#41 gnef

gnef

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2533 posts
  • LocationAtlanta

Posted 19 November 2015 - 05:56 PM

I use bev seal ultra, but a different size than what you will be getting. I would highly recommend getting the John Guest shank fittings as well as the quick disconnect fittings. They are amazingly easy to work with, just a bit pricey. Amazon sells them in bags of 10, roughly $40 for the shank fittings, and $20 for the quick disconnect fittings.

I just finished updating all my faucets over to the 650ss faucet to unify, as well as to increase restriction dynamically as needed. I am using 1/4" ID bev seal, which has a restriction a fraction of normal line, and I didn't want to use 50 ft per line, which required me to use the 650ss faucets.

With the 3/16" ID line, I would personally recommend starting with more line if using non flow control faucets. When I had PVC lines, I used 10 ft of line per faucet to balance as I desired with regular faucets. Using the same mentality, I would probably start with 20 ft of the 3/16" ID bev seal ultra. 

If you decide to go with the 650ss faucets though, the line length doesn't really matter. I even built direct keg serving setups using the 650ss faucets, and can pour directly from the keg.

The tubing is considered semi-rigid, and really was designed to use with the John Guest fittings. For me, the reason I went with the 1/4" ID was because I had already been standardizing to 3/8" OD tubing and John Guest fittings for that, and didn't want to rebuy all those fittings, so I needed to go with the 3/8" OD Bev seal which had 1/4" ID. It clicks into place nicely, and is very quick and easy to use.

If you balance the lines properly, you don't need the 650ss faucets, and I would probably go with the new ventmatics which are about the same cost as the 650ss faucets.

Show some pictures when you are done!

#42 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18047 posts

Posted 20 November 2015 - 06:26 AM

If you want to start a bit cheaper I have used this with success.  For the $0.13 per foot it is pretty cheap.

https://www.amazon.c...arch_detailpage

#43 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16523 posts

Posted 20 November 2015 - 08:56 AM

Right now I am thinking I will go with the Vent-Matics. Looks like they are out of stock right now. I could go cheaper on the lines but really I just want to do this thing up right the first time. I only want to build and feck with his thing one time. Probably dreaming though.

#44 gnef

gnef

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2533 posts
  • LocationAtlanta

Posted 20 November 2015 - 09:43 AM

it looks like they have the all polished one in stock: https://www.vent-mat...17-88adf8284543

I am also a fan of doing things right the first time around. I didn't do that for some things, and always regretted it, and ended up buying things two or three times. This of course depends on funds though.

#45 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18047 posts

Posted 20 November 2015 - 10:11 AM

it looks like they have the all polished one in stock: https://www.vent-mat...17-88adf8284543

I am also a fan of doing things right the first time around. I didn't do that for some things, and always regretted it, and ended up buying things two or three times. This of course depends on funds though.

I just want to say there is nothing wrong with using regular beverage hose.  It would even be considered the right way by most.

#46 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16523 posts

Posted 20 November 2015 - 10:29 AM

I just want to say there is nothing wrong with using regular beverage hose.  It would even be considered the right way by most.

Why? What do you mean the "right" way? You trying to talk me out of the bevseal stuff? Im pretty ignorant about all this stuff.

ETA: What the hell is going on with the formatting on all my posts? Anyone else getting this?

Edited by neddles, 20 November 2015 - 10:30 AM.

#47 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18047 posts

Posted 20 November 2015 - 10:37 AM

Why? What do you mean the "right" way? You trying to talk me out of the bevseal stuff? Im pretty ignorant about all this stuff.

ETA: What the hell is going on with the formatting on all my posts? Anyone else getting this?

Not trying to talk you out of it.  I am installing it too since I found I had bought it and forgot about it.  I just did not want it to be though of that regular beer hose is bad.  Before the bev-seal was out there PVC tubing was all that was easily available and the same stuff you will find in most bars I imagine.  It just requires more cleaning and eventually replacment.

#48 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16523 posts

Posted 20 November 2015 - 10:40 AM

Not trying to talk you out of it.  I am installing it too since I found I had bought it and forgot about it.  I just did not want it to be though of that regular beer hose is bad.  Before the bev-seal was out there PVC tubing was all that was easily available and the same stuff you will find in most bars I imagine.  It just requires more cleaning and eventually replacment.

Got it. I have less cleaning and good beer on my mind. My time is definitely worth some $$ these days so I'll spend extra if it means less hassle.

#49 gnef

gnef

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2533 posts
  • LocationAtlanta

Posted 20 November 2015 - 03:32 PM

Yes, PVC is what we all used because that was really all that was readily available to us in convenient lengths and reasonable costs. I really consider bev seal ultra to be the turning point in that though. The cost isn't that much greater, and with regular maintenance, I consider it to be a lifetime tubing. It doesn't impart a plastic taint (which I could taste on new and old lines, requiring me to throw away the first couple ounces of a pour), and it doesn't absorb flavors so you can put on a soda, then beer, switch to something else, etc. 

I wouldn't say that PVC line is bad, per se, but it really only wins in a couple categories: it is cheaper (though bev 200 is close per foot, I think, but still cheaper considering total line length for proper resistance), and if you need the physical flexibility of the PVC line where the semi rigidness of the bev seal ultra makes it impossible to use.

I used PVC for about 10 years, and only this year switched over to bev seal ultra, and I still have some PVC line on one regulator, and on all of my jockey boxes. That will soon change once I decide not to be lazy, as I already have another 200 ft of the line or so on hand.

Also, not having to use clamps is great. I really disliked worm drive clamps, and oetiker clamps were always a pain to take off and work with. Almost all of my fittings now have been converted over to John Guest, and it has been worth it, at least for me (though quite expensive considering how many fittings I have, which is why it has taken years to gradually do the conversion, and I am still not done yet).

#50 porter

porter

Comptroller of Affairs with Potatoes

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19000 posts
  • LocationColorado Springs, CO

Posted 22 November 2015 - 07:56 PM

I serve out of a mini-fridge that holds 2 corny kegs. I have a tower and proper taps/handles. Sometimes I wish I'd gone the keezer route, but I didn't have the space at the time. When the mini-fridge eventually dies I'll address the tap situation. Ideally I'd like to have 4-6 taps. It'd be nice to work on something big like an imperial stout or a cyser slowly instead of feeling like I have to get through it before a pale ale or something loses its freshness. 

#51 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16523 posts

Posted 23 November 2015 - 03:39 PM

OK, so tell me about shanks. Are they all the same? I read somewhere that it was advantageous to buy the longer shanks because of the inceased thermal mass helping to keep the faucets cold. Any truth there? If not how, long should they be? I am going to get the Ventmatc faucets but the ventmatic shanks have no nipples, not sure how to connect it otherwise. Any thoughts here are appreciated.

#52 gnef

gnef

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2533 posts
  • LocationAtlanta

Posted 26 November 2015 - 01:08 PM

I think the standard length shanks will be fine for you. Yes, you will most likely get some temperature stratification, but you can try using a small fan to recirculate, as well as use insulation on the collar.

I wouldn't go too long, because they can get in the way.

Since the shanks have no nipple, that is a great opportunity to use the John Guest fittings. If you are using the 3/16" ID x 5/16" OD, make sure you get the right fittings. The shanks are a 5/8" BSPP threading. There are a number of online homebrew shops that sell them, you can also find them on Amazon in 10 packs.

#53 gnef

gnef

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2533 posts
  • LocationAtlanta

Posted 26 November 2015 - 01:14 PM

Here is the first link I could find for you: https://www.farmhous...ush-to-connect/

I am sure there are others out there, but I couldn't find them on Amzon (they only had the 3/8" OD tube one that I use)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users