johnpreuss

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1460 posts
  • LocationWay Up North Minnesota

Posted 14 June 2014 - 06:24 PM

Posted Image

Yes, my kolsch is cloudy. Damn. But it's very tasty.

Why am I posting this in Ettel's Quicky Pale Ale thread? I have no bloody idea. Cheers Beerheads

DRUNKIE!!!!!!!!!! B)

#42 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16523 posts

Posted 18 June 2014 - 01:57 PM

Update: As of yesterday, 9 days since brewing, this is very much drinkable. Very light and crisp/dry and refreshing with nice sweet cracker character from the GP coming through, which I like a lot. The beer is almost completely clear except for a very slight chill haze at 34F that clears up as it warms. The hops seem a little muddy yet… as in, clearly citrusy even a little lemony but taste a little generic yet. But maybe thats what I'll get from this blend. Probably would drop the IBUs by about 5 next time around too but we'll see how it is in a few more days.

#43 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16523 posts

Posted 27 June 2014 - 01:58 PM

Well here's the skinny on this one 19 days in. Other than being completely clear at 34F this hasn't really changed substantially since day 9. It's a decent beer and we are enjoying it. A problem that I have with it that I can't explain is how the hops come across. They are complex and fruity in the aroma but in flavor they just taste like "generic citrusy American hops" for lack of a better term. IOW, the Mosaic stands out in the smell but not in the flavor. Don't know why. Could it be the S-04? The one other time I used S-04 I didn't like the way the hop character came through either. All three bags of hops have been used to good effect in the past so I don't think it's a poor hop quality issue.

If I were to make it again I think I would switch the yeast and go with 1272/1056 or if I needed dry again I'd use US-05 like drez suggested, but I am just guessing the yeast is the issue. One other change would be to add some carapils or light crystal or mash hotter. The beer is light and refreshing to be sure but almost too much so. It's just a little thin. I think it could use just a touch more body. 

Thoughts?

#44 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18047 posts

Posted 27 June 2014 - 04:14 PM

I have never been over excited about s-04 in hoppy beers.

#45 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16523 posts

Posted 27 June 2014 - 05:46 PM

Shoulda listened to you the first time eh?

Well, I still have a packet of it in the fridge. In what beers do you like it?

#46 johnpreuss

johnpreuss

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1460 posts

Posted 27 June 2014 - 06:58 PM

This is going to be one of the FEW times I disagree with you Mike.  I have had great success with S04 in Hoppy beers.  If you are comparing it to the results from Chico strains or 1450... no it's  not the same but I'm good with the results.  It performs in the same realm as 002 or 007 for me.

#47 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16523 posts

Posted 27 June 2014 - 08:19 PM

It's just that usually I get a nice aroma and then the taste mimics what I smell. And in this beer the aroma is great but then the taste leaves me wanting more definition in the hops. The taste has that citrusy american hop tang to it but nothing more. I just don't know what else to blame than the yeast.

#48 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18047 posts

Posted 28 June 2014 - 04:31 AM

This is going to be one of the FEW times I disagree with you Mike.  I have had great success with S04 in Hoppy beers.  If you are comparing it to the results from Chico strains or 1450... no it's  not the same but I'm good with the results.  It performs in the same realm as 002 or 007 for me.

I am hurt ... :)

I was comparing to chico but also the liquid strains of 002 and 007.  When I have used S-04 when I have a lot of hops they never seam to "pop."  Maybe it is something in my process or I ferment it to low or it is just my expectations?.  I still enjoy using S-04 for browns, porters and English style ales.  Maybe for me it has to do with S-04 with American hops vs. English hops?  

#49 johnpreuss

johnpreuss

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1460 posts

Posted 28 June 2014 - 06:09 AM

I was comparing to chico but also the liquid strains of 002 and 007.  When I have used S-04 when I have a lot of hops they never seam to "pop."  Maybe it is something in my process or I ferment it to low or it is just my expectations?.  I still enjoy using S-04 for browns, porters and English style ales.  Maybe for me it has to do with S-04 with American hops vs. English hops?  

My best experiences with the yeast has been letting ferment between 65-68dF.  Get some of the esters and let them work with the hops. 

#50 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68748 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 28 June 2014 - 12:12 PM

confused

are you saying that only the C hops don't "pop" with 04 or any hops?

#51 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18047 posts

Posted 28 June 2014 - 12:47 PM

confused are you saying that only the C hops don't "pop" with 04 or any hops?

American hops not specifically c hops. Just my experience,others may vary.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users