22 replies to this topic

#1 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 19 March 2014 - 05:53 AM

One of my daughters favorite holiday movies, Prep and Landing, helped name this beer.  I thought Holiday Hug was the perfect name for a beer I was brewing in December.  Excuse me while I go get a hug!

httpss://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-WjoCI9clN48/UymTOJCPemI/AAAAAAAAEds/yzbdZD2wNew/w262-h290-no/HH2.jpg

Holiday Hug

11.5g

65M boil

Mash Ratio 1.335

Mash Temp – 149*

Grist Bill

45% - 12# Two Row

45% - 12# Pilsen

4% -1# Caramunich III

4% - 1# CaraPils

2% - ½# Amber Malt (TF)

Hops

70g Delta – Mash Hop

70g Citra – Mash Hop

28g Apollo– 60

56g Simcoe – 15

56g Amarillo – 15

56g Simcoe– 5

56g Amarillo – 5

56g Amarillo – Whirlpool

56g Mosaic – Whirlpool

56g Citra– Dry Hop

56g Simcoe– Dry Hop

56g Amarillo– Dry Hop

56g Mosaic – Dry Hop

Water

Ca – 145ppm

Mg- 3ppm

Na – 41ppm

SO4- 263ppm

Cl- 55ppm

Bicarb – 126ppm

And for Ken

Mash pH – 5.27

Sparge pH – 5.80

Kettle pH – 5.65

Fermenter pH-5.35

I split this batch between S-05 and Mangrove Jacks M-44.  Both beers finished very close, S-05 1.010 and M-44 1.011.  The S-05 version to me is the better beer.  Hops pop a lot more and the flavors are crisper.  The M-44 made a good beer but seems to be more muted.  I will not use M-44 again, well I will to use up the pack I have left and then never again.

httpss://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-b3aHncuD2BY/UymSgeqPRZI/AAAAAAAAEdc/hR1vCKTbt_E/w480-h640-no/hug.jpg

Edited by drez77, 19 March 2014 - 05:54 AM.

#2 brewman

brewman

Canyon Chin King of Chicago

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13080 posts
  • LocationFlorida Everglades

Posted 19 March 2014 - 06:06 AM

I want a hug.

#3 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 19 March 2014 - 06:11 AM

I want a hug.

c'mere big guy

#4 Jdtirado

Jdtirado

Comptroller of Betties & Crocs

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2162 posts
  • LocationVirginia

Posted 19 March 2014 - 06:45 AM

Another Drez beer that I must make

#5 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16628 posts

Posted 19 March 2014 - 07:37 AM

Nice looking beer. Couple questions.

Im not familiar with amber malt, what do you like about it in an IPA and at that percentage?

What do you find mash hopping brings to the beer? 

What, if anything, would you change next time?

#6 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 19 March 2014 - 09:41 AM

Nice looking beer. Couple questions.

Im not familiar with amber malt, what do you like about it in an IPA and at that percentage?

What do you find mash hopping brings to the beer? 

What, if anything, would you change next time?

The amber malt I bought was originally for a Dogfish Head 90 minute clone.  I decided to not do that beer and had 5# to use so I figured I would throw it in here.  I think it could be removed and not impact the beer much at all but I feel it lends a bit of toastyness to the beer, maybe like a victory malt. I plan to keep it in the beer and may move it up to a full pound.

The mash hop was an experiment.  I had heard from a few brewers I know, both commercial and home brewers, that swear by it.  One claimed it gave an Unami effect, earthiness just some different effects from the hops.  To be honest, I am up in the air if this will be in my next version of it I will just try and FWH with those hops in a different quantity or leave it out completely to see if there is much of an impact.  I have a lot of delta hops so I do not mind using them as a mash hop and while I do have a lot of citra, I do have reservations about using them in this manner.

So, I partially answered your third question with my thoughts on the mash hop.  The only other change i will make next time is to just use S-05, WLP001 or 1056 for the yeast and let all the hop goodness come out.  I plan to keep this beer on tap as much as I can as my house IPA. 

Hope that helps with my thoughts and where I was trying to go

#7 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16628 posts

Posted 19 March 2014 - 10:29 AM

The amber malt I bought was originally for a Dogfish Head 90 minute clone.  I decided to not do that beer and had 5# to use so I figured I would throw it in here.  I think it could be removed and not impact the beer much at all but I feel it lends a bit of toastyness to the beer, maybe like a victory malt. I plan to keep it in the beer and may move it up to a full pound.

The mash hop was an experiment.  I had heard from a few brewers I know, both commercial and home brewers, that swear by it.  One claimed it gave an Unami effect, earthiness just some different effects from the hops.  To be honest, I am up in the air if this will be in my next version of it I will just try and FWH with those hops in a different quantity or leave it out completely to see if there is much of an impact.  I have a lot of delta hops so I do not mind using them as a mash hop and while I do have a lot of citra, I do have reservations about using them in this manner.

So, I partially answered your third question with my thoughts on the mash hop.  The only other change i will make next time is to just use S-05, WLP001 or 1056 for the yeast and let all the hop goodness come out.  I plan to keep this beer on tap as much as I can as my house IPA. 

Hope that helps with my thoughts and where I was trying to go

Yeah that helps for sure. Thanks. I like to hear the thinking sometimes of how you guys come up with your recipes and why.

#8 matt6150

matt6150

Moderately Accelerated Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10549 posts
  • LocationMooresville, NC

Posted 21 May 2014 - 04:04 PM

So I think I am going to make a variation of this recipe this weekend. I will have to sub out Simcoe, because I do not have any. Suggestions on that? Also might skip the mash hops (may just FWH some Citra), I don't have any Delta anyway. I do have a bunch of Crystal I don't know what to do with :scratch: I have some 1056 going on the stirplate right now. Other than that I think I have everything, I think it's a go! :cheers:

#9 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68757 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 21 May 2014 - 04:28 PM

So I think I am going to make a variation of this recipe this weekend. I will have to sub out Simcoe, because I do not have any. Suggestions on that? Also might skip the mash hops (may just FWH some Citra), I don't have any Delta anyway. I do have a bunch of Crystal I don't know what to do with :scratch: I have some 1056 going on the stirplate right now. Other than that I think I have everything, I think it's a go! :cheers:

Crystal, Magnum and Citra are the hops in Torpedo

#10 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 22 May 2014 - 04:37 AM

I would not worry about the mash hop.  As I stated above it was an experiment, also I have a lot of leaf hops to use up and it was a good way to use them.  What do you have for hops on hand?  I would thing using Columbus or maybe Chinook would work.  Not sure I would DH with the Chinook but that is just me.  A word of caution with the crystal hops, when used late or as a DH they can lend a soapy characteristic to the beer.

#11 matt6150

matt6150

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10549 posts

Posted 22 May 2014 - 09:49 AM

So I suppose pellets wouldn't be a good thing to try as a mash hop? I have a bunch of other hops on hand, just don't have a list in front of me. I do have plenty of Columbus, that may be the ticket to sub out the Simcoe. Did not know about the Crystal hops being soapy. I have never used them and have a lb. of them I'm not sure what to do with. There only 3% aa so I would need a lot of them if I used them early for bittering. Someday I suppose I will find a use.

#12 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 22 May 2014 - 10:07 AM

So I suppose pellets wouldn't be a good thing to try as a mash hop? I have a bunch of other hops on hand, just don't have a list in front of me. I do have plenty of Columbus, that may be the ticket to sub out the Simcoe. Did not know about the Crystal hops being soapy. I have never used them and have a lb. of them I'm not sure what to do with. There only 3% aa so I would need a lot of them if I used them early for bittering. Someday I suppose I will find a use.

Any hop will work for mash hopping, it does not need to be leaf.  I think Columbus would be just fine, I would go with that if I did not have 3# of simcoe on hand.

I also have a # of crystal.  I may try using it in a blonde ale? 

#13 johnpreuss

johnpreuss

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1460 posts
  • LocationWay Up North Minnesota

Posted 22 May 2014 - 11:46 AM

blonde ale, english bitter, belgian whatever, hefe, ummm.. I have uses for crystal! 

#14 matt6150

matt6150

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10549 posts

Posted 27 May 2014 - 03:05 PM

It is brewed. I had a OG of 1.065. I didn't have amber malt so I went with victory in it's place. The simcoe got subbed with columbus. As far as the mash hops, I threw in 2oz. of crystal. Other than that it should be spot on! I think these hops should make for a great combo.

#15 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 28 May 2014 - 04:43 AM

It is brewed. I had a OG of 1.065. I didn't have amber malt so I went with victory in it's place. The simcoe got subbed with columbus. As far as the mash hops, I threw in 2oz. of crystal. Other than that it should be spot on! I think these hops should make for a great combo.

I think my OG was around the same.  Looking forward to seeing how this came out for you.

#16 matt6150

matt6150

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10549 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 05:49 AM

Just sent this to secondary with the dry hops. Won't be long now, looking forward to it.

#17 matt6150

matt6150

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10549 posts

Posted 24 June 2014 - 06:33 PM

This beer turned out awesome! Very good hop combo drez nice work! I plowed through have the keg on Sat with my wife's help, it was a hit. I wish I knew if those mash hops did anything, but either way it was a good beer. I think I may find a comp to enter it into just for fun.

#18 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 25 June 2014 - 04:39 AM

This beer turned out awesome! Very good hop combo drez nice work! I plowed through have the keg on Sat with my wife's help, it was a hit. I wish I knew if those mash hops did anything, but either way it was a good beer. I think I may find a comp to enter it into just for fun.

Great!  I am glad you liked it.  Only one way to tell about those mash hops, brew it again!!

If you get around to entering this report back any results.

#19 matt6150

matt6150

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10549 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 12:13 PM

So after not really finding a good comp that was close to enter this beer into I gave up. But or homebrew club held an internal comp for IPA's and I got first with this beer. This is a great recipe and encourage anyone to try it!

#20 BlKtRe

BlKtRe

Comptroller of le Shartes

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16516 posts
  • LocationThe Land of Oz

Posted 21 August 2014 - 03:58 PM

Whats your total IBU's for this beer?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users