50 replies to this topic

#1 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16608 posts

Posted 07 June 2014 - 11:42 AM

Just found out an old friend is coming to visit in 2 wks. Want to make something quickly to have on tap. He likes a range of styles but generally lower abv. stuff, which somewhat works in my favor here. Rarely use dry yeast but right now dry yeast looks like my best option. Only used S-04 or US-05 once or twice each so any input on which yeast to go with or your preference here would be great. Any other comments on the recipe would be great too.

6 gallons (post boil)

OG-1.047

IBU-35

SRM-5

95% Fawcett Golden Promise

5% Weyermann Munich I

Mash at 154F for S-04 and 157F for US-05

Ca-50, Na-8, SO4-100, Cl-40

target pH-5.3

26g. Northern Brewer @60

15g/ea. Simcoe and Centennial 165F whirlpool steep.

45g. Mosaic 165F whirlpool steep.

S-04 or US-05

#2 Brauer

Brauer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1857 posts
  • Location1 mile north of Boston

Posted 07 June 2014 - 11:57 AM

S-04 can be turned around in 2 weeks. Cavman has done it in 10, fully carbonated, but it ended up needing another 2 days warm to clean up the diacetyl. So, 10 days warm to make sure the diacetyl is reduced and the beer will also probably be clear. 4 days cold to carbonate and clear a bit more.  US-05 might finish a little quicker, but takes longer to drop clear, for me. Cavman has turned US-05 around in 14 days, fully carbonated, but it still needed more time to clear.

#3 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68757 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 07 June 2014 - 12:29 PM

S-04 can be turned around in 2 weeks. Cavman has done it in 10, fully carbonated, but it ended up needing another 2 days warm to clean up the diacetyl. So, 10 days warm to make sure the diacetyl is reduced and the beer will also probably be clear. 4 days cold to carbonate and clear a bit more.  US-05 might finish a little quicker, but takes longer to drop clear, for me. Cavman has turned US-05 around in 14 days, fully carbonated, but it still needed more time to clear.

concur

I like the recipe as well, though I would go 90/10 on the grist

my preference would be S-04 or Mangrove Jack's M-07

#4 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 07 June 2014 - 01:54 PM

I would use 05 and gel or bio-fine. I like the recipe. I am dry hopping a apa right now that will be ready an Saturday, 14 days fire to glass. Another option would be an American wheat with S-05. 50/50 wheat and two row, 20 ibu of a neutral hop @60 and a 2oz charge @ whirlpool of something like mosaic,citra or nelson.

#5 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16608 posts

Posted 07 June 2014 - 03:37 PM

Thanks guys. I am leaning toward the S-04. I like gelatin for clarity but I have stopped using it on hop forward beers. I tend to taste my beers at each stage of the process (I think a lot of you guys do this) and each time I use gelatin it's like someone immediately (after a day or 2) turned down the dial on the hops. I could always add more hops to make up for it I suppose but I don't think I am ready for that fine an art.

Drez, your Am. wheat suggestion is just what I would have gone with but I am making this https://www.brews-br...head/?p=1453024 next week for a family event over July 4th.

#6 johnpreuss

johnpreuss

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1460 posts
  • LocationWay Up North Minnesota

Posted 07 June 2014 - 05:18 PM

I like it!  S04 will be a winner here.  I might mash lower if you want it to be a "Summer" beer so it dries out.

#7 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53911 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 08:13 AM

I did something similar HERE where I envisioned a lighter pale ale for warmer weather. It just went on tap last night when my wife tapped the last glass of my Amarillo & Citra Pale Ale. Cheers and good luck with the short time frame.

#8 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16608 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 07:09 PM

I made this today. Went with S-04. Gravity came in a touch high at 1.050. Smooth easy brew. Also upped the hops 20g/each Simcoe and Cent. and 50g Mosaic. Couldn't remember the oxygenation procedure for dry yeast so I went old school on it and shook it for 5 minutes.

One of the reasons I went with Golden Promise is because I wanted to get more familiar with it. Used it in one other brew once but couldn't pick it out of the various stronger flavored malts that were used. I have to say this is one of the best smelling and tasting worts I have produced. The Mosiac hops stood out as uniquely different and wonderful after they were added in the whirlpool and the Golden Promise seems to have a nice sweet rich flavor that I am at a loss to describe well. I have been sipping small spoonfuls skimmed from the top of the leftover half gallon in the kettle all evening. Really, really, tasty.

#9 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53911 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 07:22 PM

So you mashed at 154°? Hmm. I have been on a downward pattern for mash temps for some reason... mashing a number of beers at 149-150° because it seems like I occasionally have beers that finish too sweet. I realize yeast, water and the amount of hops will change the perception a little but I can't remember the last time I mashed over 152°. I get mashing higher for US05 because it's such a high attenuater but 157 seems quite high to me. I suppose everyone's system is different too so that has an impact.

#10 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16608 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 08:54 PM

So you mashed at 154°? Hmm. I have been on a downward pattern for mash temps for some reason... mashing a number of beers at 149-150° because it seems like I occasionally have beers that finish too sweet. I realize yeast, water and the amount of hops will change the perception a little but I can't remember the last time I mashed over 152°. I get mashing higher for US05 because it's such a high attenuater but 157 seems quite high to me. I suppose everyone's system is different too so that has an impact.

Yeah I mashed at 154F. In a moderate gravity wort with no crystal or dextrin malts and a yeast that, at least on paper, yields 70-75% attenuation I thought that was safe. Could be different as I have little experience with this yeast. I'll get an FG and report back where it comes out.

#11 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53911 posts

Posted 09 June 2014 - 07:30 AM

SO4 is supposed to be "English", right? Most English ale yeasts I have used are of the high-floccing, low attenuating variety but again... this is all personal preference and just one variable in the complex equation of beer. I used 1968 in this 312 Urban Pale Ale clone and I think I mashed at 150° because 1968 is such a low-attenuater. Let us know how it comes out and if you get it ready in time for your bud's visit.

#12 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 09 June 2014 - 07:36 AM

Drez, your Am. wheat suggestion is just what I would have gone with but I am making this https://www.brews-br...head/?p=1453024 next week for a family event over July 4th.

Can not fault you there.  That is a great recipe and I need to do a version of that soon.

Couldn't remember the oxygenation procedure for dry yeast so I went old school on it and shook it for 5 minutes.

I have seen various on it but I thought dry yeast did not require any oxygenation. 

#13 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68757 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 09 June 2014 - 07:49 AM

Can not fault you there.  That is a great recipe and I need to do a version of that soon.

I have seen various on it but I thought dry yeast did not require any oxygenation. 

heh, I aerate every batch, no matter what the yeast

#14 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 09 June 2014 - 07:58 AM

heh, I aerate every batch, no matter what the yeast

I have gotten into the habit of only oxygenating beers that I use liquid strains on.  Right or wrong it is my process.  Still makes fine beer.  I need to go back and try to locate where I read that about dry yeasts

#15 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16608 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 09:57 AM

Well I brewed this 4 days ago. Started at 63F and raised to 65F after 12hrs. and activity started. Raised to 67F after 24hrs. Krausen fell after about 40hrs and at that point I raised it to 70F where it has been clearing since. SG 1.010 right now and it tasted great . I get no diacetyl as far as my uneducated palette can discern. I'll give it another day here at 70F and then keg it cold for one week before serving. This is going to easily be ready by my 12 day deadline.

Golden Promise. I have tasted this malt before in certain beers. Glad I know what is producing that flavor now. I really like it. Kind of a sweet crackery/graham crackery sort of flavor. Works nicely here. Hops are lemony citrus and a little fruity. This should make nice summer drinking.

#16 Brauer

Brauer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1857 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 04:41 PM

Sounds very promising. 

I get no diacetyl as far as my uneducated palette can discern. 

If you are going to play with British or Lager yeast, you really need to learn how to identify diacetyl.  It can ruin a beer if it is more than a background flavor (if you are capable of tasting it). A good way to get to know it is from a Shipyard beer, if you have access to one. They usually have a level of diacetyl that will curl your toes.

#17 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 12 June 2014 - 04:47 PM

Sounds very promising. 

If you are going to play with British or Lager yeast, you really need to learn how to identify diacetyl.  It can ruin a beer if it is more than a background flavor (if you are capable of tasting it). A good way to get to know it is from a Shipyard beer, if you have access to one. They usually have a level of diacetyl that will curl your toes.

i'm always asking my wife if she tastes any buttered popcorn in my lagers.  she says she can't.  so i guess i'm good there.  i really need to do a beer flaw tasting course.

#18 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16608 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 04:58 PM

Sounds very promising. 

I agree, would be very useful to know the common off flavors better because I have, and will continue to play with English and lager yeasts. In the meantime I try to keep it safe by using a rising ferm. temp schedule and a day or two rest at the max temp at least after fermentation proper has ended.

This is good to know about Shipyard. I have seen their beers around so I will see if I can find one in a build your own 6-pack rack. I suspect I've tasted it before, that is as you say, if I can taste it. I have a couple of buddies, with whom I do not brew, that frequently present me with a pint of their stuff and it is bad. Really bad sometimes. Good odds its one of the many off flavors present in their beers.

#19 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53911 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 05:31 PM

Ettels: You'll appreciate this & I may have mentioned this before. Last year when we came up to northern Wisconsin, we stopped on the way and picked up New Glarus, Leinie, etc. My FIL always picks up Point Amber for whatever reason. We got to the cabin, unpacked everything, etc. and went down to the pier and my FIL came down with two bottles of Point Amber. He uncapped them, gave me one and we clinked bottles. The beer tasted very good. Maybe it was the circumstances and the setting. All week I drank New Glarus, some Leinie products, etc. and eventually I found myself on the deck of the cabin with my FIL again and the cooler on the deck only had Point Amber in it and we had both been drinking other (better) beers that afternoon. We popped a couple of Point Ambers and took a sip. I asked him if he tastes anything unusual and he said, "now that you mention it" and he took another sip, made a face and poured the rest over the railing into the grass. All of that to say that it's possible that you don't pick up diacetyl (and possibly other things) when you start with a certain beer and just stay with it. This beer had so much buttery & corny flavor I couldn't believe that I couldn't pick it up earlier in the week. I know you can find THAT beer in your backyard.

#20 Brauer

Brauer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1857 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 05:36 PM

i'm always asking my wife if she tastes any buttered popcorn in my lagers.  she says she can't.  so i guess i'm good there.  i really need to do a beer flaw tasting course.

You shouldn't have any problem finding a Shipyard, or one of the beers they contract brew for Gritty's. I can't imagine anyone who can taste diacetyl not being painfully aware of the flavor in their beers.  I don't like the butter description. I think that the flavor does not play well with many beer flavors, which makes it taste foul. Perhaps more like rancid butter than butterscotch, except at very low levels.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users