Photo
- - - - -

Final observations/results of my B'N'W experiments...

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#21 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53909 posts

Posted 01 May 2014 - 11:25 AM

How old is that meter now Ken?

I would have to check but less than a year.EDIT: I could swear I ordered this through Amazon but I don't see it on my order rundown. But I do see that I ordered calibration solution from them on 2/19/13 so my bad... it's a little over a year old.

Edited by KenLenard, 01 May 2014 - 11:29 AM.

#22 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53909 posts

Posted 01 May 2014 - 11:27 AM

i don't see it above so forgive me if it is - but how far off is bru'n water from reality for you?

It's probably a percentage. Here it called for 4.4ml and I used 3 and was a little low. In other examples it suggests 3 and I use 2 and I'm close but low. I would have to go back and check my notes on the various differences... some of them had dilutions, some did not. But the app always suggested more acid than was needed.

#23 bigdaddyale

bigdaddyale

Linkbot

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9528 posts
  • LocationCurrent: New Homoco, Texas. Past : Lugner Island

Posted 01 May 2014 - 11:27 AM

TL /DR

What type of acid ? Lactic? Wondering if you have a bottle that's stronger than 88%.

#24 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53909 posts

Posted 01 May 2014 - 11:30 AM

TL /DRWhat type of acid ? Lactic? Wondering if you have a bottle that's stronger than 88%.

88% lactic acid. Always.

#25 bigdaddyale

bigdaddyale

Linkbot

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9528 posts

Posted 01 May 2014 - 12:00 PM

Try playing around with "ACID STRENGTH" on sheet 2 row 9  of BNW v 1.10 and see if you cant get closer.

Edited by bigdaddyale, 01 May 2014 - 12:01 PM.

#26 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 01 May 2014 - 12:09 PM

It's probably a percentage. Here it called for 4.4ml and I used 3 and was a little low. In other examples it suggests 3 and I use 2 and I'm close but low. I would have to go back and check my notes on the various differences... some of them had dilutions, some did not. But the app always suggested more acid than was needed.

that's one area where i have little experience with the spreadsheet.  i've only used salts or acidulated malt.

#27 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16608 posts

Posted 01 May 2014 - 12:45 PM

Try playing around with "ACID STRENGTH" on sheet 2 row 9  of BNW v 1.10 and see if you cant get closer.

Actually this is great suggestion. With a couple of caveats. First I think he wants to play with the acid strength on Sheet 3 Box D26 because that is the acid as it pertains to the mash. You could falsify the percentage of the acid to match your results the same way we do it to tun thermal mass to adjust our strike temps. The second caveat is if his lactic acid really isn't 88% and that is what is throwing his pH low. If he replaces that bad lactic with an accurate bottle thing would be off. Otherwise this seems like a great built in way to adjust the program you your experience. Thinking about this more, I am thinking that this "acid strength adjustment" would only work when repeating the recipe and salt additions.

#28 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53909 posts

Posted 01 May 2014 - 12:57 PM

Actually this is great suggestion. With a couple of caveats. First I think he wants to play with the acid strength on Sheet 3 Box D26 because that is the acid as it pertains to the mash. You could falsify the percentage of the acid to match your results the same way we do it to tun thermal mass to adjust our strike temps. The second caveat is if his lactic acid really isn't 88% and that is what is throwing his pH low. If he replaces that bad lactic with an accurate bottle thing would be off. Otherwise this seems like a great built in way to adjust the program you your experience. Thinking about this more, I am thinking that this "acid strength adjustment" would only work when repeating the recipe and salt additions.

I agree, this is good. I also think it could be adjusted 'on-the-whole' since all of my recipes have been off in the same direction. I'm not sure if they're always off by the same percentage but they're always off because BNW suggests more than I need. Also, this issue has actually straddled different bottles of lactic acid (I started using a new bottle a couple of batches ago) so I don't think that's it. I will play with it a little bit and see how close I can get it and see how consistent it stays as I go from batch to batch.

#29 mabrungard

mabrungard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 109 posts
  • LocationIndianapolis, IN

Posted 01 May 2014 - 07:27 PM

Oh! I'm hoping you aren't still using version 1.10. There were significant upgrades since that version. It's up to 1.16 in the free version.

Regarding the acid strength, 88% is about the strongest that acid is available in. I am skeptical that overstrength acid is the problem. For acid like 10% phosphoric, I could believe it. 

#30 djinkc

djinkc

Comptroller of Non-Defending Defenders of Inarticulate Twats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts
  • Locationout the backdoor

Posted 01 May 2014 - 07:36 PM

Oh! I'm hoping you aren't still using version 1.10. There were significant upgrades since that version. It's up to 1.16 in the free version.

Regarding the acid strength, 88% is about the strongest that acid is available in. I am skeptical that overstrength acid is the problem. For acid like 10% phosphoric, I could believe it. 

What is different in the not free version?

#31 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53909 posts

Posted 01 May 2014 - 07:57 PM

Oh! I'm hoping you aren't still using version 1.10. There were significant upgrades since that version. It's up to 1.16 in the free version. Regarding the acid strength, 88% is about the strongest that acid is available in. I am skeptical that overstrength acid is the problem. For acid like 10% phosphoric, I could believe it.

I do have the 1.16 version (latest... 2013).

#32 bigdaddyale

bigdaddyale

Linkbot

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9528 posts

Posted 01 May 2014 - 11:00 PM

The version of BNW  is not the issue.

I dont think it's the program. This seems to be an isolated case- Environmental

Not user error

you're not squirting samples with star-san

#33 bigdaddyale

bigdaddyale

Linkbot

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9528 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 03:05 AM