#41 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 24 June 2014 - 07:56 AM

Good.  The hops are similar but the beer is not HT.  I did use what I had in stock for grains though and made a few tweaks.  In reality I was not going for a clone but more of an "inspired by"

hmmm - not exactly a glowing review of the recipe.  do you think it was the wrong sort of hops or maybe you need a hop back or something similar?

#42 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 24 June 2014 - 08:09 AM

hmmm - not exactly a glowing review of the recipe.  do you think it was the wrong sort of hops or maybe you need a hop back or something similar?

I did not follow it to a T so I would not say the recipe is wrong.  Plenty follow it to a T and get a beer they say is HT.  I think HT is not a recipe you can brew exact because they are always playing with it and instead you have to try and capture for a particular time.  I have said before I do not care for HT now as much as I did a couple years ago, I like the older lower carbonated version.

#43 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 24 June 2014 - 08:16 AM

I did not follow it to a T so I would not say the recipe is wrong.  Plenty follow it to a T and get a beer they say is HT.  I think HT is not a recipe you can brew exact because they are always playing with it and instead you have to try and capture for a particular time.  I have said before I do not care for HT now as much as I did a couple years ago, I like the older lower carbonated version.

the things I like about HT:

-it seems well balanced

-lots of body, doesn't feel thin but does not seem underattenuated or sweet

-an awesome burst of hops during the entire drinking process (aroma, taste, aroma again as it flies down into my gullet).

as for the carbonation - that's easy enough for a homebrewer to adapt to their liking.  doesn't have too much to do with the rest of the recipe.

Edited by TheGuv, 24 June 2014 - 08:17 AM.

#44 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 24 June 2014 - 08:29 AM

the things I like about HT:

-it seems well balanced

-lots of body, doesn't feel thin but does not seem underattenuated or sweet

-an awesome burst of hops during the entire drinking process (aroma, taste, aroma again as it flies down into my gullet).

as for the carbonation - that's easy enough for a homebrewer to adapt to their liking.  doesn't have too much to do with the rest of the recipe.

I agree with you.  I was just pointing out that the recipe is alive and I liked it back when it was different than today.  I really think the yeast is more important to get some of the aroma than the recipe. 

#45 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

Grand Duke of Inappropriate Announcements

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts
  • LocationKnee deep in business plans

Posted 24 June 2014 - 08:53 AM

There's a Chop & Brew Episode on heady topper on youtube. I posted it before. The brewer did a lecture at a competition and talks about the history of the beer, the brewery, and how it changes. It's really cool.

httpss://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LdfySDN2mF0

#46 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 24 June 2014 - 08:55 AM

There's a Chop & Brew Episode on heady topper on youtube. I posted it before. The brewer did a lecture at a competition and talks about the history of the beer, the brewery, and how it changes. It's really cool.

httpss://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LdfySDN2mF0

This is the one I mentioned somewhere in this thread.  Well worth the hour to listen to the video.  Some great information in there.

Thanks for posting the video Shwanz.

#47 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 24 June 2014 - 09:41 AM

i'll have to check this out some night this week when i have an hour :crybaby:

#48 HVB

HVB