50 replies to this topic

#21 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16642 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 07:22 PM

Ettels: You'll appreciate this & I may have mentioned this before. Last year when we came up to northern Wisconsin, we stopped on the way and picked up New Glarus, Leinie, etc. My FIL always picks up Point Amber for whatever reason. We got to the cabin, unpacked everything, etc. and went down to the pier and my FIL came down with two bottles of Point Amber. He uncapped them, gave me one and we clinked bottles. The beer tasted very good. Maybe it was the circumstances and the setting. All week I drank New Glarus, some Leinie products, etc. and eventually I found myself on the deck of the cabin with my FIL again and the cooler on the deck only had Point Amber in it and we had both been drinking other (better) beers that afternoon. We popped a couple of Point Ambers and took a sip. I asked him if he tastes anything unusual and he said, "now that you mention it" and he took another sip, made a face and poured the rest over the railing into the grass. All of that to say that it's possible that you don't pick up diacetyl (and possibly other things) when you start with a certain beer and just stay with it. This beer had so much buttery & corny flavor I couldn't believe that I couldn't pick it up earlier in the week. I know you can find THAT beer in your backyard.

Ha ha, Point Amber, yep. That's a ubiquitous one around here. Been quite a long time since I've had a beer from Pojnt Brewery. I'll have to see if I can find a cheap pack and try it. My FIL will finish it with a smile on his face I'm sure.

#22 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 13 June 2014 - 06:05 AM

You shouldn't have any problem finding a Shipyard, or one of the beers they contract brew for Gritty's. I can't imagine anyone who can taste diacetyl not being painfully aware of the flavor in their beers.  I don't like the butter description. I think that the flavor does not play well with many beer flavors, which makes it taste foul. Perhaps more like rancid butter than butterscotch, except at very low levels.

which of their beers is the worst?  while it's true I can find them I'm not sure I want a 6-pack :lol:

#23 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68757 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 13 June 2014 - 07:57 AM

I have a low sensitivity to diacetyl, sometimes I pick it up well, sometimes not <_<

edit

the worst Diacetyl beer I have run into was Wingwalker Lager, blechhhh, dumped the first bottle

Edited by miccullen, 13 June 2014 - 07:58 AM.

#24 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54029 posts

Posted 13 June 2014 - 08:05 AM

I have a low sensitivity to diacetyl, sometimes I pick it up well, sometimes not <_<   edit   the worst Diacetyl beer I have run into was Wingwalker Lager, blechhhh, dumped the first bottle

Mic, do you think you could start out with a beer at the beginning of the session that had some amount of diacetyl and think that the beer was okay? As opposed to starting with a very clean beer and then switching over to a diacetyl-heavy beer where it would be more noticeable? I see that diacetyl is more of a lager thing but some of the English ale strains will produce some as well including 1968. This is one reason I like the idea of getting a beer to room temp and leaving it in a secondary where some of these flavor compounds will be cleaned up. It's almost as if I do an extended d-rest on every beer I make.

#25 Brauer

Brauer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1857 posts
  • Location1 mile north of Boston

Posted 13 June 2014 - 09:12 AM

which of their beers is the worst? while it's true I can find them I'm not sure I want a 6-pack :lol:

It's been a while since I had one, after being burnt by every one I tried. I remember their contract brewed version of Gritty's Bitter being particularly bad, but it might be everything they make. I'll see if I can pick up a single of something tonight, so I can give a reverse recommendation. Seadog is another big offender, and I find it strong in their Brown Ale. Unfortunately, I'm particularly sensitive to it and hate the flavor. I've picked it up in normally clean beers on draft, which I can only blame on dirty beer lines. If it is in my first beer, it seems particularly strong. If I stick with it, my perception of it attenuates a bit. I think the biggest offenders are breweries that use Ringwoid yeast. Since some breweries can use that and make reasonably clean beers, I can only think that they don't know how to use it properly. It's enough to keep me from trying it, though.

#26 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68757 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 13 June 2014 - 12:00 PM

Mic, do you think you could start out with a beer at the beginning of the session that had some amount of diacetyl and think that the beer was okay? As opposed to starting with a very clean beer and then switching over to a diacetyl-heavy beer where it would be more noticeable? I see that diacetyl is more of a lager thing but some of the English ale strains will produce some as well including 1968. This is one reason I like the idea of getting a beer to room temp and leaving it in a secondary where some of these flavor compounds will be cleaned up. It's almost as if I do an extended d-rest on every beer I make.

yeah, I can

#27 Brauer

Brauer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1857 posts

Posted 13 June 2014 - 03:39 PM

which of their beers is the worst?  while it's true I can find them I'm not sure I want a 6-pack :lol:

My local packie has a lot of Shipyard as singles. I almost bought a mixpack, but got skittish. I picked up a Fuggles IPA. The diacetyl is a lot lower than I feared, in this one. It's there, but as a more background note than I expected. It lingers on my tongue, though. I'll go back and get another later or tomorrow, to see if I can find one that is worse. Maybe they finally cleaned up their act, a bit.

They had a British Pale called Chamberlain. Perhaps that will be more obvious. I want to make sure I find one that will make it clear to you.

#28 Brauer

Brauer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1857 posts

Posted 13 June 2014 - 04:07 PM

Maybe they finally cleaned up their act, a bit.

I think I might have to take that back.  It's getting worse as it warms up. Still, a less bitter and hoppy beer would probably make it easier to distinguish.

#29 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 13 June 2014 - 04:56 PM

thanks for the tips.  maybe i'll take a trip to one of my local bottle stores.

#30 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16642 posts

Posted 14 June 2014 - 05:19 AM

Yeah thanks, Im going to see if can dig up a bottle of shipyard today.

#31 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 14 June 2014 - 05:22 AM

ettels - if you get something let me know what you get.  maybe i'll try to get the same thing.

#32 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54029 posts

Posted 14 June 2014 - 05:51 AM

Ye Olde Shipyard Diacetyl Bomb. Sounds yum.

#33 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16642 posts

Posted 14 June 2014 - 05:55 AM

If I find a bottle where I think Im going to find it then the bottle is likely to have some significant age on it too. Double bonus!!

#34 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54029 posts

Posted 14 June 2014 - 07:47 AM

If I find a bottle where I think Im going to find it then the bottle is likely to have some significant age on it too. Double bonus!!

Right. Might as well buy it, bring it home and leave it in the sun for good measure.

#35 Brauer

Brauer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1857 posts

Posted 14 June 2014 - 08:14 AM

Ye Olde Shipyard Diacetyl Bomb. Sounds yum.

Unfortunately, you can't identify beer defects without ltasting them.

Disclaimer: "[color=rgb(59,59,59);font-family:'Trebuchet MS', Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;font-size:13px;]I am not to be liable for direct, indirect or consequential damages or for any loss of revenue, profits or data arising in connection with using this material, including, but not limited to, medical, physical and psychological effects. The diacetyl contained within this beer is intended for educational purposes only."[/color]

#36 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54029 posts

Posted 14 June 2014 - 08:16 AM

Unfortunately, you can't identify beer defects without ltasting them.

Disclaimer: "[color=rgb(59,59,59);][font="'Trebuchet MS', Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;"]I am not to be liable for direct, indirect or consequential damages or for any loss of revenue, profits or data arising in connection with using this material, including, but not limited to, medical, physical and psychological effects. The diacetyl contained within this beer is intended for educational purposes only."[/size][/color][/font]

That should take care of any pending legal action. :P

#37 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16642 posts

Posted 14 June 2014 - 10:54 AM

Well crap, no Shipyard. They had Shipwrecked out of Door County, WI. and I probably had the two confused. All out of Point Amber too... are you in town Ken?

#38 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54029 posts

Posted 14 June 2014 - 11:41 AM

Well crap, no Shipyard. They had Shipwrecked out of Door County, WI. and I probably had the two confused. All out of Point Amber too... are you in town Ken?

Lulz. I'll be driving through your county (I think) on Saturday, July 19. Better tell errbody up there to stock their shelves with Point Amber so my FIL doesn't get peeved. I say screw the Shipyard. After tasting your beer I don't think you need a lesson in diacetyl. Just keep making beers the way you are and you can leave the Shipyard & Point Amber in the dust. Off-topic: It's a beautiful day here and my work week and house chores are on hold this weekend. I did do some shrub trimming (sounds like a PH topic) and other stuff but now I'm sitting in the backyard under an umbrella next to the pool with tunes on and Kolsch in my glass. Hmm... maybe a pic is in order.

#39 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54029 posts

Posted 14 June 2014 - 11:53 AM

Posted Image

Yes, my kolsch is cloudy. Damn. But it's very tasty.

Why am I posting this in Ettel's Quicky Pale Ale thread? I have no bloody idea. Cheers Beerheads!

#40 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16642 posts

Posted 14 June 2014 - 12:26 PM

Lulz. I'll be driving through your county (I think) on Saturday, July 19. Better tell errbody up there to stock their shelves with Point Amber so my FIL doesn't get peeved. I say screw the Shipyard. After tasting your beer I don't think you need a lesson in diacetyl. Just keep making beers the way you are and you can leave the Shipyard & Point Amber in the dust. Off-topic: It's a beautiful day here and my work week and house chores are on hold this weekend. I did do some shrub trimming (sounds like a PH topic) and other stuff but now I'm sitting in the backyard under an umbrella next to the pool with tunes on and Kolsch in my glass. Hmm... maybe a pic is in order.

Thanks for the kind words. Looks like your enjoying a nice Chicago summer afternoon... where it is required to have a pool nearby. And a beer...Cheers.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users