Ca – 120.3ppm

Mg- 3ppm

Na – 19ppm

SO4- 203.7ppm

Cl- 54.5ppm

Bicarb – 68ppm

Yeast

S-05/WLP001/Wyeat1056

This beer came out really good and did not last long on tap.  It had a great tropical fruit nose, very unique hop.  This one is on the agenda for next weekend and I will not be making any changes other than brewing a double batch.  I also do a beer with a very similar grist bill but use simcoe hops instead and it turns out equally as good. The reason for the 90 minute boils is that  I will interchange pils and two tow in this recipe depending how dark I want the final beer and what mood I am in.  I also find the pils version will finish a bit lower making the beer drier and allow the hops to "pop" a bit more. 

httpss://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-6eZd_wzsUVg/UysstsywAXI/AAAAAAAAEeE/u1r8JeSulHU/w381-h640-no/mapa.jpg

#2 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts
  • LocationCoconut Creek, FL

Posted 20 March 2014 - 11:35 AM

I'm on the tail end of a keg of a Belgian Pale that I made with Hallertau, Saaz and Mosaic.  I think I used WLP530.  I also dry hopped the keg with an ounce of Mosaic.  I honestly think I added way too much.  Mosaic is a very interesting spicy/flora hop I tells ya.  It came through very pronounced and seems to have overtaken the beer.

Wondering how it would taste if I used it for more of a bittering hop rather than finishing...

Thoughts?

Btw; your beer looks fantastic!!! 

#3 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18068 posts

Posted 20 March 2014 - 11:50 AM

That is interesting.  I did not get any spiciness from this beer at all.  I can see it overtaking a beer just like Citra does but with that said I could never see myself use if for bittering and lose the wonderful flavor and aroma. 

#4 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts

Posted 20 March 2014 - 12:03 PM

I get your point.  Do you find it pretty unique in terms of what it brings?  I do...

#5 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18068 posts

Posted 20 March 2014 - 12:18 PM

I get your point.  Do you find it pretty unique in terms of what it brings?  I do...

I do and that is what I like about them.  Of course I am also a huge fan of citra and I find both hops similar.

#6 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

Grand Duke of Inappropriate Announcements

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts
  • LocationKnee deep in business plans

Posted 20 March 2014 - 12:25 PM

Saaz and Hallertau will give you some spiciness.

#7 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18068 posts

Posted 20 March 2014 - 12:30 PM

Saaz and Hallertau will give you some spiciness.

That was my thought too.  I did a beer that Ken posted that had Saaz and Motueka in it and I just never really cared for it.  I think I am just not a saaz fan.

#8 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts

Posted 20 March 2014 - 12:35 PM

I've used that combo before so I know what it brings.  I just can't seem to put my palate on the Mosaic.  Don't get me wrong, I like it.  But man, it's different...

#9 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16639 posts

Posted 20 March 2014 - 03:50 PM

This beer came out really good and did not last long on tap.  It had a great tropical fruit nose, very unique hop.  This one is on the agenda for next weekend and I will not be making any changes other than brewing a double batch.  I also do a beer with a very similar grist bill but use simcoe hops instead and it turns out equally as good. The reason for the 90 minute boils is that  I will interchange pils and two tow in this recipe depending how dark I want the final beer and what mood I am in.  I also find the pils version will finish a bit lower making the beer drier and allow the hops to "pop" a bit more. 

That beer looks terrific. Have you considered a blend of the two? My taste memory of those two hops make me think they would taste great together. They are related you know. 50/50 or maybe better would be 70/30 Simcoe/Mosaic with a little chinook to the bittering charge. :scratch:

#10 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18068 posts

Posted 21 March 2014 - 04:30 AM

That beer looks terrific. Have you considered a blend of the two? My taste memory of those two hops make me think they would taste great together. They are related you know. 50/50 or maybe better would be 70/30 Simcoe/Mosaic with a little chinook to the bittering charge. :scratch:

I have had that thought and a recipe is on the drawing board.  My plan was to do a 50/50 blend of Simcoe and Mosaic like you indicated but I was going to leave the bittering as.  For my taste, in this beer, I like the neutral smooth bittering followed by the huge hop flavor and aroma.  I can understand why someone would want to rough it up a bit though. 

#11 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts

Posted 02 April 2014 - 06:33 AM

I do and that is what I like about them.  Of course I am also a huge fan of citra and I find both hops similar.

drezz, I just re read your comment. I'm building an amber rye for this Saturday and my current plan is a little magnum at FWH and 45. Then I'm going to blend Citra, Mosaic and Cascade. With your comment above, are the Citra and Mosaic going to fight each other or will they compliment each other?

#12 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16639 posts

Posted 02 April 2014 - 06:55 AM

drezz, I just re read your comment. I'm building an amber rye for this Saturday and my current plan is a little magnum at FWH and 45. Then I'm going to blend Citra, Mosaic and Cascade. With your comment above, are the Citra and Mosaic going to fight each other or will they compliment each other?

Citra and mosaic will not clash in my experience. They are 2 of the 4 hops used in Victory's Dirt Wolf IIPA, which is a great IIPA, IMO

#13 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts

Posted 02 April 2014 - 07:05 AM

What are the other 2?

#14 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18068 posts

Posted 02 April 2014 - 07:06 AM

Citra and mosaic will not clash in my experience. They are 2 of the 4 hops used in Victory's Dirt Wolf IIPA, which is a great IIPA, IMO

I agree with ettels4 and if I came across that they may clash I am sorry.  I actually use Citra and Mosaic and a couple others in my IPA recipe here

Citra and Mosaic will be a damn good beer IMO.

Edited by drez77, 02 April 2014 - 07:06 AM.

#15 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18068 posts

Posted 02 April 2014 - 07:06 AM

What are the other 2?

Malt: Imported two-row malts

Hops: Whole flower Citra, Chinook, Simcoe and Mosaic hops

ABV: 8.7%

#16 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16639 posts

Posted 02 April 2014 - 07:22 AM

Malt: Imported two-row malts

Hops: Whole flower Citra, Chinook, Simcoe and Mosaic hops

ABV: 8.7%

I am going to be making an attempt at something similar to Dirt Wolf as soon as I have enough people around to help me polish off 5 gallons of IIPA while it's still fresh. It is a great combination of hops.

#17 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts

Posted 02 April 2014 - 07:28 AM

That looks fantastic

#18 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18068 posts

Posted 02 April 2014 - 07:46 AM

That looks fantastic

take a look at the IPA I linked, really good beer and has most of the hops in Dirt Wolf other than I add some Amarillo and bitter with Apollo

#19 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts

Posted 02 April 2014 - 11:13 AM

Yes, I saw that recipe, sweet!  I happen to be meetin the boys at WOB this afternoon and have a Dirt Wolf on my playlist.... 

#20 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16639 posts

Posted 02 April 2014 - 12:25 PM

I happen to be meetin the boys at WOB this afternoon and have a Dirt Wolf on my playlist.... 

:frank: May it be fresh and not too cold.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users