#61 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64054 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 24 March 2015 - 04:40 PM

I took a piece of 1/4" stainless tubing, cut it along its length about 2", split it in half and hammered the two halves flat.  I had a lab stirrer motor i got from the trash bin at work.  It has a drill chuck mounted on the shaft for easy changing of stirrers.

For this project I bought a 12VDC 85 RPM gear motor to stir the HLT.  I'll just need to make a shaft coupling and a stirrer.  Not a big deal.

I am still debating whether to just recirc to keep the temp even.

Edited by JKor, 24 March 2015 - 04:42 PM.

#62 djinkc

djinkc

Comptroller of Non-Defending Defenders of Inarticulate Twats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts
  • Locationout the backdoor

Posted 24 March 2015 - 05:30 PM

I took a piece of 1/4" stainless tubing, cut it along its length about 2", split it in half and hammered the two halves flat.  I had a lab stirrer motor i got from the trash bin at work.  It has a drill chuck mounted on the shaft for easy changing of stirrers.

For this project I bought a 12VDC 85 RPM gear motor to stir the HLT.  I'll just need to make a shaft coupling and a stirrer.  Not a big deal.

I am still debating whether to just recirc to keep the temp even.

Basically what I did but with 1/2" copper tubing parts that were laying around.  When it's a EHLT I only stir a bit before mashing in/sparging to equalize the temperature.  The motor is mounted on the lid, along with 25' of coil so it can double as an EHERMS when needed.  And the use again as a post chiller dropped in a bucket of ice for summer ground water.  Half of the stirrer shaft is JB welded to the motor shaft.  The rest is friction fitted (tapped with a hammer).  I can take off the bulk of the stirrer for the post chiller - and use a cheapo pump to move water since the ice can bind up the stirrer.

#63 zymot

zymot

Comptroller of Small Amounts of Money

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25586 posts
  • LocationMortville

Posted 24 March 2015 - 05:59 PM

I do not need heroic amounts of mechanical motion nor do I need much power. A constant agitation of 6 gallons of 175 deg water will do it.

Doing some research, there is a new fad in cooking, sous vide. It involves slow cooking and hot water. There are food grade pumps that are rated for boil temps. They run in the $15.00 range. That shows potential for a nice simple solution.

The aquarium pump is another potential solution. 

#64 BlKtRe

BlKtRe

Comptroller of le Shartes

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16517 posts
  • LocationThe Land of Oz

Posted 24 March 2015 - 06:25 PM

I just use my current pump and added a return to the HLT pumped in a loop. No extra motor unless its cheaper to buy it vs using a pump. 

#65 djinkc

djinkc

Comptroller of Non-Defending Defenders of Inarticulate Twats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts
  • Locationout the backdoor

Posted 24 March 2015 - 06:47 PM

I do not need heroic amounts of mechanical motion nor do I need much power. A constant agitation of 6 gallons of 175 deg water will do it.

Doing some research, there is a new fad in cooking, sous vide. It involves slow cooking and hot water. There are food grade pumps that are rated for boil temps. They run in the $15.00 range. That shows potential for a nice simple solution.

My DIY SV uses a cheapo coffee maker pump.  

#66 zymot

zymot

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25586 posts
  • LocationMortville

Posted 24 March 2015 - 06:51 PM

I just use my current pump and added a return to the HLT pumped in a loop. No extra motor unless its cheaper to buy it vs using a pump. 

I will be using pump #1 to pump wort through the HERMS coil.  I do not "need" a second pump. Since I will never pump through my HERMS and pump through the chiller at the same time, I am a couple quick disconnects away from "needing" a single pump.

If the cost of my HLT agitator design is close to the cost of a pump, might as well buy a second pump. If I can get a $20 12 VDC submersible to do the job, then that is the way I will want to go. Down the road, if I am dying for a second pump, I can get one.

#67 BlKtRe

BlKtRe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16517 posts
  • LocationThe Land of Oz

Posted 24 March 2015 - 06:55 PM

I brew on a single plane so I need two pumps. 

#68 zymot

zymot

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25586 posts
  • LocationMortville

Posted 24 March 2015 - 07:03 PM

I brew on a single plane so I need two pumps. 

Do you run two pumps at the same time? I plan on using gravity to go from my HLT to MT. Pump From MT through HERMS. Then pump from boil kettle through plate chiller.

I do not see using two pumps at the same time. Certainly two pumps would make plumbing more convenient over swapping out hoses and quick disconnects..

#69 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64054 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 24 March 2015 - 08:21 PM

Here you go:

https://www.ebay.com...ter pump&_frs=1

#70 zymot

zymot

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25586 posts
  • LocationMortville

Posted 25 March 2015 - 03:03 AM

Here you go:https://www.ebay.com...ter pump&_frs=1

Thanks. That is what I am looking for. I can check one more thing off my list.

#71 matt6150

matt6150

Moderately Accelerated Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10549 posts
  • LocationMooresville, NC

Posted 25 March 2015 - 04:01 AM

Do you run two pumps at the same time? I plan on using gravity to go from my HLT to MT. Pump From MT through HERMS. Then pump from boil kettle through plate chiller.I do not see using two pumps at the same time. Certainly two pumps would make plumbing more convenient over swapping out hoses and quick disconnects..

Yes, I use 2 pumps at the same time. One pump is pumping from MT through HERMS and the other is recirculating the water in the HLT/HERMS so the temp remains even. Hell I'm considering adding a 3rd pump so I can do back to back batches easier.

#72 zymot

zymot

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25586 posts
  • LocationMortville

Posted 25 March 2015 - 04:24 AM

Yes, I use 2 pumps at the same time. One pump is pumping from MT through HERMS and the other is recirculating the water in the HLT/HERMS so the temp remains even. Hell I'm considering adding a 3rd pump so I can do back to back batches easier.

Looks like I will end up using two pumps as well. My #2 pump will be a little low volume like Jkor linked. My empirical knowledge from using an immersion chiller tells me that is all I need.If you are using a March or Chugger pump to recirculate water in your HERMs, try one of those small $25 pumps and move Pump #2 over to heavy duty application.Of course you can report back and let me know how well it works and save me some troubles.   :D  TIA

#73 BlKtRe

BlKtRe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16517 posts
  • LocationThe Land of Oz

Posted 25 March 2015 - 04:48 AM

Only time I'm running both at the same time is when I'm fly sparging. I use one to recirc the HLT, the other for the RIMS (which run independent) then both for sparging then finally one for chilling.

Edited by BlKtRe, 25 March 2015 - 04:51 AM.

#74 ChicagoWaterGuy

ChicagoWaterGuy

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3234 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 25 March 2015 - 05:04 AM

My DIY SV uses a cheapo coffee maker pump.  

I'd like to see a pic of that if you have one.

#75 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64054 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 25 March 2015 - 07:41 AM

Looks like I will end up using two pumps as well. My #2 pump will be a little low volume like Jkor linked. My empirical knowledge from using an immersion chiller tells me that is all I need.If you are using a March or Chugger pump to recirculate water in your HERMs, try one of those small $25 pumps and move Pump #2 over to heavy duty application.Of course you can report back and let me know how well it works and save me some troubles.   :D  TIA

that pump will be plenty to keep the HLT even.

#76 matt6150

matt6150

Moderately Accelerated Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10549 posts
  • LocationMooresville, NC

Posted 25 March 2015 - 09:09 AM

that pump will be plenty to keep the HLT even.

12VDC though, not a big deal but K would then need a power supply in my system.

#77 zymot

zymot

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25586 posts
  • LocationMortville

Posted 25 March 2015 - 09:20 AM

My system uses 12 VDC solenoid valves, relays, etc. I will have 12 VDC to spare. Adding a switch to my control panel, using up a relay and a 12 VDC connector is a piece of cake.

#78 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64054 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 25 March 2015 - 12:45 PM

Get u sum 12VDC!

#79 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64054 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 27 March 2015 - 03:54 PM

I got my windshield wiper motor today.  Impressive little beast.  I was expecting it to be bigger based on the specs.  I was a little worried it might overhang the edge of the 20qt pot or maybe even put it a little off balance and make it tippy when empty, but I don't think that will be the case.

httpss://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/50235694/2015-03-27%2018.51.20.jpg

#80 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64054 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 31 March 2015 - 06:06 PM

I found this the other day.

https://www.atlas-sc...its/ezo_ph.html

It takes input from a standard pH probe and converts the pH value to ASCII for feeding over serial.

IOW, I'll be adding continuous mash pH monitoring to my system.  :D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users