#1 BlKtRe

BlKtRe

Comptroller of le Shartes

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16489 posts
  • LocationThe Land of Oz

Posted 07 March 2014 - 01:09 PM

I want to thank a few guys. First Drez for inspiring me to go get off my lazy arse and join the all electric crowd. He also answered lots of questions. And Matt. Pages and I'm sure more pages of pictures and detailed instructions guiding me to what I wanted in an electric build then getting me to the point where I have a grasp on this stuff. He also provided me with an 12x14x7 enclosure. So here is what I'm building. Any questions on my planned process's and what you see ask away...

240v 50amp back to back 20g system (future proof to 25g)

Three 25g SS vessels

Dual pumps (single plane)

Two 5500w elements (HLT, BK)

One 120v 2500w RIMS

Mash/Hop timer

HLT PID/Timer for pre setting hot strike water

I'm ready for paint and wiring. Missing in the pics are three 40amp SSR's.

Outside panel......

Posted Image

Power in will come up the right hand side. 

Posted Image

#2 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18047 posts

Posted 07 March 2014 - 01:19 PM

Nice!  I was going to message you to see how this is coming.  Looks like it is moving right along.

#3 BlKtRe

BlKtRe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16489 posts
  • LocationThe Land of Oz

Posted 07 March 2014 - 01:24 PM

Nice!  I was going to message you to see how this is coming.  Looks like it is moving right along.

Yea, weather next week looks like it will be warm enough to spray paint. Planning a very dark grey with a hint of flake. 

#4 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18047 posts

Posted 07 March 2014 - 01:28 PM

Yea, weather next week looks like it will be warm enough to spray paint. Planning a very dark grey with a hint of flake. 

Sweet.  I used black hammered on mine for the outside and white epoxy on the inside.

Have you decided how you are going to label the switches and buttons?

#5 bigdaddyale

bigdaddyale

Linkbot

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9528 posts
  • LocationCurrent: New Homoco, Texas. Past : Lugner Island

Posted 07 March 2014 - 01:41 PM

Sweet.  I used black hammered on mine for the outside and white epoxy on the inside.

https://imgur.com/a/dCvS5

#6 BlKtRe

BlKtRe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16489 posts
  • LocationThe Land of Oz

Posted 07 March 2014 - 01:51 PM

Ryan at Ebrew has some tags and is making a special one for me that says "Element Select Kettle OFF RIMS. The Kettle and RIMS will be on a 3 way switch and the HLT will be on its own switch.  I'm labeling things with a label maker to mark parts on the inside of the box. 

Probably wont do this on my kettles or control box. Im a little nervous about it. What I do plan on doing is using this technique on a piece of SS to mark volume for my BK and hang it off the lip of the kettle. I feel much better about messing up a scrap piece of SS vs a expensive vessel. 

#7 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18047 posts

Posted 07 March 2014 - 02:01 PM

Ryan at Ebrew has some tags and is making a special one for me that says "Element Select Kettle OFF RIMS. The Kettle and RIMS will be on a 3 way switch and the HLT will be on its own switch.  I'm labeling things with a label maker to mark parts on the inside of the box. 

I got ya.  I was able to find a place in NH that did all my tags for a very reasonable price.  Cheaper than the place across the street from my office.   Inside I used a label maker to label some of it.  The rest is stuck in my head.

#8 djinkc

djinkc

Comptroller of Non-Defending Defenders of Inarticulate Twats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts
  • Locationout the backdoor

Posted 07 March 2014 - 03:42 PM

Nice!  But you really need an electric bell.  B)

#9 matt6150

matt6150

Moderately Accelerated Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10544 posts
  • LocationMooresville, NC

Posted 07 March 2014 - 05:55 PM

Sweet! That looks like some thick AL, how did you end up cutting out the holes?

#10 BlKtRe

BlKtRe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16489 posts
  • LocationThe Land of Oz

Posted 07 March 2014 - 07:02 PM

Sweet! That looks like some thick AL, how did you end up cutting out the holes?

1/4". Hole step bit, jug saw, and a file. I heard there is a primer specific to AL. So I'm off researching that.

#11 Genesee Ted

Genesee Ted

yabba dabba doob

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 49850 posts
  • LocationRochester, NY

Posted 07 March 2014 - 07:11 PM

Cool project!  Someday when I rebuild this is probably the direction I will head.  

#12 matt6150

matt6150

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10544 posts

Posted 07 March 2014 - 08:29 PM

1/4". Hole step bit, jug saw, and a file. I heard there is a primer specific to AL. So I'm off researching that.

Really?! I think the brushed AL looks good by itself. I guess I wouldn't want to paint it.

#13 BlKtRe

BlKtRe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16489 posts
  • LocationThe Land of Oz

Posted 07 March 2014 - 09:54 PM

Really?! I think the brushed AL looks good by itself. I guess I wouldn't want to paint it.

I gave it a quick orbital of 220 then 100. I might find something to hit it with a coat to protect it from dirt and fingerprints etc. if I keep it brushed. Maybe the box a dark grey with some flake. 

#14 matt6150

matt6150

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10544 posts

Posted 08 March 2014 - 03:47 AM

I gave it a quick orbital of 220 then 100. I might find something to hit it with a coat to protect it from dirt and fingerprints etc. if I keep it brushed. Maybe the box a dark grey with some flake.

Yeah I think that would look great. If you can find a place that's affordable, clear anodize would be the ticket.

#15 gnef

gnef

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2533 posts
  • LocationAtlanta

Posted 09 March 2014 - 06:04 PM

That looks really nice. 

I wish I had the money and the courage to go electric! Haha. 240v with 50a just scares me.

On our snow days here in atlanta though, it would've been nice to have an electric setup in the basement and brew while at home.

#16 BlKtRe

BlKtRe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16489 posts
  • LocationThe Land of Oz

Posted 17 March 2014 - 09:11 AM

The box is painted and the AL plate has a nice brush to it. I put four coats of clear top coat to protect the AL from oxidation. I used Duplicolor Metal Specks. The stuff goes on good but weird. Fluffy like with all the metal flake in it. There was actually flake floating in the air when I was applying it. My very large heat sink will be arrive today. Tomorrow I will start mounting the SSR's to the heatsink, mount it to the box, and get all the front panel stuff mounted. Then the task of wiring it up. Sorry for the crap phone pics. The piece really looks great in person.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by BlKtRe, 17 March 2014 - 09:12 AM.

#17 BlKtRe

BlKtRe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16489 posts
  • LocationThe Land of Oz

Posted 18 March 2014 - 05:46 PM

Last pics till I'm ready to brew.....Starting to wire later this week. Left to do is outfit my 25g SS Kettles with element fittings and run my 240v 50amp circuit. 

Posted Image

Posted Image

#18 matt6150

matt6150

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10544 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 07:00 PM

Nice! You might just pass me on your build the way I've been moving! What are you planning for element fittings?

#19 BlKtRe

BlKtRe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16489 posts
  • LocationThe Land of Oz

Posted 18 March 2014 - 08:03 PM

Nice! You might just pass me on your build the way I've been moving! What are you planning for element fittings?

I went ahead and ordered those neurtik procon 32 amp QD's at the box and the AL Hubbell relief strain for the heating element box that mounts to the vessels. Like you have. I also bit the bullet and got some procon 20amp for the pumps. It was only $20 for two sets. Mouser is by far the cheapest neurtik supplier anywhere I could find by a landslide.

#20 BlKtRe

BlKtRe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16489 posts
  • LocationThe Land of Oz

Posted 18 March 2014 - 08:06 PM

Btw, you work harder and longer than me. Time is hard to come by.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users