27 replies to this topic

#1 Hines

Hines

Comptroller of Emus

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9745 posts

Posted 21 May 2014 - 05:25 AM

I've brewed off & on for the better part of 8 years, yet I have never dry hopped in the keg.

Last night I kegged a brew and it was pretty non-descript (I used old grain and older hops).  I'm guessing I could go home today and drop a half ounce or so of hops in a nylon and let it sit in there for a few days.  Should I take it out of the kegerator?

#2 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 21 May 2014 - 05:57 AM

I've done some really late dry hopping before (months after the beer has been in the keg).  you can warm it up, or not.  you get some different things out of the hops depending on temperature.  once the yeast is mostly dropped out i'm not sure it matters how long it's been.

#3 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16642 posts

Posted 21 May 2014 - 05:58 AM

My limited experience. I have had no luck fixing a meh beer with dry hops. Only tried it once but it didn't help at all. Also, I have dry hopped kegs several times and it has worked very well to boost flavor from a beer where the hops are fading. I have only ever done it warm though. My approach would be to let the keg sit at room temp. for about 3 days after dry hopping it and then chill again. Sometimes it can be a bit harsh at first and might need a few days in the cold to settle down again, probably depends on how much dry hops were added. At this point I have always just left the hops on the bag in the keg until the keg kicks. Never noticed any off flavors from doing this. 

#4 Hines

Hines

Comptroller of Emus

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9745 posts

Posted 21 May 2014 - 06:44 AM

Interesting.

So Ettels if you were going to try this you would just throw your hops in a bag and drop them in the keg and not bother taking them out?

#5 realbeerguy

realbeerguy

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1974 posts
  • LocationBluffton, SC

Posted 21 May 2014 - 07:01 AM

I dry hop in the keg.  Hop bag suspended about 1/4 way down from the top.  Secure thru lid with unwaxed, unscented dental floss.

#6 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 21 May 2014 - 07:19 AM

Interesting.

So Ettels if you were going to try this you would just throw your hops in a bag and drop them in the keg and not bother taking them out?

i'll let him answer with his experience but this is pretty much all I do now.  every time i've considered taking the hops out i didn't bother b/c any initial harshness just went away on it's own.  now i just plan on leaving them in there.

#7 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 21 May 2014 - 07:25 AM

i'll let him answer with his experience but this is pretty much all I do now.  every time i've considered taking the hops out i didn't bother b/c any initial harshness just went away on it's own.  now i just plan on leaving them in there.

Exactly what I do, too.  Sometimes the dry hops stay in 2-3 months.

#8 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16642 posts

Posted 21 May 2014 - 07:25 AM

Interesting.

Yeah. Like I said about 3 days at room temp then back to the kegerator. Like realbeerguy, I have heard a lot of people say they like to secure the bag. I haven't (yet) found a reason to do this. I should add my experience is with pellets only if that makes any difference.

#9 Hines

Hines

Comptroller of Emus

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9745 posts

Posted 21 May 2014 - 07:52 AM

Yeah I just have pellets.  My initial thought was to mash the pellets to help the process a little bit, but ultimatly, i'm guessing it won't make a difference.

It has been settled, putting in a bag, tethering the bag with a little floss, and leaving it in there for the duration.

Thanks everyone!

#10 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts
  • LocationCoconut Creek, FL

Posted 22 May 2014 - 08:03 AM

I've added (on occasion) up to an ounce of pellets in one of my wife's nylons to the keg, hanging it about 1/2 way down and tied off with unwaxed floss too.  I've never taken it out - only after the keg has emptied.  Works well imho.

#11 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16642 posts

Posted 22 May 2014 - 10:39 AM

Has anyone had a problem caused by not tethering the bag to the lid (or elsewhere) and just letting the bag float free?

#12 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18069 posts

Posted 22 May 2014 - 10:51 AM

Has anyone had a problem caused by not tethering the bag to the lid (or elsewhere) and just letting the bag float free?

I have used tea balls and have let them "free ball" and not had an issue.  I can see an issue if the bag gets lodged on the diptube having an issue but if you do not disturb the keg you should be OK.

#13 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts

Posted 22 May 2014 - 11:29 AM

I've never head of anyone having problems with "free bagging" :)

#14 matt6150

matt6150

Moderately Accelerated Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10549 posts
  • LocationMooresville, NC

Posted 22 May 2014 - 12:09 PM

Has anyone had a problem caused by not tethering the bag to the lid (or elsewhere) and just letting the bag float free?

I am going to find out about this very soon. I kegged a beer last night that needed a little something extra. So I threw a ounce of pellets in in a bag not tethered of. I didn't really have anything on hand and was in a hurry so I just went for it. Time will tell.

#15 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts

Posted 22 May 2014 - 12:14 PM

You're going to be fine but please keep us posted.

#16 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 22 May 2014 - 12:31 PM

i do not tether anything.  just put them in your filter device of choice and chuck em in there!

#17 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16642 posts

Posted 22 May 2014 - 12:47 PM

Yeah the whole reason I was asking was because after just throwing the bag into float freely several times I have had no problems. But I have heard of people going to great lengths to tether the bag (or filter device, as theguv called it) so I wondered why.

#18 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 22 May 2014 - 12:56 PM

Yeah the whole reason I was asking was because after just throwing the bag into float freely several times I have had no problems. But I have heard of people going to great lengths to tether the bag (or filter device, as theguv called it) so I wondered why.

some use bags, tea balls, hop screens, nylons, dirty diapers.

#19 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18069 posts

Posted 22 May 2014 - 12:57 PM

dirty diapers.

Only with my brett beers.  it really brings out the flavors.

#20 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts

Posted 22 May 2014 - 01:03 PM

Not to mention the extra calculation for increased absorbtion

drezz, if you're home, go check the front door :0

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users