticke Alt (which would be closer to 1.055).  I can see why Denny might have trouble drying such a big beer out to the proper finish for an Alt.  Beers like that probably do pretty good in competition, though, because they look delicious.

I much prefer a standard Duesseldorf Alt to a Sticke Alt, which means keeping the OG to 1.048 and getting it to finish at 1.010 or less.  At that OG, I've been able to get the beer dry enough with 1007, 036, and 011.  1007 does have the best flavor profile, but it drops out very slowly.  I've made very nice Alts with the other 2 and they are much better behaved yeasts, so I usually go with one of them.

I usually make something closer to dmtaylor's recipe, without the rye and about half the caramunich (though it is very good, maybe better, without any caramunich).  However, I've had really nice North German Alts made with up around 50-70% Munich.

#13 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 26 November 2013 - 10:09 AM

Well, duh! I think you meant 50's. I used WLP036 on my last one, but I haven't tried it yet and it was pre nuking (any contamination) the brewery so who knows if it will taste good anyway.

Yep, I sure did!  Thanks for the correction.

#14 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 26 November 2013 - 10:10 AM

I recently read that the relatively new Safale K-97 might be the same or very similar to 1007.  I'm curious if anyone has tried the K-97.  I might give it a shot for my altbier recipe.  I've never made an alt before but I've designed a recipe for use in spring 2014.  It is pilsner malt based with 14% Munich, 4% CaraMunich, 5% rye malt, 1% Carafa II, and 1% roasted wheat, with both Hallertauer and Spalt for bittering and a hint of flavor.  Will call it Zweiflusser Alt in honor of the small Wisconsin town in which I live.

I'd heard that, too, Dave.  When I tried it, it didn't seem a lot like 1007.  More estery IIRC.  It was a few years back.

#15 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 26 November 2013 - 10:12 AM

FWIW, here's the recipe for Zum Uerige (which I consider to be the best alt in the world) direct from the brewmaster.  Note that there's no Munich malt at all....

This is from an issue of New Brewer.  There's an article on mastering altbier by none other than Dr. Frank Hebmuller, who is the brew master and executive brewer at Zum Uerige. Here's what he says... Water can be relatively hard with a high carbonate level.  Malt is based on well modified pils, with a bit of caramel malt and a bit of "chocolate roasted wheat malt". Mash schedule has rests at 125, 144, 158, and 169 (mashout). Boil time is 60-70 min. Mittelfruh, Perle, or Spalt are the preferred hops. Aroma hop addition is about 25% of the total hop amount. Add aroma hops no earlier than 20 min. before flameout. OG is 1.044-1.052. Primary between 59-68F. Secondary at 50F. Then condition at 32F for 14 days. FG should be 1.008-1.014. 4.3-5.5% ABV Here's the recipe he gives for 5 gal. .... 5.9 lb. Pils malt .15 lb. Caramel malt (e.g. Weyermann Caramunich) 1.34 oz. Chocolate Roasted malt (e.g. weyermann Carafa Spezial Type 1) .7 oz. Hallertau Mittlefruh - 6.5% - 60 min. .46 oz. Perele - 7.5% - 60 min. 1.11 oz. Spalt - 5% - 20 min.

#16 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts

Posted 26 November 2013 - 10:23 AM

Damn, it's nice to know my alt recipe is very close to that and others that have turned out well. Makes me feel like I know my malts!

#17 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 26 November 2013 - 04:47 PM

FWIW, here's the recipe for Zum Uerige (which I consider to be the best alt in the world) direct from the brewmaster.  Note that there's no Munich malt at all....

This is from an issue of New Brewer.  There's an article on mastering altbier by none other than Dr. Frank Hebmuller, who is the brew master and executive brewer at Zum Uerige. Here's what he says... Water can be relatively hard with a high carbonate level.  Malt is based on well modified pils, with a bit of caramel malt and a bit of "chocolate roasted wheat malt". Mash schedule has rests at 125, 144, 158, and 169 (mashout). Boil time is 60-70 min. Mittelfruh, Perle, or Spalt are the preferred hops. Aroma hop addition is about 25% of the total hop amount. Add aroma hops no earlier than 20 min. before flameout. OG is 1.044-1.052. Primary between 59-68F. Secondary at 50F. Then condition at 32F for 14 days. FG should be 1.008-1.014. 4.3-5.5% ABV Here's the recipe he gives for 5 gal. .... 5.9 lb. Pils malt .15 lb. Caramel malt (e.g. Weyermann Caramunich) 1.34 oz. Chocolate Roasted malt (e.g. weyermann Carafa Spezial Type 1) .7 oz. Hallertau Mittlefruh - 6.5% - 60 min. .46 oz. Perele - 7.5% - 60 min. 1.11 oz. Spalt - 5% - 20 min.

sounds like we should be using chocolate wheat.

#18 Brauer

Brauer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1857 posts
  • Location1 mile north of Boston

Posted 26 November 2013 - 06:49 PM

sounds like we should be using chocolate wheat.

It works great for an Alt.

#19 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts

Posted 19 August 2014 - 12:31 PM

In a pinch, would US 05 work for an Alt?

#20 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68757 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 19 August 2014 - 12:40 PM

IMO yes, Denny's not a fan of it though ;)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users