#1 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 04 June 2014 - 04:40 PM

I'm just curious.  I'm really enjoying the hell out of this beer as I type this.

#2 bigdaddyale

bigdaddyale

Linkbot

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9528 posts
  • LocationCurrent: New Homoco, Texas. Past : Lugner Island

Posted 04 June 2014 - 04:42 PM

https://www.homebrew...u-clone-390082/

#3 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18069 posts

Posted 04 June 2014 - 04:43 PM

The hbt one is the best. The yeast is key.

#4 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 04 June 2014 - 04:46 PM

I've always found HBT to be pretty hit or miss, often miss unfortunately.

so is it really a special yeast or what?

#5 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 04 June 2014 - 04:48 PM

have you made it?

#6 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18069 posts

Posted 04 June 2014 - 05:11 PM

Yes I have made it and it is good. I did sub grains for what I had on hand. The yeast is a special strain they call Conan. The one I tried from east coast yeast was not good. I have a new one to try from the yeast bay. I can cultured once but never found time to use it. Giga yeast also has a version but is pricey.

#7 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 04 June 2014 - 05:51 PM

meh - use 1450, call it a day :lol:

#8 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18069 posts

Posted 04 June 2014 - 06:06 PM

meh - use 1450, call it a day :lol:

It will not be close at all imo. 05 would be closer...but your beer your choice.

#9 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 05 June 2014 - 02:57 AM

It will not be close at all imo. 05 would be closer...but your beer your choice.

seems like us-05 could dry it too much.

i was partially kidding regarding the 1450 b/c i know you've had such good luck with it ;)

Edited by TheGuv, 05 June 2014 - 03:30 AM.

#10 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18069 posts

Posted 05 June 2014 - 04:44 AM

seems like us-05 could dry it too much.

i was partially kidding regarding the 1450 b/c i know you've had such good luck with it ;)

People have used s-05 with some success if it is fermented cold.  I know guys that have used cultured conan and have it finish about 1.006-.1007.  Under the right conditions, if the right generation is cultured it is a beast.

As I said, I have the one from the yeast bay at home and hope to get to using it in the next few weeks.  I could be nice and mail you some...but then you threw that in about 1450 :)

ETA: The last HT I had was a disappointment to me.  I found it to be much different than what I remember.  I particular the carbonation in the cans has increased and it takes away from the creaminess I remember.  Nothing matches the HT I had back in December 2010 sitting at the Alchemist Pub. It was still a good beer, but not the beer I remember. But as you know,  am a fan of lower carbonation levels. 

Edited by drez77, 05 June 2014 - 04:47 AM.

#11 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts
  • LocationCoconut Creek, FL

Posted 05 June 2014 - 05:38 AM

My nephew up in RI is trying to get friends of friends to get me some.  I'd like to see what all the wonderful hype is about. 

But when I look at that clone recipe, I see the same recurring pattern of ultra hopping IPA's and DIPA's ~ making enamel chipping concoctions.  There has to be simpler methods of hopping to get the same results.  For example taking all of those hops and amounts listed and mixing and adding..... I'm not knocking the beer or any good clone recipes, but I am always looking for simplifying my processes as well as ingredients.

Just my crappy little .02 

#12 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18069 posts

Posted 05 June 2014 - 05:39 AM

My nephew up in RI is trying to get friends of friends to get me some.  I'd like to see what all the wonderful hype is about. 

But when I look at that clone recipe, I see the same recurring pattern of ultra hopping IPA's and DIPA's ~ making enamel chipping concoctions.  There has to be simpler methods of hopping to get the same results.  For example taking all of those hops and amounts listed and mixing and adding..... I'm not knocking the beer or any good clone recipes, but I am always looking for simplifying my processes as well as ingredients.

Just my crappy little .02 

I will just add that HT is not "enamel chipping" 

#13 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 05 June 2014 - 05:44 AM

As I said, I have the one from the yeast bay at home and hope to get to using it in the next few weeks.  I could be nice and mail you some...but then you threw that in about 1450 :)

self-induced snark wound!  i'm not looking to do this anytime soon.  in fact i'm more interested in the recipes from a research perspective and how the information might influence my own brews.  thanks for the offer though.  :cheers:

I will just add that HT is not "enamel chipping" 

does he mean really bitter?  or really high alcohol?  b/c I find it to be pretty well balanced and easy to drink.

also - as to the beer changing over time - I am decidedly not on the forefront of the latest beer crazes.  I think I had my first HT in 2012 or maybe early 2013.  I've found that it has changed slightly since then but not enough that I can tell with the long periods of time between my samplings.

Edited by TheGuv, 05 June 2014 - 05:50 AM.

#14 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts
  • LocationCoconut Creek, FL

Posted 05 June 2014 - 06:11 AM

What I meant is really bitter, but keeping in mind that I have not had the chance to sample HT.  I am looking forward to trying it...

#15 Genesee Ted

Genesee Ted

yabba dabba doob

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 49860 posts
  • LocationRochester, NY

Posted 05 June 2014 - 07:17 AM

seems like us-05 could dry it too much. i was partially kidding regarding the 1450 b/c i know you've had such good luck with it ;)

05 won't be too dry. HT is pretty dry

My nephew up in RI is trying to get friends of friends to get me some. I'd like to see what all the wonderful hype is about. But when I look at that clone recipe, I see the same recurring pattern of ultra hopping IPA's and DIPA's ~ making enamel chipping concoctions. There has to be simpler methods of hopping to get the same results. For example taking all of those hops and amounts listed and mixing and adding..... I'm not knocking the beer or any good clone recipes, but I am always looking for simplifying my processes as well as ingredients. Just my crappy little .02

I really don't find HT to be too bitter or " enamel chipping". Most of the hops are late and cold side

#16 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18069 posts

Posted 05 June 2014 - 07:20 AM

05 won't be too dry. HT is pretty dry I really don't find HT to be too bitter or " enamel chipping". Most of the hops are late and cold side

They actually have no boil hops. Extract to bitter and everything else whirlpool and dry hop to my knowledge.

#17 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68757 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 05 June 2014 - 07:29 AM

wonder how PacMan would fare as a sub?

#18 Genesee Ted

Genesee Ted

yabba dabba doob

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 49860 posts
  • LocationRochester, NY

Posted 05 June 2014 - 07:30 AM

Do eeeeet!

#19 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 05 June 2014 - 11:52 AM

I've always found HBT to be pretty hit or miss, often miss unfortunately.

Most often miss, IMO.

wonder how PacMan would fare as a sub?

Not fruity enough.

#20 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18069 posts

Posted 05 June 2014 - 12:04 PM

Most often miss, IMO.

Not fruity enough.

I agree it will not be fruity enough.  If you are really going for HT you need to get the yeast.  Others will be close but it will not give you all you need, IMO.

In regards to the miss statement, this was from the HT thread... I am pretty sure I do not want to drink that beer.

It was my first time messing with water additions and the EZWaterCalculator had me add 112gms of Gypsum for 12.5 gallons post-boil (60 in the mash, 52 in the sparge water). That gives calcium of 442, Chloride of 77 and Sulfate of 929!? If I'm doing total hardness right, I add Ca with Mg and I still only have 553 TH. Should be interesting when it finishes.. hopefully it's drinkable.

Edited by drez77, 05 June 2014 - 12:05 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users