Feltersnatch

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14607 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC

Posted 25 March 2014 - 07:04 AM

Years ago I built one of the Igloo Cube portable draft boxes for 3 gal kegs

Posted Image

I have the little 3 gallon kegs, the paintball draft system. . .the works. However, I've used it exactly once, and I believe that was in 2008. I don't brew anymore (though I hope to start again when we move to a bigger house).

I was thinking about picking up a 2 pass cold plate so I could convert it to a jockey box and just pick up a couple of 1/4 barrel kegs for parties, tailgates, etc.

Do the cold plates work well? Where is the best place to pick one up? Anything specific I need to look for when buying?

Edited by Howie, 25 March 2014 - 07:05 AM.

#2 BlKtRe

BlKtRe

Comptroller of le Shartes

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16489 posts
  • LocationThe Land of Oz

Posted 25 March 2014 - 07:12 AM

Cold plates work awesome. I built two four tap boxes and converted our 10 tapper to plates. We serve 2-300 people a few times per year with the setup in all outside temp ranges with zero issues. I absolutely recommend them. 

There are various fittings that are on the plate to hook up your beer lines. Two fittings per line. You can either go 1/4" swivel barb nuts or just barbs. Fittings might come with your plates. Clean it well if used. Check ebay or if buying new maybe you know somebody with a FOXX account. 

Edited by BlKtRe, 25 March 2014 - 07:14 AM.

#3 Howie

Howie

Feltersnatch

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14607 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC

Posted 25 March 2014 - 07:18 AM

Any further details? What size do I need to have an effective cold plate? Seems like they are available in 11' and 18' configurations of coil, as well as various sizes of plate mass.

Also, they typically show a larger "in" line than out? So you are running 5/16" in an 1/4" out?

It's been a long time since I've done anything with draft! Trying to remember

#4 BlKtRe

BlKtRe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16489 posts
  • LocationThe Land of Oz

Posted 25 March 2014 - 07:42 AM

Any further details? What size do I need to have an effective cold plate? Seems like they are available in 11' and 18' configurations of coil, as well as various sizes of plate mass.

Also, they typically show a larger "in" line than out? So you are running 5/16" in an 1/4" out?

It's been a long time since I've done anything with draft! Trying to remember

Looks like you have two taps. You will need to measure your cooler for sizing. If you can fit a 2-4 circuit plate in there go for it. Plates are cheaper than SS coils. Of course you already know you would need one coil per tap. I cant remember the sized fittings on the plates. But if you find one that doesnt come with it when you search for plate fittings they are there. I've only seen one size of fittings for the plates at least the 4 plates we have are the same size/thread. 

#5 Jdtirado

Jdtirado

Comptroller of Betties & Crocs

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2162 posts
  • LocationVirginia

Posted 25 March 2014 - 09:02 AM

Pictures please

#6 BlKtRe

BlKtRe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16489 posts
  • LocationThe Land of Oz

Posted 26 March 2014 - 06:49 AM

Pictures please

Pics of what?

#7 bigdaddyale

bigdaddyale

Linkbot

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9528 posts
  • LocationCurrent: New Homoco, Texas. Past : Lugner Island

Posted 27 March 2014 - 06:14 PM

Pictures please

Posted Image

#8 gnef

gnef

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2533 posts
  • LocationAtlanta

Posted 30 March 2014 - 08:57 PM

I will echo what others have said: cold plates are great. 

I currently have 3 jockey boxes, a 6, 5, and 2 pass, all in coolers. I used to have an extra 2 pass, but sold it to a friend.  I almost built another 7 pass jockey box, but the ebay seller never sent it to me, so I decided to just stick with what I had, as it seemed enough.

I have some with the 1/4'' flare, which is nice, but I also have one that uses the barbed fitting. I also converted one to use push to connect fittings. If I used them more often, I would convert all of them to push to connect fittings.

Buy used if you can, they are significantly cheaper, and sometimes you can find some amazing deals.

#9 matt6150

matt6150

Moderately Accelerated Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10544 posts
  • LocationMooresville, NC

Posted 31 March 2014 - 03:48 AM

I will echo what others have said: cold plates are great. I currently have 3 jockey boxes, a 6, 5, and 2 pass, all in coolers. I used to have an extra 2 pass, but sold it to a friend. I almost built another 7 pass jockey box, but the ebay seller never sent it to me, so I decided to just stick with what I had, as it seemed enough.I have some with the 1/4'' flare, which is nice, but I also have one that uses the barbed fitting. I also converted one to use push to connect fittings. If I used them more often, I would convert all of them to push to connect fittings.Buy used if you can, they are significantly cheaper, and sometimes you can find some amazing deals.

Just curious what would be the advantage of push to connect fittings on a jockey box? Wouldn't you just build the box and be done with it? Why would you need to take it back apart?

#10 BlKtRe

BlKtRe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16489 posts
  • LocationThe Land of Oz

Posted 31 March 2014 - 06:42 AM

Just curious what would be the advantage of push to connect fittings on a jockey box? Wouldn't you just build the box and be done with it? Why would you need to take it back apart?

We put push connect because its easy to remove the plate for cleaning. It can get real nasty under the plate over time. 

#11 matt6150

matt6150

Moderately Accelerated Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10544 posts
  • LocationMooresville, NC

Posted 31 March 2014 - 07:10 AM

We put push connect because its easy to remove the plate for cleaning. It can get real nasty under the plate over time.

Oh yeah underneath the plate between it and the cooler, yeah I can see that. I suppose id its bot clean and dry before storage it could get bad.

#12 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 31 March 2014 - 07:12 AM

so what happens to carbonation when your keg is sitting warm?  does the beer end up kind of flat?

#13 BlKtRe

BlKtRe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16489 posts
  • LocationThe Land of Oz

Posted 31 March 2014 - 07:22 AM

so what happens to carbonation when your keg is sitting warm?  does the beer end up kind of flat?

Nothing happens. The beer will pour however it was originally carbed. 

#14 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 31 March 2014 - 07:25 AM

Nothing happens. The beer will pour however it was originally carbed. 

I've found that if I take a cold and carbed keg and let it warm up it starts to decarb into the headspace in a fairly significant way.  Maybe it doesn't happen fast enough or maybe you are carbing the beer at room temp anyway?

#15 BlKtRe

BlKtRe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16489 posts
  • LocationThe Land of Oz

Posted 31 March 2014 - 07:26 AM

I've found that if I take a cold and carbed keg and let it warm up it starts to decarb into the headspace in a fairly significant way.  Maybe it doesn't happen fast enough or maybe you are carbing the beer at room temp anyway?

You are running the beer through a plate changing the temp of it. 

#16 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 31 March 2014 - 07:41 AM

You are running the beer through a plate changing the temp of it. 

at that point the carbonation is at the level it's at.  it's not going to change much while it runs through the jockey box.

#17 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 31 March 2014 - 07:47 AM

I don't think i'm describing what i'm talking about well.  this chart will help.  you'll see to acheive middle of the road carbonation at cold temps you need about 10 PSI to hit equilibrium.  To do the same at room temp you are talking close to 30 PSI.

my question was how do you account for this since the beer itself is sitting warm in the keg and is only chilled at the last breif period before pouring into the glass.  can you keep the head pressure really high?  wouldn't dropping the head pressure cause the beer to foam?  I've never tried this out myself but it seems like a tricky balancing situation.

Posted Image

#18 BlKtRe

BlKtRe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16489 posts
  • LocationThe Land of Oz

Posted 31 March 2014 - 07:53 AM

Charts are fine and all I'm just saying between a few annual parties we push at least 150 kegs, most likely more, through jockey boxes. All the kegs differ in their temp from when they were removed from refrigeration and there hasn't been issues pouring beer. I understand what you are thinking but you are over thinking this from our experience. 

#19 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 31 March 2014 - 10:55 AM

Charts are fine and all I'm just saying between a few annual parties we push at least 150 kegs, most likely more, through jockey boxes. All the kegs differ in their temp from when they were removed from refrigeration and there hasn't been issues pouring beer. I understand what you are thinking but you are over thinking this from our experience. 

just curiosity.  i didn't know if there were some tricks to making it pour nice while maintaining a nice carb level.

#20 BlKtRe

BlKtRe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16489 posts
  • LocationThe Land of Oz

Posted 31 March 2014 - 12:33 PM

just curiosity.  i didn't know if there were some tricks to making it pour nice while maintaining a nice carb level.

Not really. What Ive found is when we serve 100 kegs at a event 98% of them are carbed by different brewers. Its difficult to get everyone to carb to the same level. That is what I meant by the beer will show its original carb level. Kegs warming has never effected pours. Now Im sure there is a lot of science out there that can nick pick it to death but its over thinking imo based on lots of experience at serving events. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users