#21 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 31 March 2014 - 01:20 PM

Not really. What Ive found is when we serve 100 kegs at a event 98% of them are carbed by different brewers. Its difficult to get everyone to carb to the same level. That is what I meant by the beer will show its original carb level. Kegs warming has never effected pours. Now Im sure there is a lot of science out there that can nick pick it to death but its over thinking imo based on lots of experience at serving events. 

what kind of head pressure do you usually serve at with this type of setup?  the typical 7-12 PSI or what?

#22 BlKtRe

BlKtRe

Comptroller of le Shartes

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16517 posts
  • LocationThe Land of Oz

Posted 31 March 2014 - 01:24 PM

what kind of head pressure do you usually serve at with this type of setup?  the typical 7-12 PSI or what?

To get through 10ft of 5/16" and the plate it takes a good 18-20 psi. When building these I chose 10ft so there would be plenty of line to stretch to kegs in any situation. In case you were wondering. 

#23 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 31 March 2014 - 01:51 PM

To get through 10ft of 5/16" and the plate it takes a good 18-20 psi. When building these I chose 10ft so there would be plenty of line to stretch to kegs in any situation. In case you were wondering. 

well that works out well b/c you are almost up to equilibrium pressure with that.

#24 BlKtRe

BlKtRe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16517 posts
  • LocationThe Land of Oz

Posted 31 March 2014 - 04:06 PM

well that works out well b/c you are almost up to equilibrium pressure with that.

So build it right the first time?  :)

#25 matt6150

matt6150

Moderately Accelerated Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10549 posts
  • LocationMooresville, NC

Posted 15 July 2014 - 12:51 PM

So when serving at events you are obviously pouring pretty much constantly. Do the cold plates get the beer cold from a warm keg in the short amount of time it passes through?

#26 BlKtRe

BlKtRe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16517 posts
  • LocationThe Land of Oz

Posted 15 July 2014 - 02:23 PM

So when serving at events you are obviously pouring pretty much constantly. Do the cold plates get the beer cold from a warm keg in the short amount of time it passes through?

It does pretty well. When outside temps get really hot and the keg gets fairly warm foam can become an issue but its usually not to bad. You will find adding more ice to the box to replace the melted ice really helps too. 

#27 matt6150

matt6150

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10549 posts

Posted 15 July 2014 - 02:35 PM

It does pretty well. When outside temps get really hot and the keg gets fairly warm foam can become an issue but its usually not to bad. You will find adding more ice to the box to replace the melted ice really helps too. 

Ok, 90% of the time the kegs we are pouring are cold so I'm guessing it shouldn't be a problem. We have huge foaming problems now. The inside of the jockey box has about 100ft. of normal beverage line for cooling now. I want to fix my clubs boxes but nobody can decide what to do. There is a group of people that say cold plates are junk and we should go with SS coils.

#28 BlKtRe

BlKtRe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16517 posts
  • LocationThe Land of Oz

Posted 15 July 2014 - 03:12 PM

Ok, 90% of the time the kegs we are pouring are cold so I'm guessing it shouldn't be a problem. We have huge foaming problems now. The inside of the jockey box has about 100ft. of normal beverage line for cooling now. I want to fix my clubs boxes but nobody can decide what to do. There is a group of people that say cold plates are junk and we should go with SS coils.

I have to disagree. I built two 4 tap boxes with plates and added two 5 circuit plates to our 10 tapper. These taps flow all year long at multiple events with very little issue. The biggest issue is all the kegs that show up can be carbed at different levels. We literally have served thousands of gallons through our setups in all kinds of outside temps and various keg temps. Coils are nice but that can still stratify like any other coil and they cost a ton more in comparison. I don't think you can go wrong with either setup but I dont think coils are worth it imo. 

#29 matt6150

matt6150

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10549 posts

Posted 15 July 2014 - 03:21 PM

I have to disagree. I built two 4 tap boxes with plates and added two 5 circuit plates to our 10 tapper. These taps flow all year long at multiple events with very little issue. The biggest issue is all the kegs that show up can be carbed at different levels. We literally have served thousands of gallons through our setups in all kinds of outside temps and various keg temps. Coils are nice but that can still stratify like any other coil and they cost a ton more in comparison. I don't think you can go wrong with either setup but I dont think coils are worth it imo. 

Yeah same here.

Thanks for the input. I am going to try and convince the club to go the cold plate route.

#30 BlKtRe

BlKtRe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16517 posts
  • LocationThe Land of Oz

Posted 15 July 2014 - 04:31 PM

Yeah same here.Thanks for the input. I am going to try and convince the club to go the cold plate route.

How many taps? We got our plates off eBay for not much. Maybe a cost comparison if you don't have many taps the coils wouldn't be so bad. 18 for us was way out there.

#31 matt6150

matt6150

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10549 posts

Posted 15 July 2014 - 05:28 PM

How many taps? We got our plates off eBay for not much. Maybe a cost comparison if you don't have many taps the coils wouldn't be so bad. 18 for us was way out there.

2 coolers with 2 taps each. So 4 taps total. Was looking at these.

#32 BlKtRe

BlKtRe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16517 posts
  • LocationThe Land of Oz

Posted 15 July 2014 - 06:04 PM

Might try Foxx to. You have to have a tax ID to order from them but they sell some things very reasonable. The one you posted look good to but I might suggest to get 4 circuit plates so you can expand because you will want to.

#33 matt6150

matt6150

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10549 posts

Posted 15 July 2014 - 07:25 PM

Might try Foxx to. You have to have a tax ID to order from them but they sell some things very reasonable. The one you posted look good to but I might suggest to get 4 circuit plates so you can expand because you will want to.

Good idea. And possibly in the mean time I could jumper the circuits for better cooling.

#34 BlKtRe

BlKtRe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16517 posts
  • LocationThe Land of Oz

Posted 15 July 2014 - 07:30 PM

Sure seems like we also bought 4 circuit plates from Foxx for around $120-30.

#35 ChefLamont

ChefLamont

Comptroller of Fear

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9731 posts
  • LocationAtlanta

Posted 16 July 2014 - 02:32 PM

I dont have near the experience that Blktre has, but I agree that cold plates are the way to go.  I have a 6-pass one in a cooler.

Saying cold plates are junk is just ignorant (IMHO).  It is a stainless steel tube embedded in a block of aluminum.  You are using the aluminum for its hear transfer properties which are much better than stainless (by roughly 10 times).  I wont go so far as to say they are far better than a coil, but they are by no means much worse.  Each has its advantages.  In both cases the beer only sees stainless tubing and is chilled.

#36 StankDelicious

StankDelicious

Comptroller of BigBossMan

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14017 posts
  • LocationMarylandistan

Posted 16 July 2014 - 02:48 PM

I have a two tap cold plate jockeybox. I gave away my old coil one. The plates are far superior. You get a colder and smoother pour, IMO.

#37 matt6150

matt6150

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10549 posts

Posted 16 July 2014 - 03:02 PM

Believe me I am sold on the idea. It is really just one guy that has a problem with it and of course he has his followers. His main gripe is that he doesn't think it will get the beer cold enough while only passing through the short section of the cold plate. So at a beer festival where there is constant pouring it wouldn't do anything.

#38 StankDelicious

StankDelicious

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14017 posts
  • LocationMarylandistan

Posted 16 July 2014 - 03:16 PM

2 coolers with 2 taps each. So 4 taps total. Was looking at these.

https://midwestbev.com/coldplates.aspx

#39 BlKtRe

BlKtRe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16517 posts
  • LocationThe Land of Oz

Posted 16 July 2014 - 03:29 PM

Believe me I am sold on the idea. It is really just one guy that has a problem with it and of course he has his followers. His main gripe is that he doesn't think it will get the beer cold enough while only passing through the short section of the cold plate. So at a beer festival where there is constant pouring it wouldn't do anything.

He is grasping for air. Sorry to be that way but he has no practical experience. I just served 250 people at our personal party and another fest our club sponsors serves 350. We serve beer at festivals in Missouri, Nebraska, and NHC. The only foam issue we have are over carbed beers and when keg temps get into the 80's or above, or when the box ice melts to water. We just maintain ice in warmer temps and it's not a huge foam deal even with lots of pressure on the taps.

#40 StankDelicious

StankDelicious

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14017 posts
  • LocationMarylandistan

Posted 16 July 2014 - 03:37 PM

Why are they so ####ing expensive? I'm hoping to have something put together for Mashout in a month.

We can share mine. I'm bringing 2 kegs, but you can use one of the taps.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users